Sponsored by:

Turbo Aftermarket Muffler = JOKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:55 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Turbo Aftermarket Muffler = JOKE

It's pretty difficult to improve on the 955 Turbo's factory exhaust. This became obvious after performing surgery on a spare rear turbo muffler.

Here's a shot of the rear muffler after being fully opened up:

I'm not sure if they used human hair or not as sound insulation, but it sure looked like it (scared me when I first saw it):

The first thing that happens when the exhaust gasses reach the muffler is that they go through a full-size crossover tube:

Then, instead of having to work their way through a series of sound-insulated perforated tubing, the exhaust gasses literally make a straight pass through a single large perforated tube:

That's it. The factory turbo exhaust is literally a straight through exhaust. There is simply no way for an aftermarket manufacturer to produce an exhaust that is any more efficient. So what to they do instead? Typically, they move the crossover tube ahead of the rear mufflers and then use a pair of straight through mufflers at the rear - that probably don't fit as well and certainly don't look as clean as the factory muffler. The only possible improvement might be the use of a slightly larger exhaust tube size, but somehow I think the Porsche engineers were able to figure out what was sufficient for up to 550HP.

Some have wondered what that tube is that sticks up into the exhaust outlet on the driver's side of the muffler. It's a vent tube, designed to vent the condensation that pools in the muffler when the engine is first started. It runs all the way to under the crossover pipe:

And that's it. IMO, the factory muffler is a fine piece of engineering.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Janik
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!Can't see your muffler pictures?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Looks like they use cat hair to me

Quick Reply: Turbo Aftermarket Muffler = JOKE