Trailer Hitch Install Problems! - Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 PM
puunda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Hitch Install Problems! - Help

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Westfalia hitch for my 04 CS, along with a tongue kit and towing module. The tongue kit and the module are genuine Porsche/VW, and I believe the hitch itself is also genuine Porsche/VW, just made by Westfalia.

My first issue was the M14 bolts, which I managed to get and I installed it yesterday. That's where the problems began.

When I start the car the electronics went crazy! The radio and A/C would turn on for a bit, then reset, then turn on, then reset over and over again. The wipers would come on constantly even though they're on rain detect mode. The horn would even honk occasionally. The dash shows "System Fault Workshop" with a key icon.

This got me really panicked, but I thought it may just be that the towing module wasn't programmed? So I loaded my trusty FVDI (Chinese AVDI clone), and of course right then it kept crashing so I couldn't use it.

I've since uninstalled the hitch and module (cause I needed the car), and all the errors are gone.

The towing module has the part number 7P0 907 383 F. I believe it's the right one for my car.

Are all these issues consistent with simply the towing module not being programmed? If so I will install it and get it programmed at the dealer (assuming I can't do it myself).

If this seems way bigger problems than that, then I will just write off this little project.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be part 7LO 907 383, not 7PO.....
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 AM
Orantes
Racer

Like this.....
Old 05-31-2015, 03:54 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Right. Here is my one. Clearly it's 7P0 ...

So do I have the wrong one? Cause when I searched for 7P0 ... on google it does say it's for Porsche.
If I bought the 7L0 version ... everything should work? I shouldn't need to get it programmed?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Orantes
Racer

They are plug and play units, no programming required. I believe yours is the wrong part, every one I have ever seen in my travels is 7LO.. I went through this whole module thing earlier this year, the photo I have posted is the one now in my Cayenne. I pulled it from a wrecked 04 Turbo S. I can't guarantee all your problems will be solved, but there is no doubt yours has the wrong part number.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:50 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

7L0 907 383 G is a unit I pulled from my 2004 VW Touareg. I believe the unit you got is for the newer 958 platform, 2011+ cars.

You want at least a G version of newer, if you want to be able to apply updates, the older ones could not be field programmable.

If you buy a used one from Europe, they do need to be coded for ROW/NA Not sure what it does. But I had to change it in my Touareg.

From VW:

Effective immediately, when you are installing trailer hitch kit #7L0092101U, please inspect the control module that is included in the kit. If the part number 7L0907383E appears on the control module, you need to order in a new replacement control unit 7L0907383G with hardware code (HW54) and Software (SW08. The newer index “G” part number does not require flashing.

The reason for this requirement is that With the Base CD 7.01(or higher) level for the 5051 the flashing of the control module in accordance with TB Group:01 Number: 05 -12 Date July 27. 2005 is no longer possible.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:14 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by puunda

This got me really panicked, but I thought it may just be that the towing module wasn't programmed? So I loaded my trusty FVDI (Chinese AVDI clone), and of course right then it kept crashing so I couldn't use it.
Could you send a link to the FVDI unit you purchased?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by puunda
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Westfalia hitch for my 04 CS, along with a tongue kit and towing module. The tongue kit and the module are genuine Porsche/VW, and I believe the hitch itself is also genuine Porsche/VW, just made by Westfalia.

My first issue was the M14 bolts, which I managed to get and I installed it yesterday. That's where the problems began.

When I start the car the electronics went crazy! The radio and A/C would turn on for a bit, then reset, then turn on, then reset over and over again. The wipers would come on constantly even though they're on rain detect mode. The horn would even honk occasionally. The dash shows "System Fault Workshop" with a key icon.

I've since uninstalled the hitch and module (cause I needed the car), and all the errors are gone.

The towing module has the part number 7P0 907 383 F. I believe it's the right one for my car.

Are all these issues consistent with simply the towing module not being programmed? If so I will install it and get it programmed at the dealer (assuming I can't do it myself).

If this seems way bigger problems than that, then I will just write off this little project.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Assuming all parts are the correct parts and installed correctly, you still need to code the trailer module with PIWIS II system. It's a simple process but needs to be done. Once coded you can then test for errors and make necessary corrections. I don't think Durametric can code the trailer module in 92A/958 vehicles, but you may be ok with an '04 since it uses the older encryption. Safest bet is to let the dealer do it.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Orantes
Racer

I have an 04 like the OP. I installed the hitch and the module myself, in my garage. No coding required. It is plug and play.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by touareg
Could you send a link to the FVDI unit you purchased?
This is the FVDI I got.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/fvdi-a...-1b|4279223916

I reinstalled Windows on my laptop, and everything seems to be working again.

I can only find the Version A or E of the 7L0907383
Does it matter for me? In what circumstances would I need it reprogrammed?
Do I need to buy one from Australia? Or can I get a US or EU version?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:45 PM
touareg
Drifting

So this is one TB, that the module has to be updated or flashed, been over a decade, but I do remember a lot of issues with LED trailer lights, and other power issues.

http://www.billswebspace.com/vw.tb.0...rogramming.pdf

This is the recall for the older modules E to replace with a G unit that does not need to be flashed, and as I recall, older modules than that can NOT be flashed.

http://www.billswebspace.com/touareg...es20050912.pdf

These are the work arounds for LED lights, that work on the G only module.

http://www.billswebspace.com/vw.tb.9...ntally_869.pdf

Last I heard, for 2009 there was an N module, so in theory a G can be flashed to N.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Orantes
Racer

If you go back to my earlier photo, you'll see that my unit is an "E". There was no flashing or programming. I am in Sydney, picked it up from a wrecker. No need to over-complicate the process. However, you will need to put load resistors on your trailor to prevent the LED light errors.....but that's the only problem you will have. I went through this whole issue only a few months ago, so I am very familar with whats required for your 04. No dealer or computer involved.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch Install Problems! - Help