Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 ?s: What's the tow rating on a GTS, and can one check svc. history from VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 PM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 2 ?s: What's the tow rating on a GTS, and can one check svc. history from VIN?

Looking at a Cayenne GTS. It won't tow what my diesel truck will pull, but with factory hitch, how large of a car trailer could it tow?

Also, is there a way to look up service / warranty history from the VIN? On M vehicles, VIS will show this. Maybe a similar for Porsches?

Anything to be aware about on pre-purchase inspections of 09-10 GTS Cayenne?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Max trailer weight for my '06 CTT is 6780 lb. but it has an air suspension. For '09 GTS, look at the manual for the specific figure. Cayenne V8s are considered great tow cars and lots of members here use them for large travel trailers and race car trailers. Dealers can research service history with a VIN but most won't do it for a 3rd party due to privacy laws. Legality is state by state. If the dealer is selling the car, they may to do it if the salesman can get a SA to look it up, provided no previous owner info is shared.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Looks like it's over 7,000 lbs. So I could use an open Uhaul and tow my 3,500 lb. car (trailer weight is 2k).

Understood on privacy, I think. It's a vehicle for sale at a private dealer, so they don't have access to the Porsche systems. With GM, it's called VIS. I am sure Porsche has their own version, right?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

In the case of Porsche you would need to contact each servicing dealer that's shown on the CarFax or other documents you might have at your disposal. There is some global information available (recalls?) but the basic service stuff is only maintained by the individual dealerships.

I've never had a problem getting information but then I'm clear that I'm looking to buy the vehicle and only want details about the service and their thoughts on the vehicle. In my case, no one has refused providing information however I understand that may not always be the case.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Anything to be aware about on pre-purchase inspections of 09-10 GTS Cayenne?
Get a PPI done at a Porsche dealer. The two most expensive consumables are tires and brakes/rotors. You will want to make sure that those are in good shape.

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Looks like it's over 7,000 lbs. So I could use an open Uhaul and tow my 3,500 lb. car (trailer weight is 2k).
Towing capacity is 7,700 lbs. and max tongue weight is 770 lbs. the two biggest issues you will have with a UHaul trailer are: a) making the LED brake lights work and b) the tongue weight, since on the UHaul trailers cars are loaded very far forward.

You can search on here for UHaul and get some very valuable information.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 AM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the feedback. I actually saw a Cayenne (S model, I think) pulling a 911 w/ a tire rack on an open aluminum trailer yesterday. Didn't look like any sag in the rear, but you are right, they are loaded differently that Uhaul trailers, and the (race car) engine was in the back - mine are in the front.

Rear tires are worn nearly to tread bars on a matched setoff 21" Contis. No uneven wear.

Brake pads look like they have 1/2 life, no weird pulsations or pulls. On my initial drive, it felt okay, pr better than okay.

Vehicle looks like it was cared for, but at a dealer, who knows. They bought at auction and claimed 2 owners, but I see 3 on car fax. A leasing company IS an owner.

Quick Reply: 2 ?s: What's the tow rating on a GTS, and can one check svc. history from VIN?