Sponsored by:

Got my 958 CT Dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
My understanding is the IPD plenum is for longevity and security only and doesn't produce any measurable gains in HP or torque, despite what the manufacturer states.There are threads out there to corroborate this. The stock plenum tends to deteriorate over time and the aluminum version makes sense to avoid this issue.

The benefits of the GIAC tune on the other hand... is well documented. A GIAC tune is on my list for next year's modifications.

Aloha,
TomF
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
We would all love to see/hear the results.
Amazing how little objective evidence we have on forums specific to the Plenum.
Thanks in advance!

I can tell you guys that the Plenum does work, I don't know if the HP/TRQ are measurable, but the car definitely breathes better. I noticed the car doesn't down shift when you give it enough gas to do so, it holds the same gear even if you're at low RPMs and it just spools noticeably faster than before. You can easily use 2nd gear to accelerate from a dead stop. From my "seat of the pants Dyno" it is worth it and it is more noticeable than the Secondary cat delete mod.

I shipped out my ECU yesterday to GIAC. I can't wait to feel the difference!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From an aerodynamics standpoint, it just doesn't make sense... especially at the low RPMs you are talking about. It shouldn't affect spool, or shift points, or anything like that. I'll believe it once I see the numbers! I'd be happy to go to an AWD dyno and test before and after if IPD or someone else would provide me with one for free (for this temporary testing). I just can't imagine how you can improve ~30 hp worth of aero in a Y design which isn't all that bad from the start. Yes there is some x-sectional area increase, but not enough to matter much in terms of head loss. Prove me wrong IPD!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
Depending on my ECU part number, I might get a flasher which will give me the ability to switch back to stock. So, with the flasher I can dyno the car with the Plenum only.

Btw, The car has fabspeed secondary cat delete.
Thanks CTT-QTR, I know how expensive Dyno time can be in the US, appreciate your efforts and taking the time to post.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Originally Posted by loxxrider
From an aerodynamics standpoint, it just doesn't make sense... especially at the low RPMs you are talking about. It shouldn't affect spool, or shift points, or anything like that. I'll believe it once I see the numbers! I'd be happy to go to an AWD dyno and test before and after if IPD or someone else would provide me with one for free (for this temporary testing). I just can't imagine how you can improve ~30 hp worth of aero in a Y design which isn't all that bad from the start. Yes there is some x-sectional area increase, but not enough to matter much in terms of head loss. Prove me wrong IPD!
It might not be 30hp as they claim, however what I wrote above was my observations of how the car felt "to me" after the mod. I daily drive the CT all year round (4th year now) and I pay attention of how it behaves very well. At least, it works for me .

IPD also claims that you can return the Plenum if you do not feel the difference. Give it a try!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Originally Posted by touareg
Thanks CTT-QTR, I know how expensive Dyno time can be in the US, appreciate your efforts and taking the time to post.
No problem . I don't know about the US, but we normally pay around $140 for a Dyno time here in Qatar. Not many around though.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:57 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

UPDATE

I just got a confirmation that my ECU will have the switching capability between stock and tuned. So I will definitely have the car dyno'd with the Plenum only.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 AM
HOiYA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE I just got a confirmation that my ECU will have the switching capability between stock and tuned. So I will definitely have the car dyno'd with the Plenum only.
So the GIAC Hand switcher is available now?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOiYA
So the GIAC Hand switcher is available now?
Should be, for earlier models only.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:13 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great news. Looking forward to seeing results
Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

UPDATE

I just got a confirmation that my ECU will have the switching capability between stock and tuned. So I will definitely have the car dyno'd with the Plenum only.
Awesome, I think we speak for all, and are grateful!

Quick Reply: Got my 958 CT Dyno'd