Oil/Air Separator Diaphragm Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil/Air Separator Diaphragm Replacement DIY

I recently had a bunch of codes and a rough running engine see below:

It was unusual that they all occurred at once, but the first thing my indy checked was the easy and obvious, i.e. coil packs for the misfire. As the coil packs and plugs had only been replaced in the last 12 months i assumed it wasn't those. They suspected the PCV check valve and subsequently replaced it. This helped, the old one was all cruddy and not working efficiently.

The problem persisted, but with the new check valve is was possible to hear air being sucked through the Oil/Air separator diaphragm. When i got home i removed the cover and sure enough there was a rip in my diaphragm.

Neither Porsche nor most of the parts suppliers actually sell the diaphragm on it's own, but will sell you the complete valve cover and then obviously it has to be fitted. $500 CAD for the cover and $400 CAD for fitting

My research led to a DIY from Pelican Parts on how to replace it http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm

Suffice it to say i managed to source a supplier in Russia who is enterprising enough to sell parts to repair BMW Vanos systems and has realized Cayenne's have this issue too. Shipping was slow to Canada, but i eventually got the item, replaced it myself and now i'm a happy bunny. Cleared the codes and 1 week later it's still driving like a new car with no codes.

If anyone is looking to replace their diaphragm i do actually have a spare one i purchased or i can give you the suppliers details via PM.

As a cheap and easy $50 fix this may be something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (04-11-2024)
Old 10-19-2015, 07:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Great info. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 PM
liscio
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefan931
If anyone is looking to replace their diaphragm i do actually have a spare one i purchased or i can give you the suppliers details via PM.

As a cheap and easy $50 fix this may be something to consider.
Do you still have the spare one? I'm in Ontario and would be happy to take it off your hands. I'm not throwing codes just yet, but during my valve cover gasket replacement, I noticed an awful lot of oil in the breather hose, and the dreaded stains around the separator.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Originally Posted by liscio
Do you still have the spare one? I'm in Ontario and would be happy to take it off your hands. I'm not throwing codes just yet, but during my valve cover gasket replacement, I noticed an awful lot of oil in the breather hose, and the dreaded stains around the separator.
It may be available in a couple of weeks, i just wanted to keep it whilst i track down a boost leak, I know it's not related, but sod's law, as soon as i let it go i'll probably need it.

I can pm you the place where i got mine from, be prepared to pay for the expedited shipping otherwise it'll take 6 weeks to get to you.

EDIT: Turns out i can't PM as you only have 1 post. If you look in the comments section of the Pelican Parts post i quoted, you can find the supplier.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:46 PM
liscio
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by porschefan931
It may be available in a couple of weeks, i just wanted to keep it whilst i track down a boost leak, I know it's not related, but sod's law, as soon as i let it go i'll probably need it.
Fair enough. No need to tempt fate!

I can pm you the place where i got mine from, be prepared to pay for the expedited shipping otherwise it'll take 6 weeks to get to you.
Yep, found it in the Pelican thread already—thanks! I'm in no big rush, as I see no other symptoms other than the tell-tale oil stains around the black plastic cap, and I found some oil in the breather hose when I was pulling the valve cover off for a gasket job.

I'll order from the Russians and see how it goes. I don't anticipate *needing* this for at least 6 weeks (wherein I might need the time to recover from this valve cover gasket job. Yikes…)
Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Be sure to check the PCV valve too. If the one way valve get crudded up it can cause some issues too.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing the oil separator membrane on 04CS

It took three weeks and a day for the membrane to arrive in Eastern Ontario from Moscow, but I made the switch on Ruby this afternoon. The one I took off wasn't perforated, but it was rough and the cup was quite dirty. The new one went on well though the removal of the plastic cap on the oil separator is not a job I would readily repeat.

Whether this will reduce the oil consumption time will answer, though it usually says "NO!"
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

FYI I had issues with the various diaphragms and caps on the market for our 2008 Turbo. Turns out the 2008 has a unique AOS but the entire system is available without having to replace the valve cover. Easy repair with only two screws and a few clamps.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/957V8SEP.html

Note that the TURBO uses a different design with an extra nipple on the back side. I called Suncoast and they sold it to me for $155 at the time. part# 94810723652

Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Klain has the correct diaphram for both 955 & 957 but if you want to spend the 157 plus s+h go ahead.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Klain has the correct diaphram for both 955 & 957 but if you want to spend the 157 plus s+h go ahead.
Not familiar with Klain, can you be more specific.. I am looking for the diaphragm for my 955.

Thanks,
MK
Old 05-27-2019, 04:33 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MKITGO2
Not familiar with Klain, can you be more specific.. I am looking for the diaphragm for my 955.

Thanks,
MK
My bad, it's KLA industries.

http://www.klaindustries.net/diaphragm/air-oil.htm
Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I just realized KLA Industries is out of Tulsa, OK !
Old 07-27-2021, 07:12 PM
Amadi
1st Gear

Hey thanks for the info. Do you still have this link. I have the same issue.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:41 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 122 Posts

The KLA link still works, a couple posts above.

I also see them on ebay for a good price. KLA's link was interesting as it said to use the 4.5L part for the early 4.8L.

Quick Reply: Oil/Air Separator Diaphragm Replacement DIY