Sponsored by:

Working on your Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Working on your Cayenne

So for those of us who work on our own vehicles how do you find working on the Cayenne?

I've had a few VAG group cars and - generally speaking - find them pretty well thought out and straight forward to work on compared to other brands (I should point out that I'd consider my ability as mid range - I'm very mechanically inclined and happy to attempt most things but engine swaps or the like are well outside my comfort zone)

Curious if others agree......?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer
So for those of us who work on our own vehicles how do you find working on the Cayenne? I've had a few VAG group cars and - generally speaking - find them pretty well thought out and straight forward to work on compared to other brands (I should point out that I'd consider my ability as mid range - I'm very mechanically inclined and happy to attempt most things but engine swaps or the like are well outside my comfort zone) Curious if others agree......?
Still under CPO warranty so only routine service so far. On my 11' CS I did my own 40k service (spark plus & filters) and found working in the engine bay pretty straight forward. Also installed secondary cat bypass, but did have a muffler shop replace clamps with welds. Plan to do new brake pads, rotors, fluid flush myself. Kept receipts!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD Pcar
Still under CPO warranty so only routine service so far. On my 11' CS I did my own 40k service (spark plus & filters) and found working in the engine bay pretty straight forward. Also installed secondary cat bypass, but did have a muffler shop replace clamps with welds. Plan to do new brake pads, rotors, fluid flush myself. Kept receipts!
Got the same plan.......

I can see myself getting cat bypass pipes at some stage and will fit them for sure
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm not an expert wrench by any means. Barely competent, really. However, I've found the P!g to be very easy to work on. I haven't done any major engine work, but I've done coils, cardan shaft, had nose and tail off (Curt hitch & deer strike repairs), blower motor. I've had my indy do fuel pumps, downpipes, and brakes, and the costs have been reasonable.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I think it's pretty easy to work on. Lots of room in the engine bay, underside bits have plenty of space, and in general, the car is well put together. The bumper comes off much easier than my other audi's, and not having to take the front end apart to do a water pump is really nice.

So far, there isn't much I've ran into that I thought was a giant pain in the butt.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Working on your Cayenne

I really like working on my cayenne and so far have done, all the fluids, coils, plugs, hatch struts, brakes, and taken both bumpers off. Tons of good information on this board to help you.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's all relative to what you know. I will get flamed for this I am sure but I am a Honda guy so the Ceyenne is fussy to work on. I have a couple Hondas that I can reach in and unscrew the oil filter from above. I can do 80% of the work with a 10, 12,17,19mm wrench in my pocket. We changed a transmission in 45minthis weekend (jacked the tranny from below with a harbor freight jack and hoisted from above with a nylon strap wrapped around the strut bar.)

Having to remove a wheel and fender liner to replace the ceyenne windshield washer bottle will take me longer than the tranny on the honda.

The good news I s, there is YouTube and Google, so us first timers can read/view through the job before attempting.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For a modern car, the cayenne was incredibly easy to work on. Just be sure to get the correct socket set.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't do overly complex stuff. Haven't had to yet and it is still under warranty just in case. But I have done a lot of the maintenance - oil, filters, brakes, adblue, etc. It's very easy on the Cayenne.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having done my own work on my cars for years, the Cayenne is a typical German engineered piece of machinery. There is a certain logic to the layout, but sometimes they come up with solutions to problems (often of their own making) that sometimes call for "special tools" to be used.
I have yet to buy one of these special (insert German manufacturer here) tools for my cars or motorcycles...
Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche in my opinion has the best design for maintenance. Everything is like lego when doing maintenance work, even removing headlights or bumpers.

My biggest gripe is engine re/re... what a royal %@(*#$@ PITA that is...

Otherwise, not so bad!

Quick Reply: Working on your Cayenne