Buyer's advice Cayenne 958

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Buyer's advice Cayenne 958

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Cayenne 958 3.0 V6 Diesel. I'm in the EU and the diesel is the better option for me. Lower taxes, lower fuel consumption etc.

While doing my research I'd like to know some buyer's advise on the Cayenne 958. Are there any things I should especially look out for?

Currently I'm also debating whether I want air suspension or not.

Why I'd like it:

1. Ride comfort
2. Lower center of gravity at high speed

Why I don't like it:

1. High repair cost of anything fails (the car will be in my ownership for quite a few years to come)
2. Will I ever use it?
3. I don't feel I need it, it's just another luxury feature

What are your thoughts? Any advise on buying this model?

Many thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
snzuloz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can possibly help out with a few things, I recently picked up a 2015 CD. It is equipped without air suspension (to be honest not sure if it is available with it in North America). My previous CTT had the air suspension, I actually found I didn't use it whatsoever, certain ride heights would feel out of place (bouncy) or altered the comfort I found. Later on after the tire wear was noticed I had it aligned in the lowered section and it stayed there.
The 2015 handles excellent, does everything I need it too and the ride is extremely good I find. It's really up to the individual if they think all that adjustability is actually going to do anything for them down the road. From a cost perspective I can see some potential "if" things were to go wrong with the suspension, for the most part I think they are pretty reliable though.
Post up some pics when you make your decision!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Being in the EU if it is your budget you might look at the V8 diesel as you have that option that we in the US do not.

Mine is 2.5 now and has 20k-ish miles on it and I've had no significant issues to speak of. If you are getting a used one, get a good PPI done preferably by someone that knows Porsches and the TDI motors.

As far as the Air Suspension goes (yes it is available in the US, it's PDCC that isn't), it really depends on what you'll do with it. If you will be regularly towing or carrying heavy loads in the back, then it is a nice feature due to the load leveling function. If you are going to spend a lot of time on the track with it, then it still could be a nice feature. If it is just mainly going to be a daily driver, then it's value goes way down in my opinion. Part of it also depends on the wheels you get too. Some people report the ride being a bit too harsh when running 21" or bigger wheels with low profile tires are prefer the AS to smooth it out.

Personally I put my money elsewhere and have the standard suspension with the standard 18" wheels and I've been happy with it. I took it to an AutoX class to get better acquainted with the vehicle and it performed remarkably well. I have not gotten close to it's listed top speed (135), but I have broken triple digits and had no issues with stability at that end of the spectrum either.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Big vote for the diesel here. Standard suspension is a bit harsh around town, but perfect at highway speed, we have 19" wheels. I really don't use the Pano roof that much, a sunroof would have been ok if I needed to save the money. Highly recommend the Premium Plus package with the 14 way seats, Bose system is excellent for my needs.
It is a highway star- at least in the US, power is perfect for 80+ driving, all day long. Range on a tank of fuel is outstanding. Its our long tripper, but the cargo hold fills up fast. Family would rather pack light and go via Porsche Cayenne than our last Toyota 4Runner.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

Thanks guys, sounds all good. I appreciate the input.

I have decided to go for standard suspension but with the pdcc. The V8 has higher co² and therefore gets taxated at a higher rate. I'm in Belgium and it's quite a big price difference. So my mind is on the V6 diesel which is perfect for my needs.

Main use would be highway and travelling.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a 2014 Cd with over 33,000 miles on it and no Air Suspension, but I do have PASM and like the ride. Had A/S on the 2008 Cayenne and never used it, and you are right it is an item that can cost money to repair after the warranty. I tow an enclosed trailer and don't find I need A/S
Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stijn_b
Main use would be highway and travelling.
V6 will be excellent for that.

As mentioned, the space inside can fill up quick for traveling so make sure to get one with roof rails. It not a common option here in the states (seems like all the dealers order without and many people don't order them) and dealers here claim it can't be retrofitted.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
stijn_b
Advanced

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

I agree on the cargo space. We have both 4Runner & Cayenne, and there's a big difference behind the rear seats. But the family STILL chooses the Cayenne (heated rear seats makes a difference in these cold months too).
@PJ Cayenne: So funny how many of our families are MUCH ALIKE!!

Best wishes to Stijn_b in the v6 CD. Sounds like you've chosen all the right options/features that will fit your needs!!

--------------------------------------------
=Steve
'12 958 CTT
'91 964T

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-11-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: maybe my browser doesn't allow to include a quote from prior post?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

[QUOTE=bweSteve;12111596]I agree on the cargo space. We have both 4Runner & Cayenne, and there's a big difference behind the rear seats. But the family STILL chooses the Cayenne (heated rear seats makes a difference in these cold months too).
@PJ Cayenne: So funny how many of our families are MUCH ALIKE!!

Best wishes to Stijn_b in the v6 CD. Sounds like you've chosen all the right options/features that will fit your needs!!

--------------------------------------------

Heated rear seats are a huge hit.
We use soft luggage, roll on type bags that sort of conform to the cargo space. Problem is when we travel, its all the extra junk, 4 laptops, 4 iPads, backpacks, basketballs, books and food we'd never find at our destination.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Cayenne 958 3.0 V6 Diesel. I'm in the EU and the diesel is the better option for me. Lower taxes, lower fuel consumption etc.

While doing my research I'd like to know some buyer's advise on the Cayenne 958. Are there any things I should especially look out for?

Currently I'm also debating whether I want air suspension or not.

Why I'd like it:

1. Ride comfort
2. Lower center of gravity at high speed

Why I don't like it:

1. High repair cost of anything fails (the car will be in my ownership for quite a few years to come)
2. Will I ever use it?
3. I don't feel I need it, it's just another luxury feature

What are your thoughts? Any advise on buying this model?

Many thanks!
-----------------------------------------

@ Stijn_b - If & when you've made the purchase, please give us the run-down. Would love to know what you bought, & if you went with the air suspension? etc. THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Buyer's advice Cayenne 958