Sponsored by:

Adding a CD Changer to CDR23?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:01 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Adding a CD Changer to CDR23?

Picked up an '04 last week with the CDR23 (Bose). Love the sound from it but I would like to add the CD changer as they can be bought dirt cheap.

Most topics on this seem to go back quite a few years with a few claiming it was plug 'n play but not much more than that.

Is this really a plug 'n play deal? I examined that whole compartment and found one large red Molex plug with about 8 wires going to it. There are orange wires in it but they are real wires and not optical. I don't believe this has anything to do with a changer.

There is another thin plug with several wires going to it and I believe this would be the power, ground and wake up for the changer.

The amp has two orange optic leads going to it and I was expecting to find two additional leads for the changer but they don't seem to exist.

Is this just a matter of buying a MOST expansion cable and plugging the amp and changer into it?

Would like to hear from someone who has been there and done that.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you send me your e-mail I will send you the 15 page doc that explains everything.

I did this to my 04 Turbo with NAV and it should be a similar process, you just need the MOST cable (~$200 MSRP).
Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

I replaced my CDR23. I have a non-Bose system. There's a thread about it somewhere. I found it to be too easy, and I didn't deal with MOST at all. Seriously: rather than add in a CD changer, replace the CDR23 with something that will take a USB thumb drive. Then you can take 50 or 60 CDs, or plug in the iPod, or whatever.

If you do decide to pull the CDR23, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. I have an 82 Shark and the CDR23 is a nice match for the 70s-era controls.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brit6
If you send me your e-mail I will send you the 15 page doc that explains everything.

I did this to my 04 Turbo with NAV and it should be a similar process, you just need the MOST cable (~$200 MSRP).
Sent you a PM!

I read a few posts about that MOST cable. Did it by chance look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/231595922119
I'm thinking it may be a Chinese copy at a fraction of the dealer price.

I also read where the CDR23 recognizes the changer without the need to have a dealer activate it. If so, I should be able to add the changer about $100 total.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I replaced my CDR23. I have a non-Bose system. There's a thread about it somewhere. I found it to be too easy, and I didn't deal with MOST at all. Seriously: rather than add in a CD changer, replace the CDR23 with something that will take a USB thumb drive. Then you can take 50 or 60 CDs, or plug in the iPod, or whatever.

If you do decide to pull the CDR23, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. I have an 82 Shark and the CDR23 is a nice match for the 70s-era controls.
I REALLY like the sound of this system and being optical, there is no easy update solution. From the reading I've done, it would be near $2,000 to get a modern NAV system that looks close to stock and performs well.

I do agree with you on the CDR in a Shark...it was my first thought when I saw it. My Weissach has a nice Kenwood with USB and iPod support along with a Bose subwoofer fit into the spare tire. Sounds phenomenal but that head unit just doesn't do the console justice like the original Blaupunkt.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It did not look like that. It looked like the one in the .pdf I sent you. I would not go with a cheap aftermarket one.

Most Cayenne's don't need any dealer intervention but I have heard a few that did.

Originally Posted by 19psi
Sent you a PM!

I read a few posts about that MOST cable. Did it by chance look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/231595922119
I'm thinking it may be a Chinese copy at a fraction of the dealer price.

I also read where the CDR23 recognizes the changer without the need to have a dealer activate it. If so, I should be able to add the changer about $100 total.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
I do agree with you on the CDR in a Shark...it was my first thought when I saw it.
I bought this one to go into mine. About as simple and plain as I could find, while having the features I want.

Quick Reply: Adding a CD Changer to CDR23?