Sponsored by:

XPEL/PPF Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XPEL/PPF Question

I recently got XPEL paint protection film from what seems to be a very competent installer... but the film doesn't lay very smooth.

There's some waves and , especially on the edges on the hood, what looks like dried bubbles and lines. I asked the installer and he said that's normal for the film.

Is this true? I thought it would lay very smooth but I want my expectations to match what the product delivers. But if he screwed it up, I'd also like to know.

I can't get a picture that shows it. What's your experience?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not normal. I had my whole car covered in it. You can't even tell it's on there. Demand a refund. He is screwing you for a crap job.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

I agree. I have the XPel Ultimate on my 958 CTT, and from a reflection / sheen perspective, you cannot even tell it is there.

My CTT is white in color, and if you look reeeeal hard, the only thing you can see at the joint between door/front-fender, is a slight difference in coloring. The Xpel fender is slightly off, but it is only really visible at certain angles with certain lighting. Plus my XPel is now 4 years old on the vehicle.

wavy-ness, and/or bubbles is NOT a good installation. I've seen this product installed live in front of my eyes, and the installer really does need to get his eyes on the film from many angles WHEN he is squeegee pushing the fluid out. If he rushes during that process, it will end up with air left under the film.

Get another local professional opinion (have another installer look at it), then go back to your guy and demand that he re-do it.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

It might not be the installer. Well it is but might not be something he did.

My friend had to do the hood of my turbo 3 times. Occasionally he receives a roll of bad film. It happens more often than you would think. There are times there is dirt in the rollers when manufacturing or it has wavy lines right from the factory. So he has to stock a lot of film and if he has a bad roll they send it back for replacement.

If it was the film he should have noticed the problem and replaced it with good film. Although if he does not apply it properly and the adhesive grabs and then he tries to pull it off and lay it back down again that can cause the wavy lines also. In either case he should not be charging you for anything less than perfection. When properly installed you can barely tell it is there. There is no finer product and the Xpel film is light years ahead of the 3M that was being used 10 or so years back.

There are times air or water bulbs will get trapped and 99% of the time they work their way out. Sounds like your guy didn't want to do the job a second time and is hoping you will be satisfied. I would complain either way you should not be able to detect the film. If he doesn't cooperate contact expel directly. the East coast rep is a very nice guy and is a Porsche owner and lover.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

Thank you for you thoughtful responses. I think the second opinion is a great idea. That way I can have a better idea if it's bad film or shoddy workmanship. Then I can have an informed discussion with the installer. I'm hoping that I don't have to involve XPEL but if the installer doesn't play nice... I might have to.

I really appreciate you guys.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,089 Posts

How long ago was the install? I'd let it sit in sun for a few days during day and see if the steaks or bubbles go away.

I have xpel on one of my cars and it is near invisible. Suntek film is invisible on my silver rs.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
GTSinAtown
Track Day

The film has been on the car for about 10 days... the cars been in the garage most of the time. I thought about dry time - I know window tint clears up as it dries. The sun may help at this point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: XPEL/PPF Question