Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB charging wiring kit recommendations for 04' Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015 | 05:24 AM
rting
Instructor

Thinking of adding USB charging by wiring from the fuse box. Recommendations? Thinking of putting the USB outlet in the armrest - ideally. Only charging ... not thinking about anything else ... tempting to add iPhone / Bluetooth compatibility but not confident enough after reading the posts here about Denison GW500 kits, etc.

I have the CDR23 without CD-changer.

Last edited by rting; 10-19-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2015 | 02:05 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pop a couple of these into the truck. No wiring needed.

One in the rear of the center console and one in front under the glove box and you're all set.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters® (2-Pack) 10W 2A Mini Dual-USB Car Charger in Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Cable Matters® (2-Pack) 10W 2A Mini Dual-USB Car Charger in Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 10-19-2015 | 02:16 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I remember seeing a post where it looked like someone put some USB charging plugs in the armrest. It was a custom job, obviously, but looked really clean. I'm thinking the same thing. I hate wires floating around everywhere, and would be nice to do something that was clean and in the arm rest.
Old 10-19-2015 | 08:01 PM
rting
Instructor

Thanks Travis, I have those already. I'm thinking of wiring a male (?) USB (mini, micro, etc.) cable from the driver or passenger side fuse box, then under the centre console and some how inside the arm rest. So my phone can hide inside the arm rest ... By the way, which fuse is switched?
Old 10-19-2015 | 08:28 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Just pop this twin USB socket charger, for always-on, 2.4A fast charging:

Name:  usb1_zpszl9m5qgn.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  160.6 KB
Old 10-21-2015 | 06:39 PM
rting
Instructor

Well, I bought a cable for the CDR-220 unit and then just not use the audio portion and only use its charging function - instead of going all out with a Dension GW500 unit, etc. The following are my "fly by the seat of my pants steps" to adapt it into use in my CDR23, at least partially.

1. Take the above non-functioning cable's radio connector end, stripped / remove the green socket's black and red wire after confirming with a multi-meter that those two wires goes to the 5V and ground pins of the Apple Lightning male connector. (see picture)
2. Solder on extra length of wire ~ 2 inches for each wire. Using electrical tape, cover the exposed soldering portions of both wires. I use solid core copper wire to facilitate insertion in the next steps.
3. Strip off the last 3/4 of inch of these wires. Make sure to leave the remaining insulation on.
4. Take the power connector in the car (see picture) and insert the black wire (ground) behind and into the brown wire's slot (far right) and do the same for the red wire into the red/yellow's slot. Make sure no metal is exposed behind the socket. In the picture above, "insert behind" means "insert from above the socket while it is unplugged from the radio." I also confirmed with a multi-meter that those two wires are indeed 12V and ground.
5. Electrical tape the inserted wires together with the original power socket wires. Making sure it will not come loose upon light tugs and also double check that there is 5V power coming out after connecting the CDR23 back.
6. Close up and obviously determine where I want the charging cable to come out. I have it come out like this - from an empty button slot: https://goo.gl/photos/1RkJzPHVeeUudKwG9

It is not a great implementation but I can easily reverse this back to original ... and now I have one less wire in the cabin .. sort of. I did not have to connect this to my CDR23 but if I connect it to somewhere else, I will need more research and planning ... so may be there is a part 2 of this.

Last edited by rting; 10-21-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Many errors and URL inclusion issues with the iPhone app. Had to do it on a computer!

Quick Reply: USB charging wiring kit recommendations for 04' Cayenne S