Sponsored by:

Another little horror story

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Another little horror story

Well gang I think that's it for me. My '04 has been very well cared for and is in excellent shape in every way, only 68k miles on the clock, no problems.

Then on a short trip last last year, my low oil level light comes on and I am down two quarts(!). Never used oil before so that is quite odd. I'm hearing a little valvetrain noise so I monitor it. Just in the last few weeks the noise is loud enough so that I can hear it in the cabin and it is a little low in frequency for it to be lifters or the variocam. Fearing the worst I took it to my dealer, and I am one of those lucky souls that had a cylinder go out on me. Bad scoring in cyl 1.

Quoted $26k for a new engine installed. My dealer did go to Porsche but we both knew that it was a longshot, as I am not the first owner and I went to an indy shop for most of my work. It's a manufacturing issue, but I didn't think Porsche would invest in "goodwill" in this situation, and I was right.

So I have a boatanchor that looks great and runs okay (for now) and I was thinking about just laying it out there and putting it on eBay, hoping someone will value it as a potential fix-it project, buy it for parts (I figure it's worth fortune parted out, but that's not me), a cool planter, whatever.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by HD2pct; 02-19-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Ouch.....sorry to hear that. Pour one out for a lost one.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of this story...

Assume its an S ? not a turbo ?

Best of luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Bummer man! I was wondering if posts like this were going to start popping into the forum considering how cold its been in recently. Don't expect much for a broken S considering running ones with relatively reasonable miles (100K-110k) can be had for $10k-$12k pretty easily. How long have you owned your Cayenne? Has it been in IL all its life?

Unless your a mechanic fixing it would be cost prohibited. I would cut your loses and just get another one but definitely get a turbo this time around. Turbo's are not nearly as prone to scored cylinders since they have a little more clearance built into them at the factory.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Bummer man! I was wondering if posts like this were going to start popping into the forum considering how cold its been in recently. Don't expect much for a broken S considering running ones with relatively reasonable miles (100K-110k) can be had for $10k-$12k pretty easily. How long have you owned your Cayenne? Has it been in IL all its life?

Unless your a mechanic fixing it would be cost prohibited. I would cut your loses and just get another one but definitely get a turbo this time around. Turbo's are not nearly as prone to scored cylinders since they have a little more clearance built into them at the factory.
I owned it since 2006. I have really loved and babied this thing! It sucks to just have it disappear like this. It certainly would have been one of the better '04s available with the low mileage and its condition. It was originally delivered in NY. Not sure when it moved to IL.

I figure I can get maybe $5k for it. Maybe a little more. It will be interesting.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Hopefully you can get your price. Definitely ante up on a rennlist membership and post your car in the classifieds. For some reason people seem to get crazy money for their cars in the classifieds here.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so sorry to hear. Doesn't surprise me at all tho. I had scored cylinders in my 08 turbo, had it fixed under CPO and dropped that thing as fast as i could.

those forum is going to explode with blown cylinders in the next few weeks. Is so sad Porsche is sweeping this under the rug. I will never own a modern porsche again
Old 02-19-2015, 04:05 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Hopefully you can get your price. Definitely ante up on a rennlist membership and post your car in the classifieds. For some reason people seem to get crazy money for their cars in the classifieds here.
Oh for sure I will. I was a member but I guess it silently ran out! Good advice.

Originally Posted by westy66
so sorry to hear. Doesn't surprise me at all tho. I had scored cylinders in my 08 turbo, had it fixed under CPO and dropped that thing as fast as i could.

those forum is going to explode with blown cylinders in the next few weeks. Is so sad Porsche is sweeping this under the rug. I will never own a modern porsche again
Right now I definitely wouldn't consider it without a lot of protection. And probably not even then (although I have a feeling that I'll cave in eventuially). What sucks is that a little over a year ago, I asked about an extended warranty and the service guy sort of blew me off and I just let it go.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

The engine in the 08+ Turbo's is completely different from the 03-06 Turbo's. Don't quote me but if I remember right Flat6 was saying the 08+ engines suffer from washed cylinders because of the DFI technology. Maybe he might chime in on this thread and can clarify? I really believe you have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting scored cylinders in a 03-06 Turbo.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:21 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Whew, the sky is falling again. A few cases out of tens of thousands and the world is going to end. We've had cold winters before and it didn't cause an epidemic of scored cylinders.

I gotta tell you I'm tired of "My Porsche had a problem, so all Porsches suck." It must be miserable to live in fear.

Enjoy the lesser reliability of your Honda or Toyota.

To the OP- I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope that you can find a suitable buyer or remedy for your issues.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TomF
Whew, the sky is falling again. A few cases out of tens of thousands and the world is going to end. We've had cold winters before and it didn't cause an epidemic of scored cylinders.

I gotta tell you I'm tired of "My Porsche had a problem, so all Porsches suck." It must be miserable to live in fear.

Enjoy the lesser reliability of your Honda or Toyota.

To the OP- I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope that you can find a suitable buyer or remedy for your issues.

Cheers,
TomF
Easy Sally! I think anyone who spent that kind of money on a 08' Turbo only to have the engine fail so soon will be a little bias towards the brand. Can you blame him though? Try and show some compassion...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Tom, the real issue in my mind is if it is truly only one out of tens of thousands, PORSCHE SHOULD STEP UP -- Do the right thing.

I know if this happened to me I would go ballistic. Low mileage, pampered, etc, only to have that happen? Porsche should make it right. Customer loyalty would benefit, from that customer and every customer that hears about it, AND it's the right thing to do. They would reap benefits for years.

They can't replace every engine from every joe who doesn't care for their Cayenne, but on the 0.01% (probably less) of issues like this on a pampered car, they should step up to the plate.

IMHO simply because I know if I was in this situation that would really, really hurt financially. Not everyone can absorb a $20k loss without a major impact to their family.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I checked into the extended warranty as my '05CS was coming off CPO. I was quoted $12k for a one year warranty.

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Oh for sure I will. I was a member but I guess it silently ran out! Good advice.

Right now I definitely wouldn't consider it without a lot of protection. And probably not even then (although I have a feeling that I'll cave in eventuially). What sucks is that a little over a year ago, I asked about an extended warranty and the service guy sort of blew me off and I just let it go.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Tom, the real issue in my mind is if it is truly only one out of tens of thousands, PORSCHE SHOULD STEP UP -- Do the right thing.

I know if this happened to me I would go ballistic. Low mileage, pampered, etc, only to have that happen? Porsche should make it right. Customer loyalty would benefit, from that customer and every customer that hears about it, AND it's the right thing to do. They would reap benefits for years.

They can't replace every engine from every joe who doesn't care for their Cayenne, but on the 0.01% (probably less) of issues like this on a pampered car, they should step up to the plate.

IMHO simply because I know if I was in this situation that would really, really hurt financially. Not everyone can absorb a $20k loss without a major impact to their family.
10 years old/out of warranty/did not buy new/did not regularly service at dealer but po should cover the repairs??????????ninja pleeeezzzzthe guys at the dealership are still laughing at this onethe op has found out these cars aint built by the gods but have a holy s cost for repair.....he should have factored the costs in....he choose poorly.sell it and get the honda
Old 02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
I checked into the extended warranty as my '05CS was coming off CPO. I was quoted $12k for a one year warranty.
lol $12k, that's funny. At least Porsche has a sense of humor, right? Porsche obvious knew at that point to factory in a replacement engine with that quote.

Quick Reply: Another little horror story