Sponsored by:

Undecided Cayenne vs. Cayenne Diesel vs. S

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Good point about the more frequent oil changes for a diesel. That def needs to go into your calculation....T
In my experience and tracking on mine, the fuel savings covers the extra cost easily. Especially if you DIY or go to a more reasonable shop that the dealer.

Now the inconvenience of time for the extra OCIs is another issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM
icechunk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same boat

I was in the same situation as the OP. Lease on the 911 was coming to an end and due to personal reason wanted an SUV this time around. You have to remember you are moving from a sports car to an SUV. The Cayenne will feel completely different no matter which trim you will get.

I drove the S, Turbo and the Diesel. For me, the Diesel felt the nicest of the 3. It was smoother, heavier thus felt more planted. If you are looking for a "SUV like feel", then the Diesel is awesome. The S had a more even torque curve but was too car like and not that fast.

Not to mention the lease on the Diesel makes the most sense because even Porsche Financial cannot deny the high residuals that the Diesel maintains.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Atlanta_Cayenne
Track Day

Originally Posted by icechunk
I was in the same situation as the OP. Lease on the 911 was coming to an end and due to personal reason wanted an SUV this time around. You have to remember you are moving from a sports car to an SUV. The Cayenne will feel completely different no matter which trim you will get.

I drove the S, Turbo and the Diesel. For me, the Diesel felt the nicest of the 3. It was smoother, heavier thus felt more planted. If you are looking for a "SUV like feel", then the Diesel is awesome. The S had a more even torque curve but was too car like and not that fast.

Not to mention the lease on the Diesel makes the most sense because even Porsche Financial cannot deny the high residuals that the Diesel maintains.
What do you mean by "not that fast" in regards to the S. Was it a 2015 S? It's 2 full seconds faster 0-60 than the diesel.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM
icechunk
AutoX

Originally Posted by Atlanta_Cayenne
What do you mean by "not that fast" in regards to the S. Was it a 2015 S? It's 2 full seconds faster 0-60 than the diesel.

Sorry, I meant considering my and the OP's situation - coming from a 911 the Cayenne S is going to seem slow.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Diesel is not "fast" but I use mine as a daily and I have NEVER felt it was slow in everyday traffic driving. Plenty of pickup on road, freeway, and passing. Granted I haven't driven the New S with the turbo motor... I'm guessing that has good lower end grunt now like the diesel.
Fast as my RS? Hell no, but Its also not going to get me thrown in jail when I max out 2nd gear.
Biggest issue I have with the diesel is messy *** fuel pumps and 5k oil change. Adblue is not an issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
icechunk
AutoX

5k? Isn't the recommended interval 10k? How much is it at the dealer?

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Biggest issue I have with the diesel is messy *** fuel pumps and 5k oil change. Adblue is not an issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I just grab a paper towel to put between me and the pump handle. Works fine

The low OCI is annoying. No two ways about that.

It was when initially released in the US, but they quickly dropped it to 5k and updated everyone's OCI counter when they came in for their first visit.

It is still 10k (as far as I know) for the gas motors.

The price varies by dealer. Some people report getting downright reasonable prices, but all 6 dealers remotely close to me want $400+ and one wanted either 625 or 675 (I'm starting to forget). A local VW dealer (Valvoline) will do it for me if I supply the filter for $150 I think it was and my Indy (Motul) just did it for about $200. I've also done 2 myself (Valvoline) for <$100.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,105 Posts

2013 US diesel is 5k.

I live in CA, we have ultra low sulfur diesel... so probably can go longer.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:54 PM
08M6
AutoX

Too bad you can't get the V8 Diesel in the US.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I have not driven the S but I spent a couple months in a 2013 base Cayenne and really did not like it so much - engine too noisy mostly and not in a good way. I went back and drove a diesel and immediately bought a 2014 CD Platinum already built and on the ship. The diesel is SO much better. Feels much more powerful and is super on road trips. I have been told by my dealer that the 2015 diesels are back to 10,000 oil changes. I did my last one myself and it was pretty easy.

Quick Reply: Undecided Cayenne vs. Cayenne Diesel vs. S