Sponsored by:

Fault code 0003 Airbag control unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM
ntn007us
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault code 0003 Airbag control unit

Hi all, I'm new to the board and have a question. The airbag light came on and the dealer said there diagnostic tool pointed out the airbag control unit and right rear seat belt as the issues. However to the high quote to replace both issues, they said to start with the airbag control unit for $1600 first.

They tried erasing the codes and also tried disconnecting the battery and doing a so-called hand-over procedure, which didn't work to reset the light.

Is replacement of the airbage control unit really necessary; I read someone on the renntech board was able to have it "reset". If I can do this myself with a used part, what are the steps to do this? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:11 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

First check to see that the passenger seat has not been lowered low enough to pinch or damage the airbag sensor wires. This is a common problem according to friend of mine at the local dealer. Apparently, the seat can crush or even sever the wires if it is lowered all the way in a certain position. Raise the seat up and then try to reset the airbag light with the Porsche tester.

Aside from that, airbags are nothing to mess around with. I would get a second opinion before replacing the control unit and go from there.

Cheers,
TomF

Quick Reply: Fault code 0003 Airbag control unit