Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Cayenne - Rennfax in Dallas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need a Cayenne - Rennfax in Dallas?

Hi guys

I just moved to Texas (Boerne) and it is becoming apparent that we could use a vehicle with some cargo space and towing ability. Of course, that makes me thing of adding a Cayenne Turbo. Ideally a '06 CTTS.

I found one in Dallas at one of those lots that flips cars at auctions. Ideally, I'd get a PPI at Park Place or somewhere else, but I have no way to get it there.

OK, I just called and Park Place does NOT do PPI? I saw older posts that said they did, maybe they changed the policy. OK, RAC will do it, but I have no way to get it there.

Anyone want to sell me a nice CTT or CTTS? Close to San Antonio?

I have a line on a nice one from a Rennlist member in Dallas, but it does not have the towing package, so I'm going back and forth on that one.

Thanks
pf
Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's about $1K to add the factory towing package, and it's straight forward to install. Harness is already there in the trunk to plug the tow module into. Mount the hitch, plug in the module, off you go.

Given how fast you can rack up bills getting a CTT of this generation sorted out, I wouldn't let the lack of tow package stop me from getting a CTT if the rest of it was what I wanted, and the history was solid.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice - I'll avoid the smarmy used car lots. I agree it is best to buy a well-sorted car, preferably from an enthusiast.

Do you think it is better to be patient? I'm new to the Cayenne world, how often do they come up? I don't see a ton in the Rennlist classifieds.

Where would I put a WTB? Classifieds seems to get swamped with 911s after a day or two. Is here appropriate?

Thanks
pf
Old 07-14-2015, 09:08 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on you, really. If you're willing to open up your search nation wide, you might find what you're looking for in a month or so. If you want to stay local, could be much longer. I don't think it's uncommon to search for 2-6 months looking for the right CTT.

I wouldn't rule out the used car lots if they are local to you, and you can put your own eyes on the car. I would avoid buying nationally from a used car lot, unless you're willing to fly there and look at it yourself. I got mine at the local used car lot.

I would be patient, unless you're ok dropping 2-5K getting a car sorted out. Tires, a leaky trans seal, couple of other odds and ends, and you're well into the 4K mark. Blue book is a good starting point, but most of the cars selling at BB price are going to need a few grand in work. If you buy a sorted car, expect to pay more for it.

If you're a DIY person, the only real "expensive areas" are the coolant pipes, and the trans input shaft seal. They're tough DIY jobs, and they're expensive to pay someone to do (dealer or otherwise). The coolant pipes are do-able, but it's not a fun job compared to all the other common things you would end up doing to this car.

I will say it's hard to find a clean one. So, be patient. It's expensive as hell if you buy the wrong one.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I got mine from a used car lot. Mostly higher model BMW and Mercedes. Yep they were a little slimy. My CTTS was at a great price. $25500 US dollars for a 50,000 mile car. Found out on the drive home it needed a valve body. The reason why it was such a good price. They likely thought it needed a tranny. Besides that it had the original coolant pipes and Ts, which I quickly changed out before they failed. So for the cost of a revmax valve body, the metal coolant pipes and Ts, and changing all fluids I had a fully base lined low mileage CTTS for $28000 US. I was happy with that.

Quick Reply: Need a Cayenne - Rennfax in Dallas?