Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 AM
motoadve
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel DIY link?

Dealer charges $600
Im not doing it with them.

Any links to a DIY oil change in the Cayenne Diesel?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the 958 forum on 6spd. I also posted in on RT too.

Edit: 6spd link

Last edited by gnat; 06-19-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added link now that I'm on a real computer
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

and, if you do want someone else to do it, I take mine to the local VW dealership. They order the Porsche oil filter for me with a days notice, which is slightly different than the VW apparently, and only charge $20 labor. Oil change comes out to just over 100 or so.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
and, if you do want someone else to do it, I take mine to the local VW dealership. They order the Porsche oil filter for me with a days notice, which is slightly different than the VW apparently, and only charge $20 labor. Oil change comes out to just over 100 or so.
Are you sure thats accurate? If so thats stupidly cheap
Old 06-23-2015, 12:38 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

yes, I just looked at my receipts, and I paid 154 for the oil change and adblue fill up last time I went. and its all parts. Labor was $20. Plus they wash my car and the service manager calls to thank me and ask if everything was ok a couple days later.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Yes, taken my to a VW dealer too but I supplied the oil filter. It was $120 out the door. Better still was that they still do it the proper way and drain it from the bottom compared to my Porsche dealers that want $375-675 to suck it out from the top
Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 PM
marky522
Drifting

Reason it's sucked out the top is the oil pan is so thin normal servicing can distort it and cause leaks, I would MUCH rather drain it from the bottom than have to suck it out.

Mark
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marky522
Reason it's sucked out the top is the oil pan is so thin normal servicing can distort it and cause leaks, I would MUCH rather drain it from the bottom than have to suck it out. Mark
Unless you have ape arms and are oblivious to common sense or are using a impact wrench (which infers you are oblivious to common sense) there is no way you are going to distort the pan. Even assuming you had the strength to warp the pan, the threads for the plug are going to strip out far sooner. That is why there is such things as a torque wrench and torque specs.

The real reason they use the suction method is money. Oil changes were already given to the least experienced people in the shop, but this way they don't need the use of a lift bay and it can be done faster while they still charge the same amount. Any damage due to not getting the dregs out won't show up until well after the warranty expired so that isn't a concern to them.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 PM
marky522
Drifting

Oh really? Well then, I apologize for my misinformation, please disregard my post.

You know it's been a few years since I have been truly active on the rennlist forums, and I recently have been browsing and trying to just get more involved. If this is how my attempts are recieved then I won't bother. Had you asked where/how I have my information instead of your desire to make assumptions you would have realized I'm not talking out my *** like your assumptions appear to be, rather I am a Porsche Gold Technician with almost a decade of experience, and beyond my personal experience I asked this VERY question to an Audi Master tech/shop foreman who just happened to be involved with one of the original cases of a distorted oil pan causing the oil leak. If they are torqued to spec enough times it is enough to deform the oil pan.

Expanding further on your assumptions, I can complete a proper service on a Cayenne Diesel considerably faster by draining the oil as opposed to sucking it out. Services are not given to the least experienced tech in the shop, and to properly complete the service you lift it anyway!

Hope this helps!
Mark
Old 07-08-2015, 01:34 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

First of all, I'm snarky and if you can't get past snark on the Internet then it's really not the place for you. I'm sorry if my personality offends you, but your claim is ridiculously outrageous. Even if you could over torque the plug to double the value without the threads stripping, that's still not going to warp that pan while its bolted in place. As far as cumulative approved torque warping the pan, maybe that would be an issue towards the end of a CPO. I doubt it, but maybe and certainly not in a large percentage of cars.

If you are a Porsche Tech, then you should recognize the information in my linked thread as being obviously derived from PIWIS. Having that position you have access to that documentation yourself and should be perfectly aware that (at least as of Jan 2015 when I last needed to verify nothing changed as it was time for my next OCI) Porsche offers no preference as to which method to use and there is no suggestion that warping the oil pan is any kind of concern. Not that that means much (hello IMSB, bore scoring, coolant pipes, etc..), but they aren't telling their dealer network even if they know of such a problem.

As far as how it's done, I've watched the process in two Porsche dealerships as well as a few Indies and no one using the suction method puts it on a lift. Lifting the car would hinder the process anyway. It is also considerably faster compared to a proper drain as not only are you not wasting time lifting it (and removing the under panel in the case of the Cayenne), but you are forcibly removing the oil rather than waiting on gravity to do the job (takes 30-40 minutes for the CD to stop dripping at operating temp).

In regards to who gets assigned the work, if a shop is assigning an experienced tech to do oil changes then either the shop does not have enough lucrative work or the shop manager has zero business sense. It's simple economics that the price for the service is fixed so they are making more money by having the least experienced tech (e.g. cheapest) doing the work. If you are a senior level tech and your shop is regularly wasting your time with the simple stuff, then you should find somewhere that respects your skills more.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM
marky522
Drifting

Ok, while i realize at this point it is pointless to continue this i will respond one last time...

I'm done debating the oil pan concern, Porsche has never had us suck out the oil till we had the Hybrid, and now the Diesel - ironically both Audi engines... My professional opinion is i would rather drain it traditionally, to properly service the vehicle it needs to be lifted anyway to check the other components for any issues/concerns and be able to give the owner a complete status of their vehicle. And i dont feel like i get 100% of the oil by sucking it out. I personally wasnt involved in an oil pan leak concern, likely because we were never draining them via the pan.

Ha, your assumption is they EVER tell us anything, there is a reason they decided to change it up, but as with everything else, we only know that reason if its necessary, like i said before the only reason i know about it is from the Audi master tech next door.

I already mentioned this but anytime a vehicle is in the shop for a service it gets an MPI which requires the vehicle to be lifted to be properly looked over.

And your completely incorrect regarding the assignment of work, Porsche Shops are different than most shops, Services/brakes/tires is where i turn alot of my hours and allows me to look vehicles over for other concerns, I would much rather be doing more "Technical" work most of the time. Besides that, the service goes to whoever is available to do it at that point. Your "simple Economics" dont work in this brand, every tech is doing services. a Porsche Customer values their Time more than anything else (typically) so if you have a lube tech changing the oil and not an experienced tech hes not going to be checking for the normal concerns and the customer will be upset when they have a flat tire in 2 weeks because they weren't told they needed tires, or a leaking water pump, or that Cardan Shaft thats on its way out...

Back to work...

Mark

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel DIY link?