Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Turbo 2011 stiff rides, very uncomfy. Any idea why ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
My 2011 CTT is very noticeable from comfort, normal, to sport settings so if you're not feeling a difference something is wrong. I would likely leave mine in sport all the time because the handling is so much better but it is rough so I usually leave it in normal especially when cruising down the highway. Comfort is too soft and wallowy, best left for carrying old people and transplant organs.
+1
Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GVA,
PM sent.

125shifter, I don't consider myself "old people" but I usually drive in the Comfort mode. I don't find it detrimental to handling at all. I do have both air and PDCC, though.

I'm sure my organs appreciate being transported in comfort, too!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:26 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Not sure if it will help, but the Level Control/PASM control module has 2 modes which you might be in: there is an Emergency/Limp Home mode, and a Transport Mode. A PIWIS will tell you if you're in either of those modes when looking at the actual values display. I'm not sure if your vehicle instrument cluster display would advise you of this, but it's worth looking at beyond just whether or not there is an error code present (which I'd think there would be, but never know). The PIWIS will also let you read values of the system in its drive links capabilities which might also help trouble shoot the issue as there are a LOT of inputs that the system utilizes; failure could possibly put you in Limp mode. Just some ideas to look into if you've got nowhere else to look!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:44 PM
scottl951
Formerly 'slevy951'
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

What height setting do you drive on? Middle/normal? or down. On my 04 S with air susp, I found if I drive 1 notch lower, the ride is noticabley worse. In middle position, it's fine. Just sayin...
Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 PM
vchris1987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Turbo 2011 stiff rides, very uncomfy. Any idea why ?

Are you sure that the previous owner hasn't replaced the Air. Susp. Module with something from Techart, Gemballa etc??
Mine has an extra button attached near the lighter which controls the Techart lowering module. This enables the car to sit lower than the normal Pasm settings.
I have noticed that mine when I deactivate the Techart setting the car raises more at Normal level and the ride becomes smoother and comfier.
Hope ypu solve your inconvenience soon!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I leave mine in normal and it's comfortable. When I change to sport I notice a difference (8 speed becomes 6 etc.) but, when I change from normal to comfort for highway use I really don't notice a change.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:12 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles on that '11 CT? In my recent experience with my '12 CT had a minor leak in on of the front dampers (at about 50K miles) which caused the air system to malfunction. I didn't notice how bad the ride quality was (as this degraded slowly with time) until I had both the front dampers replaced. What used to be Comfort mode is now Normal mode.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:07 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I was out of the country for some time, and did not used the CTT.
To answer about the mileage, the car has now 50k.
I usually ride on normal level, but sometimes also in “low” mode.
I do not feel a difference between normal and low.
(Like I feel no difference between Comfort, Normal and Sport modes !)

I still have some kind of ideas that the tires could be the culprit !
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
By the way, thinking to be prepared for such a ride comp, and thinking that an iPhone have accelerometer sensors, I went to the iStore, ..to find :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icar...453239854?mt=8

So, it looks like we could have a serious and neutral judge with us !

(Just got the app and install it, will do some try.)
Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
... I still have some kind of ideas that the tires could be the culprit !
You could be right about the tires as culprit. My thought is that it really depends on how "much" difference you are "expecting" to feel,... all of which could be very subjective.

My question is whether you ever downloaded & installed the iPhone App iCar Comfort? If so, did it work well? Is it worth trying?

... could be fun, even for those of us who are experiencing normal suspension operation...

=Steve
Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, 1’000% agree with you, it is subjective !

Btw, yes, I did purchase this app,
But, it looks more like a "game", ..than a real measuring tool. The user interface is quite horrible also !
Too bad that a Serious iPhone programmer is not (yet) tackling about this "challenge", as the iPhone do offer great sensors to make it happen !

See :

Name:  IMG_5084.png
Views: 3231
Size:  226.6 KB

So, frankly, very hard to get repetitive results !
(first good start imo, before pretending to use it a measuring tool !)

I suppose that the “connection” between the car “frame” and the device (iPhone) is very critical, in order to have the sensors being able to do their work !

so, back on topic : yes, subjective, but, basically, my observation is done from :
Before this CTT, we had a CS, (with Air Suspension), and did more than 110k miles with it, from new. We never had any feeling that this car was stiff. It was just just a GREAT comfy car.
And, we had differences, “small”, ..but differences !!, between “Comfort, Normal and Sport.”

..but we never had Continental (M+S) tires on our previous Cayenne !!

So : ???????????
Old 01-13-2016, 08:22 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Tires data point only - I have the Continental M+S tires (N0) on my CD with air suspension and PASM, but they are 18". My ride on Normal and Comfort is excellent, and firm but livable in Sport. When on the highway, the ride typically lowers one notch due to speed (as per owners manual) and the ride is still excellent - no difference is noticed at all.

Several months ago I had some work done that required removal of the front air suspension system before the needed work could be done. Upon re-installation of the system, the dealer kept getting chassis errors on road test - shows up in the MFD screen. Eventually they were able to reset the PASM system (with PIWIS II) but they told me it took quite a bit of manipulation. Since you are not getting chassis errors this may not be your issue, but I include the note above to illustrate that it took a top notch dealer service department (IMHO) an extra effort to get the PASM correct. Not a simple fix a just reading the codes and hitting reset.

Lastly I've attached a PDF for Troubleshooting the suspension / PASM. It sounds like your issue is related to last two listed symptoms - insufficient damping and insufficient cushioning. Might have your dealer check the suggested remedy for each.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WM 430149 TS lvl sys.pdf (83.9 KB, 636 views)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be annoying but what if you "test drive" another CTT similar to yours.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:30 AM
carbonm
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates / solutions to this? Having same issue after replacing an air shock. All feels stiff.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo 2011 stiff rides, very uncomfy. Any idea why ?