Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this tire condition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Whoa! Those tires are absolutely the worst for snow. If there is any snow, put it on a truck have it delivered to the nearest tire shop for some dedicated ice radials. Lots of threads here for that. Many of us drive in snow and the cayenne works great.
The dealer only suggested snow tires? He should have insisted.
Where do you live? Sounds like somewhere that snow is usual. Get a set of good snow and ice tires NOW. You will find your problem solved.

On the other hand, is this someone trying to play with us? If not and you are unfamiliar with snow, just get new snow tires. Even many new all seasons are no good in snow.
You should read this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-cayenne.html
I live in Chicago. Frequent snow. I am very disappointed with the situation, I can't easily manage two sets of wheels.

I put low value on summer handling, road noise, and cost. Need a year round tire that is effective in the snow. What do you think would be the best one? Perhaps the Continental Cross Contact LX Sport??
Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
Do you know at which ride height do you drive mostly? The rear tires of my 12 CT were shot at 15K miles. But I have fixed the problem and managed to put another 50K miles on a new set of tires.
It's driven almost exclusively in Low.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mickvk;12078400] I can't easily manage two sets of wheels.

QUOTE]

You bought a $70k plus car yet you can't manage 2 sets of wheels ? This thread is becoming odder and odder.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Originally Posted by ubermich
FYI. Those wear bars are manufactured at 2/32" on almost all tires. So in the second picture, you are right at 2/32" on the outside and at or under 1/32" on the inside. That is wear I would consider normal (or even desirable for this truck).

The difference from outside to inside is caused by negative Camber. The negative Camber helps maintain a larger contact patch during cornering, when the weight of the vehicle shifts toward the outside of the tire.

If you rub your hand along what's left of the tire near the shoulders (edges) do the tread blocks feel like sharks' teeth?

And can you post the DOT numbers from the tires? The inside or outside DOT number may have an extra 4 digits, I'd like the one that includes the extra 4.
Scorpion Verde. 274 45 R20. DOT XN 7B K061 0313.
Thanks for the hlep.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 PM
mickvk
AutoX

[QUOTE=Shannon123;12078432]
Originally Posted by mickvk
I can't easily manage two sets of wheels.

QUOTE]

You bought a $70k plus car yet you can't manage 2 sets of wheels ? This thread is becoming odder and odder.
No, I bought a $147,000 car which is irrelevant of the fact that I don't want to store another set. I'm not trying to put you guys on, I'm simply reacting to theses circumstances and giving it my attention now. Tying to understand it is all. I appreciate the input and help.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Conti DWS is a really popular all season tire and comes in both 275/45/20 and 275/40/20. It will get you through the winter just fine in Chicago, especially since you're not dealing with steep mountain roads. I run it as a summer tire, and it's one of the top rated tires on Tire Rack. If your dealer can't get them, then have them shipped to the dealer for install. Or, find a local tire place that includes free rotations.

I'm guessing the dealer is servicing the car (oil changes, etc). Not sure what your current oil schedule looks like, but I'd suggest getting the oil changed at 5-7500 miles, and having your tires rotated at that time, as well. There is really no way around the fact that a heavy and powerful SUV like the Cayenne is going to get uneven tire wear if you don't rotate them. I'm rotating my tires at 6K mile intervals (free lifetime rotation at Discount Tire) and so far, my tires are all wearing really well.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corso
Can you elaborate?
Originally Posted by mickvk
It's driven almost exclusively in Low.
Figured. And that is your issue. The CT sits slightly higher at each ride height compared to the other models. The alignment, especially in the rear is aggressive when the car is driven in low ride height. The rear camber, if I can recall correctly was more than -2 degrees. I bought my CT brand new and used to drive it in low all the time. My rear tires were shot at 15K only. The solution is simple.

-Drive the car at the normal ride height.
-Or, if you still prefer to drive in low, do a re-alignment with the car at your preferred height (I have done this) but make sure to lock your ride height before doing the alignment.

