Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Help!

So I set out to do my own brakes. Fronts were so easy.

The rears have been less so. I have diligently been following the online DIY posts for the 955/957. My rear calipers on the 957 CTTS however are not the type where u can remove the pads from the top. So I have to take the caliper off and remove them that way.

After I removed the right rear caliper I realized that the new pads I had were incorrect. So I had to reassemble everything and now I'm getting this horrible vibration sound from the right rear. Anyone know what it could be? Do u think I damaged something? I even tried disassembling everything again and reassembling everything to no avail. Pls help. Anyone!!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

It's hard to diagnose a sound from a description, but if it is noise only and not felt while driving or braking, I know you're supposed to put some grease between the pistons and pads to help pull the pad away from the rotors. If you disassembled and reassembled without putting some grease in there, maybe you are hearing the pads chattering?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vibration sound? Can you be more specific?

Can you feel a vibration? What speed is this happening at?

Have you tried turning the disk with the wheel off to get a better idea of whats going on?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Rennlist Member

I will try the grease tomorrow. Hopefully this will help

Regarding rhe vibration, I can feel it around 30 mph and up. And it occurs without applying the brakes. It sounds like a dull thumping.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:53 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

In that case, the grease won't help. This would be more of a chattering/squeaking than thumping.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'm the biggest moron ever. While pondering all night and all morning, I walked around the car and took a look at the rear left. When I started this project, I decided to loosen the lugs on BOTH rear wheels and I totally forgot about the left wheel. I torqued up the lugs and all the vibration/thumping is gone.

Thanks to all who stepped up immediately to help out!!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

WHEW!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Ok, I'm the biggest moron ever. While pondering all night and all morning, I walked around the car and took a look at the rear left. When I started this project, I decided to loosen the lugs on BOTH rear wheels and I totally forgot about the left wheel. I torqued up the lugs and all the vibration/thumping is gone.

Thanks to all who stepped up immediately to help out!!
Yep, that'll do it.....

Not long after I started driving I was on my way to a motorcycle event I was taking part in which was in the middle of nowhere and I was late

My friends and I heard this rumbling noise slowly creep into the truck I was driving and we even stopped to look but didn't notice anything out of place

It wasn't until the wheel came off and the truck went down the road grinding the brake disk away that we figured out it was loose wheel nuts

I can still see the wheel veer off, go over a stream, over a fence and roll right across a field before hitting a hedge and stopping

We retrieved the wheel and borrowed a lug nut from each of the other wheels (originals were lost obviously) to get us back on the road, apart from the brake disc with the flat spot from grinding on the road (which didn't see to make any noticeable difference) it was the perfect crime and we still made the event in time

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Help!