Sponsored by:

Starting problems '08 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:09 PM
vchris1987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problems '08 CTT

I am bit confused because 2 different Porsche Indys had different suggestions to the problem.

My car, when cold after sitting 5-6 days when I get in and start it, it starts flawlessly. After driving for about 5-10 minutes to get to the grocery or gas station the car needs 2-3 turns of the key to start. Sometimes it starts with 1st turn (very rare when hot).

Battery 6 months old, although it doesn't seem as a power problem. When the car was in for a PDCC line leak, I mentioned the problem to the mechanic who noticed it and told me next time we should clean the starter (don't know what that means). He asked 250 Euros for cleaning! wtf!!!!!!!

I was passing by another reputable Indy which is 70km far from where I leave, stopped and mentioned the problem to get a second opinion and from what he felt, he told me close an appointment cause it might be something fuel related.

P.S No boost leak, constant idle rpm, no reduced power or so, car runs great but I am bit concerned about the start issue in fear of getting stuck during a trip.
Car has 125k miles, fully serviced in July 2015 (spark plugs, oil, belt, filters,etc)

Any suggestions before any Indy starts throwing replacement parts!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm having the same issue so I'm interested in this
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Starter issues are the starter not engaging, turning slowly, or not disengaging after you start. If the car turns over fine but won't fire, then it's not a starter problem.

I'd say most of the time - starting problems are fueling related. Seems like the car may be loosing line pressure after shutdown. It's one of those things we could throw out all these various things to check, but it's pretty simple to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what your pressure is before stuart, during turnover, and after start. The gauges are fairly common, and the connection is easy to get at. I'd either throw down for the gauge, or take it to a knowledgable shop to have them take a stab at it.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 PM
vchris1987
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Starter issues are the starter not engaging, turning slowly, or not disengaging after you start. If the car turns over fine but won't fire, then it's not a starter problem.

I'd say most of the time - starting problems are fueling related. Seems like the car may be loosing line pressure after shutdown. It's one of those things we could throw out all these various things to check, but it's pretty simple to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what your pressure is before stuart, during turnover, and after start. The gauges are fairly common, and the connection is easy to get at. I'd either throw down for the gauge, or take it to a knowledgable shop to have them take a stab at it.
Thank you for the input wrinkledpants, What you say it makes sense! My mind goes to the fuel regulator but I'll let the Indy do a check just to have piece of mind and replace what it is needed!! Hopefully is not the fuel pumps which means I need to replace both.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM
vchris1987
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants

I gave it a thought while continuing the search. When I try to start the car after a 10-15 minute drive I don't hear the starter making noise.
1st turn of the key and I hear nothing just a click, 2nd turn the same. Then I remove the key wait 10-20 seconds. 3rd attempts success, but slow start not as it is supposed to be.

To my thought now: If the starter was ok, wouldn't I hear the starter trying to crank the motor in the 1st and 2nd attempt?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

That's a known issue with these cars. There's no real consensus on what causes it.

But it may be a sign that the starter is on its way out. However, it may start fine after a couple tries for a long, long time before the starter fails completely.

Mine was doing this, and cranking rather slowly for a while before I bought it (PO had the dealer look at it a few times).
I did the coolant pipes last month and replaced the starter too, as a "While I'm In There" thing.

It cranks much faster now and hasn't done the "turn key and click" since.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:38 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vchris1987
I gave it a thought while continuing the search. When I try to start the car after a 10-15 minute drive I don't hear the starter making noise.
1st turn of the key and I hear nothing just a click, 2nd turn the same. Then I remove the key wait 10-20 seconds. 3rd attempts success, but slow start not as it is supposed to be.

To my thought now: If the starter was ok, wouldn't I hear the starter trying to crank the motor in the 1st and 2nd attempt?
Sounds like a starter to me. If you turned the key and the auto start wasn't engaging, but the starter turned nice and strong when it would, then I might suspect something else. But, if auto-start isn't always working, and on top of that the starter is weak when it does work - signs point to the starter.

Quick Reply: Starting problems '08 CTT