I have put more than 50k miles on a new set of tires. This is my own personal experience which I did 3 years a go and worked perfectly.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
You bought a $70k plus car yet you can't manage 2 sets of wheels ? This thread is becoming odder and odder
Why is that odd in the least? Having a second set of wheels/tires isn't just about the cost. Personally I have no where to keep a second set myself so I make due with AS tires, but I know their limitations.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Great post

Figured. And that is your issue. The CT sits slightly higher at each ride height compared to the other models. The alignment, especially in the rear is aggressive when the car is driven in low ride height. The rear camber, if I can recall correctly was more than -2 degrees. I bought my CT brand new and used to drive it in low all the time. My rear tires were shot at 15K only. The solution is simple.

-Or, if you still prefer to drive in low, do a re-alignment with the car at your preferred height (I have done this) but make sure to lock your ride height before doing the alignment.

I have put more than 50k miles on a new set of tires. This is my own personal experience which I did 3 years a go and worked perfectly.
Solid info. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

mickvk, I don't use the all seasons, but by what I see on this forum, many use the conti DWS year round, where snow is an issue. I think what wrinkledpants says has you covered. Good luck, I know in some situations storage of a second set is not in the cards. If you can find space, a second set is a much better choice.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
The Conti DWS is a really popular all season tire and comes in both 275/45/20 and 275/40/20. It will get you through the winter just fine in Chicago, especially since you're not dealing with steep mountain roads. I run it as a summer tire, and it's one of the top rated tires on Tire Rack. If your dealer can't get them, then have them shipped to the dealer for install. Or, find a local tire place that includes free rotations.

I'm guessing the dealer is servicing the car (oil changes, etc). Not sure what your current oil schedule looks like, but I'd suggest getting the oil changed at 5-7500 miles, and having your tires rotated at that time, as well. There is really no way around the fact that a heavy and powerful SUV like the Cayenne is going to get uneven tire wear if you don't rotate them. I'm rotating my tires at 6K mile intervals (free lifetime rotation at Discount Tire) and so far, my tires are all wearing really well.
I've never had a car where (where rotation was a possibility due to equal sizes) where rotation was so important, but I'm a believer now! I will make sure that service is done. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:24 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Now I understand. I will switch to normal more often, thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Originally Posted by mtnrat
mickvk, I don't use the all seasons, but by what I see on this forum, many use the conti DWS year round, where snow is an issue. I think what wrinkledpants says has you covered. Good luck, I know in some situations storage of a second set is not in the cards. If you can find space, a second set is a much better choice.
I'd like to offer you guys a big "thank you". I realize that I'm a new member and not that terribly well informed. I leaned on this community for some help and got it. My sincere thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

We're not done with you yet. You have to come back and tell us what tires you got and what type of balancing you had done and whether you changed out the TPMS and...so that we can second guess everything you did!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:29 PM
mickvk
AutoX

Originally Posted by CAVU
We're not done with you yet. You have to come back and tell us what tires you got and what type of balancing you had done and whether you changed out the TPMS and...so that we can second guess everything you did!
Dealer update: They stood behind the old 9,000 mile check (when I first complained about handling). At that time they said No Trouble Found and the tires did not show a wear problem. They repeated No Trouble Found and said that the condition now (pictured in the post here at 20,000) isn't "abnormal." They did say, as you guys did, that the "low" ride height adds camber and accounts for that inside wear. Their only recommendation was to replace the rears with the same equipment. I declined replacement tires through the dealer saying that I was dissatisfied with their snow handling.
The service tech was unaware that Pirelli requires documentation of rotation every 5000 miles in order to process a warranty assessment so I'm not even going to waste my time on that. When I pressed why they didn't rotate the tires when they responded to the first handling complaint (and changed the oil), they said that rotation is only by request. It is not scheduled.

Overall I'm dissatisfied with my experience. Next I'm going to have a non dealer shop powder coat the wheels black and go with Continental All Seasons that are a little better in snow than Pirelli Scorpion Verde.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this tire condition?