Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered with links

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered with links

After a lot of research I bought a Durametric.

It was a no brainer, not only can you lower it you can communicate with your truck at a whole new level. Read and clear codes etc. Great. Except for the fact I can't get the software to fire up on my PC! Customer support was great but in the end I returned it. I was only out shipping, not a big financial loss but was a waste of time

I then called up the local Craigslist guy offering Durametric services. I book an appointment and meet him at his townhouse 45 minutes away. After an hour of talking and an hour of trying to lower it, we gave up. We could not get the settings to save. Handshake, see ya later. OK a few more hours lost.

I'm pretty fed up at this point so I revert back to my original plan, lowering links. Adjustable Air Ride advertised on Craigslist (common theme) for links and install $380. I called him up, booked an appointment that worked with my ridiculous schedule and watched him work his magic. We lowered it 1". It was obvious the ride height between the rear L/R were off. He quickly dialed it out and had me back on the road within an hour.

this story sound familiar....?

Alas she is now lowered... (sigh) i'm in love.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images       
Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

It looks good. How's the ride? I just bought the H&R ETS unit for my 958 and am installing on Thursday.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the links, $120 bucks on fleebay and took 30 minutes to install.

Durametric sounds nice but after reading all the posts I didn't want to deal with the hassle is something went wrong. Better off just tricking the system to think it's higher.

Glad it worked out for you, sorry about all the wasted time.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 PM
jkarp
Advanced

Is the ride bumpy at all? I just installed Airmatic links last week. At the lowest settings, there's about a 3 finger gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well. If I drive on that setting, the car is unbelievably bumpy and pretty much not drivable. Yours looks lower than mine, so I'm wondering how it drives!

Thanks... Josh
Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkarp
Is the ride bumpy at all? I just installed Airmatic links last week. At the lowest settings, there's about a 3 finger gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well. If I drive on that setting, the car is unbelievably bumpy and pretty much not drivable. Yours looks lower than mine, so I'm wondering how it drives!

Thanks... Josh
I'm probably not the best guy to ask about ride, all of my previous cars I've had cranked right down. Early impressions confirm it feels exactly how I thought it would feel:

1) more agile changing direction
2) increased road feel and feedback
3) stiffer
4) looks better

I wouldn't describe it as bumpy per say, the dampening feels composed and compliant. It handles much, much better! It checked all of the boxes for me.

All of this does come at a cost however, in sport mode it's pretty aggressive. By the time I got home I found myself in chassis = normal with sport = yes
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 PM
jkarp
Advanced

Thanks for the quick response! I'm wondering if I have the rear too high or something because it definitely doesn't feel right! My previous cars (M3's, M5 and 911) have all been pretty slammed with coilovers, so I'm pretty used to stiff cars as well. I'll do a height adjustment and see if that helps!

Thanks again... Josh
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
It looks good. How's the ride? I just bought the H&R ETS unit for my 958 and am installing on Thursday.
Ride is great. Can't wait to see pix of your beast!

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
I did the links, $120 bucks on fleebay and took 30 minutes to install.

Durametric sounds nice but after reading all the posts I didn't want to deal with the hassle is something went wrong. Better off just tricking the system to think it's higher.

Glad it worked out for you, sorry about all the wasted time.
Totally agree. Ah, i'm never bitter about wasted time.... At least we have time to waste!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

i have links too....i had to raise a little as it was too bumpy.
it's fine in the city but on the highway, it lowers to sport mode height above 78mph...it gets way too bumpy so i just raised it a little. it looks so much better way lower but oh well....
Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response! I'm wondering if I have the rear too high or something because it definitely doesn't feel right! My previous cars (M3's, M5 and 911) have all been pretty slammed with coilovers, so I'm pretty used to stiff cars as well. I'll do a height adjustment and see if that helps!

Thanks again... Josh
Cool keep us posted on the results. I'm interested to know if it resolves the handling woes. Our gap is similar, i'm 3 front and maybe 3.25-3.5 in the rear. Could alignment or tires play a factor?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 PM
jkarp
Advanced

Yeah, that could definitely be contributing to the ride quality. I just took delivery of the car a few weeks ago and I'm looking for new wheels, so I'm not trying to put too much work into it now. I'll keep you updated!

...Josh
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

155, I love the photo of your previous 968 by the way.. looks amazing!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
155, I love the photo of your previous 968 by the way.. looks amazing!
Thanks! It was an awesome car and build. I was sad to let it go but have a history of doing projects like these and flipping them. The Cayenne replaced my daily driver ('10 Civic SI) and the 968 which constantly needed work. With little kids at home I'm spending more time in nature, parks and doing stuff rather than hanging out at the race track.

No regrets.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Rmayrap
5th Gear

i also had issues with durametric. i see you have a GTS, from the info i gathered the GTS is already much lower than the other models which means there is very little room for the durametric to be able to lower the car. i dont think anyone with a GTS has been able to lower with the durametric. i kept getting errors and couldnt save any new settings so like you i also gave up. i will also be buying links.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really good ,I like the stance...I ordered links as well...I can't wait.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Yeah, that could definitely be contributing to the ride quality. I just took delivery of the car a few weeks ago and I'm looking for new wheels, so I'm not trying to put too much work into it now. I'll keep you updated!

...Josh
Hey Josh i ended up going back to stock ride height. It took me a few weeks of daily driving to figure this out. The truck felt dangerous at higher speed and it would give the hoopty lowered truck shudder over bumps. It was more bearable in comfort and normal modes but ultimately it felt like a step backwards.

For anyone considering lowering I would advise not!

Quick Reply: Lowered with links