Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durametric question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:41 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Durametric question

So I have a cayenne and a 997. I'm thinking about getting durametric professional to help me understand my cars more and to hopefully do some more DIY simple fixes.

For all u durametric owners out there, do any of u wish you had NOT purchased it, i.e. it just sits on a shelf and was a waste of $$$. Or are u happy u have it and do you derive value out of it? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

If it's within your budget, it's a very useful diagnostic tool to have. I've used mine to diagnose everything from a defective ABS wheel sensor to a dead PDC control unit and more.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine (and an old laptop just for it) never leave the Cayenne, except to go into the 996! An absolute must-have. But just get the enthusiast; it's good for 3 VINs and you only need 2. It does everything that the pro will do, just with less VINs.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:16 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It is worth having for the service light resets alone. The added diagnostic and programming features are a huge bonus. Money well spent..... Similar to a nice set of wrenches or sockets.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an 09 Cayenne Turbo S in August. I also purchased the Durametric Enthusiast version (or whatever its called - not the prof edition). I've used it A LOT already in the past two months and don't regret the $300 purchase one bit. I don't think I need the prof edition.

- I used it to reset the maintenance reminder as mine was due in 1500 miles when I received the car. I changed the oil myself, swapped air filters, and reset the maint. reminder with a couple clicks.

- I bought a Tiptronic Transmission maintenance kit from Suncoast porsche. This weekend whenever I do the transmission filter and fluid, I will use the Durametric to check the temp of the transmission after refilling it. A lot of people use thermal readers, or just plug in the dura and wait until it reads 40 C to make sure it is at the correct temp after refill

- Also, and probably most valuable, last week I took some time and went through the list of components on the Durametric after plugged in. I found a few stupid codes I didn't care about, BUT... I found out that I had a boost leak. After more research, I found that the intercooler hose from the turbo to the IC needed a seal replaced. ($10 from a porsche parts dealer in Vegas) and will change the seals this weekend. If it weren't for Durametric I wouldn't have known I had a boost leak and may eventually caused damage to my turbo or motor. I am also swapping my boost diverter valves that are known to fail on these forums while I am in there.

- Finally, it gives me peace of mind. If I'm worried about something I plug in my Durametric and check all the components for codes. Knowing that I am not triggering codes gives me peace of mind that my Cayenne is running at its best.

--- And this is just with the enthusiast version---

Can't wait to drive my CTTS after I swap the boost valves, I hear it helps them spool up quicker and after that and my hose seals - I'm sure the boost leak code will go away.

Best of luck

BlackTurboS over-and-out...
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I WISH the Durametric sat on the shelf.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I kind of wish I hadn't bought it, but only because it can't reset the service on my 2015 CD and can't do coding on the 991.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks everyone! I'm sold.

Can someone lend some insight as to what the coding feature of the professional version will allow u to do?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Thanks everyone! I'm sold.

Can someone lend some insight as to what the coding feature of the professional version will allow u to do?
Nothing. Get professional if you have more than 3 cars, that's about it. If you want to code the car get a PIWIS.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I also have a 997, and I'm fairly certain you need the Professional version to do simple coding on the 997. It was a snap to turn off DRLs. I think in comparison, the coding features on the Durametric for the 997 are easier than for the Cayenne.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:40 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You can code with the enthusiast version...seriously I don't think the pro version does anything the enthusiast doesn't, other than work on more than 3 VINs.

With my enthusiast, I coded the instrument cluster for "silent mode" where the car doesn't beep at you when the door is open, or when your seatbelt is off. It is amazing. Not coding, but I also calibrated the ride height sensors on my turbo. You can spoof them to lower the car like using lower links. In my case, I actually raised the car back to stock ride height.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

So does the enthusiast version "marry" each car it's used on with a limit of 3?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Well how about that, I just noticed on the Durametric function matrix that enthusiast version allows coding on Cayennes and Panameras. So for the OP, with a 997 and a Cayenne like myself, then I think the added functionality of the Pro for the 997 is a must. But the cost is much more dear for the Pro version. I've had a kijiji ad up almost as long as I've had my Durametric (and VAG-COM, and a simple Land Rover tool) in an effort to recoup some of the cost.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
You can code with the enthusiast version...seriously I don't think the pro version does anything the enthusiast doesn't, other than work on more than 3 VINs.

With my enthusiast, I coded the instrument cluster for "silent mode" where the car doesn't beep at you when the door is open, or when your seatbelt is off. It is amazing. Not coding, but I also calibrated the ride height sensors on my turbo. You can spoof them to lower the car like using lower links. In my case, I actually raised the car back to stock ride height.
You mean with Durametric or you had links and removed them?

Can I ask why? Ride quality?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:38 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer
You mean with Durametric or you had links and removed them?

Can I ask why? Ride quality?
My GTS had links and it rode terribly. Very bouncy and harsh.

The factory links are not available as an individual P/N so I threaded the lowering links to their shortest point. They are still longer than the factory links so I had to code the suspension to raise for the offset caused by the longer links.

Quick Reply: Durametric question