Sponsored by:

2016 PCM & Car Play?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 PCM & Car Play?

Hi, does anyone know if the new PCM will be eventually compatible with Apple's Car Play? The dealer had no answer.

Also is there a way to dim the ceiling U-shaped LED light (the one grouped with side doors accent lights).

TIA,
Sam
Old 09-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 PCM & Car Play?

Yes I think you can just press and hold to dim the LED overhead light. It should save that level.

Double check the manual or Good To Know app for exact instructions.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I read a preview of the 2016 Carrera that said it will have CarPlay available, but that should be verified for the Cayenne. In my truck, I have a Pioneer AppRadio-3 that similarly interfaces w/iPhone. I think its the future of auto comm and entertainment. If I was buying a new Porsche that didn't offer it, I'd get the cheapest audio option available and upgrade with an aftermarket unit. In a few years, an audio head without CarPlay will be like having an 8-track. I'm pretty sure Porsche dropped the accursed MOST fiber optic bus a few years ago. Hope so, otherwise yer screwed for an aftermarket head.

Last edited by DWPC; 09-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
Yes I think you can just press and hold to dim the LED overhead light. It should save that level.

Double check the manual or Good To Know app for exact instructions.
Thanks. I tried pressing and holding the button but it only turned it off. Maybe the button is faulty. It is just a bit too bright at max. brightness for night driving.

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I read a preview of the 2016 Carrera that said it will have CarPlay available, but that should be verified for the Cayenne. In my truck, I have a Pioneer AppRadio-3 that similarly interfaces w/iPhone. I think its the future of auto comm and entertainment. If I was buying a new Porsche that didn't offer it, I'd get the cheapest audio option available and upgrade with an aftermarket unit. In a few years, an audio head without CarPlay will be like having an 8-track. I'm pretty sure Porsche dropped the accursed MOST fiber optic bus a few years ago. Hope so, otherwise yer screwed for an aftermarket head.
I remember the sales person saying the Car Play compatibility was unknown until further notice. I'll check the manual once again. Keeping fingers crossed

Regards,
Sam
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

The light is adjustable, once set it will stay at that setting, it's a bit tricky to get it, check the manual for step by step instructions.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Thanks. I tried pressing and holding the button but it only turned it off. Maybe the button is faulty. It is just a bit too bright at max. brightness for night driving.
The only other thing i can think of is that the dim option may be part of the Comfort Lighting Package (which I have as part of the Premium Plus package).
Old 09-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
The only other thing i can think of is that the dim option may be part of the Comfort Lighting Package (which I have as part of the Premium Plus package).
I have the same package but it appears to be a standard feature in all Cayennes. I tried again and it finally worked I had to press and hold the button to first turn off the lights then release at the low brightness level as the lights turned back on.

BTW, I confirmed the PCM manual does not mention anything about Apple's Car Play.

Thanks you all.
Sam

Quick Reply: 2016 PCM & Car Play?