Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We need another "Cardan Shaft?" topic. Actually this one seems different.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default We need another "Cardan Shaft?" topic. Actually this one seems different.

So most of what I read says the cardan shaft failure results in loud banging in the tunnel. I understand that, but I've also read about shuddering under acceleration being a symptom.

Here's what I have:
Cruising along at 55 - totally fine.
Increase speed mildly to 60 - still fine.
Let off the throttle and there a shudder/rumble for a second or two. It's felt throughout the cabin and definitely in the pedal.

Sometimes this rumble/shudder happens under light acceleration, but almost always after letting off the accelerator. Under spirited driving, there are no symptoms.
I feel this shuddering a LOT during light rush-hour traffic as there is plenty of cruising and slight modifications of speed, speeding up and slowing down without need for a brake.

Ideas?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Very tough to say based on your description of the symptoms- it could be wheel bearings, differentials or any number of other things... even improperly tightened lug nuts. This doesn't sound like a cardan shaft issue... I would have a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic take it for a drive and see what they think.

I once had really strange symptoms on my 993...intermittent vibration, squeaking, other things... drove me nuts for weeks. I had several Porsche friends drive it, finally gave in an took it to the local Porsche dealer and noone could find anything. I eventually ran into an old mechanic friend of mine who was a an old bug guy... he couldn't figure it out either. After a couple of "I give up" beers, a light went on in his head and we went for another spin around the parking lot. Guess what it was? The center nut on a rear wheel hub had worked a slight bit loose. After re-torquing from 250 to 320Ft/lbs, everything was right with the world.

Nothing substitutes for a test drive with a knowledgable gear-head!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Carden shaft is starting to go, will go out all the way soon. The rubber will rip apart more each time... Get under a take a look....

Quick Reply: We need another "Cardan Shaft?" topic. Actually this one seems different.