Oil Change with MityVac in Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:23 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change with MityVac in Cayenne

Hi Guys,

I searched the boards and didn't see anyone posting a thread about changing the oil on a Cayenne using a MityVac. Does anyone have experience changing oil using one? I have a Mityvac that I used to change the oil on all my previous vehicles because of how easy it is.

I open the oil dipstick, enter the tube, and suction all the oil out. I then pull the plug and let any remaining drops drain out the bottom. I find it to be much less messy and easy to do in the driveway. Does anyone see any risk in doing so???

Thanks
Old 08-15-2015, 01:01 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Porsche recommends against this kind of oil change procedure, and I agree with them. You'll do a better job of draining the oil and any debris using the drain plug(s).
Old 08-15-2015, 02:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Porsche recommends against this kind of oil change procedure, and I agree with them. You'll do a better job of draining the oil and any debris using the drain plug(s).
That depends on the model. The 958 diesel is being done that way and I've heard the same for the base 958, but not sure.

In general, if the motor was not set up for the extraction method (e.g. the extractor will be at the lowest point of the oil pan) you run the risk of not getting all the oil out and leaving crud and debris in there to contaminate the new oil. Pulling the drain plug after extracting all the oil does you little good as there is no flow to help bring the bad stuff out.

If your car has a drain plug, that is going to be your best method of draining the oil in the most effective manner.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:25 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Never have used one, but I always thought the reason for using an extractor was to avoid using the drain plug altogether.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM
CDMC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the extractor hits the bottom of the pan, it should get any contaminents. One reason oils should be changed warm is that the contaminants that may have dropped out of suspension, will be picked up and more will come out (whether by extraction or drain) than if done cold.

That said, depending on the model, the extractor may not benefit you. With the V6 you have to pull the entire undertray anyway to get to the oil filter.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I`ve used fluid extractors in the past on jetski`s - no option as there`s while there is still a drain plug on the engine their is no way to access it through the hull

Always felt it was the inferior way to do it - I mean how do you know when the extractor hose is at the (optimum) lowest point? And I`m still sceptical that it will remove contaminants as well as draining via the drain plug will

Gravity is your friend in this instance and if you have to access the filter from below whats the advantage?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No way you can get all the oil out of a dry sump engine
Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The TopSider oil extraction tool is what I've been using on our cars. It does get nearly all the oil out of the sump.

For the 993, it's just a lot less messy and even though I still open the drains, less than a cup comes out. The BMW E46 has even less remaining. I had to replace the oil pan gasket and the sump was empty after sucking the oil out. The sump was also very clean as well after 155K miles.

The Cayenne gets the same process and don't see any worry of using the Top Sider. For me, it's less chance of a deluge of oil missing my drain pan!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

so it does not matter that there is no sump then, amazing I did not know that

You have a Cayenne right ?
Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, I have a CS
Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by Travis
Yep, I have a CS
You may need an oil change
Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just completed the oil change about 2 months ago.

I do need to spark plugs though....
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

First generation Cayennes are not a true dry sump. There are actually two sumps in the pan. Second generation is not even hybrid dry sump such as the first.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Hi Guys, I searched the boards and didn't see anyone posting a thread about changing the oil on a Cayenne using a MityVac. Does anyone have experience changing oil using one? I have a Mityvac that I used to change the oil on all my previous vehicles because of how easy it is. I open the oil dipstick, enter the tube, and suction all the oil out. I then pull the plug and let any remaining drops drain out the bottom. I find it to be much less messy and easy to do in the driveway. Does anyone see any risk in doing so??? Thanks
DIPSTICK has gone the way of the DoDo bird!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Hi Guys,

I searched the boards and didn't see anyone posting a thread about changing the oil on a Cayenne using a MityVac. Does anyone have experience changing oil using one? I have a Mityvac that I used to change the oil on all my previous vehicles because of how easy it is.

I open the oil dipstick, enter the tube, and suction all the oil out. I then pull the plug and let any remaining drops drain out the bottom. I find it to be much less messy and easy to do in the driveway. Does anyone see any risk in doing so???

Thanks
don't leave oil sitting in the mityvac for long as it would eat away at the seals, and you will have a big mess next time u do an oil change..

Quick Reply: Oil Change with MityVac in Cayenne