2015 GTS pics, sound and review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 PM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2015 GTS pics, sound and review

Well a very brief review...

So collected today and only driven briefly, but very impressed so far. The drive is good as you would expect and it goes very well in sports plus mode - although I can't red line it just yet...

Very impressed with the exhaust note and general sound - definitely sounds like a sports car when under load and the handling has been good so far. Only got out in the dark, so tomorrow I'll get some daytime driving in. The tiptronic s gearbox is very good - feels better in this than the PDK did in my Macan

Some pics and a video clip of the exhaust at the bottom.

Click the image below to hear the exhaust - turn it up loud

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/terryb/Cayenne%20GTS/CBCB7C36-1C95-4160-8D89-C6E8FCE751B4_zpsdtqweyrk.mp4

Hope you enjoy
Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 315 Posts

"The tiptronic s gearbox is very good - feels better in this than the PDK did in my Macan"

Seriously? That's a huge statement and what might swing me towards another GTS. Please elaborate....
Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 AM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats Terry, she's beautiful inside and out. I was torn between a '14 GTS and a '15 S, went with the later. Enjoy that extra hp.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Car looks gorgeous! Congratulations! That Carmine red is brilliant.

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
"The tiptronic s gearbox is very good - feels better in this than the PDK did in my Macan"

Seriously? That's a huge statement and what might swing me towards another GTS. Please elaborate....
I have a ’13 GTS, and the Tip is very good as an automatic transmission – fairly fast shifts, and well-mapped. However, when I shift manually with the paddles it is pretty snappy in Sport mode, but I think there is still a big difference between that and the immediacy of PDK. However, I have not driven a Macan, so I’m not sure how that direct comparison would turn out.

My understanding is that the persistence of the Tip in the Cayenne is due to the towing capacity requirement that the PDK does not accommodate (yet?)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Wow, nice ride & really really nice color!!!

Btw, somebody put the steering wheel on the wrong side )))
Old 01-08-2015, 07:16 PM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed and I stand by it. I normal auto mode, the tiptronic is smother than the PDK at slower speeds - when either slowing down into 2nd and then pulling away - was always jerky in the Macan Diesel. I test drove a few Cayennes before getting my GTS and I felt that the tiptronic suited the SUV type of car better than PDK.

In sports plus mode, the paddles work really well on the GTS - not as good as the DCT a on my old M3, but actually not far off it in terms of responsiveness. You also get a turbo style "fart" when up shifting and accelerating hard - makes it feel more sporty.

The noise that the GTS makes means that paddle shifting is better than the Macan PDK diesel - problem there was you couldn't hear the engine, so difficult to feel when to shift - no such problems in the GTS.

I say leave the PDK / DCT boxes to sports cars and proper autos to SUVs - even the sportier ones
Old 01-09-2015, 12:52 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 315 Posts

The Tip in my 09 Cayenne GTS is too slow for my taste. There is no sport mode except for the PASM which does not seem to affect the shifts at all. I wish it were faster when I hit the shift paddles on the steering wheel, but it seems there is quite a delay.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys, the Tip in the GTS shifts slightly faster than the other models. Also. It has shorter drive ratio.

Congrats OP! Enjoy every minute of her!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations! Nice presentation by your dealer too - your name and all!!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts

The Tip in my 09 Cayenne GTS is too slow for my taste. There is no sport mode except for the PASM which does not seem to affect the shifts at all. I wish it were faster when I hit the shift paddles on the steering wheel, but it seems there is quite a delay.
You are correct, I had an 08 GTS and the trans response sucked!
I love it in my 13 GTS, night and day improvement!!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry,

Congrats. Beautiful Cayenne. I traded a '13 GTS in for my current Macan Turbo, and the PDK of the Macan is night and day better in every way than the Tip in my GTS was. Therefore, I'm very surprised to hear you say the Tip in your GTS is better than the Macan's. Porsche must have made some massive change from 958 to 958.2 for the GTS Tip to be an improvement upon the spectacular (perfect, IMO) Macan PDK box.

I'm interested in either getting another Macan Turbo or a new GTS. The new Cayenne body style really looks great and has piqued my interest. I absolutely love the Macan, but the new GTS looks so good I'm tempted to get one!

Do you miss the lighter, nimbler feel of the Macan at all? Is the extra space you get out back worth the added weight in your opinion? The things that really scare about me about moving back to a Cayenne are: the transmission, the weight, and the less sporty feel. Is the new Cayenne really that good?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Jfost15
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Terry,

Congrats. Beautiful Cayenne. I traded a '13 GTS in for my current Macan Turbo, and the PDK of the Macan is night and day better in every way than the Tip in my GTS was. Therefore, I'm very surprised to hear you say the Tip in your GTS is better than the Macan's. Porsche must have made some massive change from 958 to 958.2 for the GTS Tip to be an improvement upon the spectacular (perfect, IMO) Macan PDK box.

I'm interested in either getting another Macan Turbo or a new GTS. The new Cayenne body style really looks great and has piqued my interest. I absolutely love the Macan, but the new GTS looks so good I'm tempted to get one!

Do you miss the lighter, nimbler feel of the Macan at all? Is the extra space you get out back worth the added weight in your opinion? The things that really scare about me about moving back to a Cayenne are: the transmission, the weight, and the less sporty feel. Is the new Cayenne really that good?

Thank you in advance.
Am I missing something? I don't really see a difference in the "new" body style besides the front daytime running lights and the rear bumper... Maybe I'm blind but I'm confused when people say its a
new looking body style... I don't see much a difference from the 13 and 14's...
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

am I the only moron who didn't realize the new GTS had a V6?????????
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfost15
Am I missing something? I don't really see a difference in the "new" body style besides the front daytime running lights and the rear bumper... Maybe I'm blind but I'm confused when people say its a
new looking body style... I don't see much a difference from the 13 and 14's...
The new body style looks noticeably better to me, but of course looks are subjective.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Jfost15
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
The new body style looks noticeably better to me, but of course looks are subjective.
Guess I am slightly blind. I don't see much of a difference with the exterior... Anyone else see "noticeable better" exterior? I mean its a great looking GTS, no doubt about it but, it doesn't look much different from the 14's and 13's like I said above.

Quick Reply: 2015 GTS pics, sound and review