Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question. Sorry if too dumb...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:20 AM
dave911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Question. Sorry if too dumb...

See attached image. I bought the highlighted bulb to replace the low beam (upper and outermost bulb on headlight). The system is also giving me the warning "check dipped low beam bulb" (or something close to that).

Problem is that when I went to replace the light, the housing / socket / whatver looked nothing like the unit in the package.

Thoughts? Are there different low beam purchasing options??

Thanks.
Dave

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The bulbs are identical. On the old bulb, there's a plastic sheath that surrounds the bulb base. You have to pry this open and re-install it on the new lamp. Make sure that you don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:00 PM
dave911
Advanced

Thanks Andy. Something seems wrong tho. Can you tell me which light I need for low beams bulb? H7 or D1S?? See closer-up image. I bought the D1S. If itis the D1S, then I am to remove the balast, and replace the bulb housing with the buld housing on the current light??? NOTE - I don't see any headlight upgrades on my cars VIN build sheet. Gracias. Dave
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2015, 04:46 PM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dave911
Thanks Andy. Something seems wrong tho. Can you tell me which light I need for low beams bulb? H7 or D1S?? See closer-up image. I bought the D1S. If itis the D1S, then I am to remove the balast, and replace the bulb housing with the buld housing on the current light??? NOTE - I don't see any headlight upgrades on my cars VIN build sheet. Gracias. Dave
You do not need to remove balast! Just use tool in trunk and stick it at given place under the bonnet. You will see two peaces of plastic at each side. Then when you get headlight unlocked gently pull out and detach electrical connector. Once done that pull headlight all the way out. And open big cover. Under that cover you will see D1s bulb...Follow Andy's instructions....
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave,

If you have the Bi-Xenon light package, you'll need the D1S bulbs (High & Low) otherwise, the H7 for standard Halogen lighting (High & Low). Always change both bulbs simultaneously.

Check your owner's manual on how to replace the bulbs:

2008+: Page 377 upwards
2004-2006: Page 312 upwards
Old 07-15-2015, 01:48 AM
dave911
Advanced

Yeah. It got dumber. I went to replace the bulb again and noticed the filament was intact. So not a buIb issue. Then I noticed the headlight wiring plastic coating was cracked, flaky and much missing. I betcha that's the issue. I checked online and apparently cheap flaky wiring has been an issue on Headlight assemblies for porsche and vw. Crazy.

Anywsy, my gts is still under warranty, so I'll see if they'll fix...if not, I have some liquid electrical tape that I'll apply to the wire to keep em from sparking.

I'll post results.

Thanks all (andy),
Dave

Quick Reply: Headlight Question. Sorry if too dumb...