Sponsored by:

"Check Direction Indicators"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default "Check Direction Indicators"

Sitting in traffic, I am waiting to turn left. Suddenly, I get the Achtung! beep from hell and "Check Direction Indicators" flashes on my gauge cluster screen. The flashing turn signal also speeds-up the ticking. I pull over to check the bulbs - front and rear appear to be still good. I restart the P!G and now everything is good again. WTH? I just topped-off the turn signal fluid 400 miles ago....so what am I missing here?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I just topped-off the turn signal fluid 400 miles ago....so what am I missing here?
lol, good one. I have no idea, but I can relate. A couple of weeks ago I opened the tailgate of my wife's CD. Closed it and locked the car, but I noticed that the left side headlight and taillight stayed on. Why would only the left side stay on? Unlocked and repeated the process, same result. Started it up and shut it off, locked the car and the lights went off as they should. It's been fine ever since. Damned electrons.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 PM
bigwiki
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same warning message when I turn right. Check all the lights and they are all good. ???
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I just topped-off the turn signal fluid 400 miles ago....so what am I missing here?
You didn't mention which blinker fluid you use, but I recommend 'KaleCoAuto' brand.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22
Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish mine fixed itself...

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...replacing.html

I'm stuck at what to do next.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The plastic headlamp assembly on 955s is a singularly terrible design. Contactors in the front TS bulb holders often corrode or get zapped by micro-arcing to make contact intermittent. Mine was eaten clean through. When checking be very careful twisting and pulling on the brittle old plastic. Don't ask me how I know this. Maybe you can spray some synthetic blinker fluid into the plastic "threads" before applying force.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:19 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is contacts at this point
Seems to correct itself in warm weather and then happen again in colder weather
Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the insulation to the wiring flaking off inside the headlight? If so, you may have a short inside. I just recently went through this over the weekend and was getting a whole mess of errors like dip beam, corner lights, etc. Just a week or so earlier, I replaced the wiring harness from the car to the headlight because the insulation to the wires was flaking off and shorting out. After doing this repair, the headlights worked great for a week or so, and then I started getting all of these errors again. This time I pulled the headlights and opened them up and found the wiring inside the headlights were in just as bad of shape as the wiring harnesses I replaced a week earlier. I had several wires inside the headlights where the insulation had flaked off and were shorting. I ended up using marine grade shrink wrap over all of the wires to prevent further decaying to the wiring insulation. After doing this my headlights now work great with no errors.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm going to guess an intermittent connection.

As was noted, the plug design for the headlight is...

"Less than optimal." Yeah, that's it.

Mine will work itself loose every couple of weeks. A good push inward on the headlight reseats it.

If it works just a bit loose, has a momentary break, but then reconnects, I will still get the warning on the dash.
The warning is lit up, the signal flashes fast, just as if the connection is bad and the front signal isn't flashing...

But it is.

Headlight will do the same. But, fortunately, the turn signal loses contact before the headlight. My understanding is that allowing the headlight to flicker will shorten it's life significantly.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:23 PM
jwicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your headlight wiring harness. If it looks like this it's time to replace.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by jwicker
Check your headlight wiring harness. If it looks like this it's time to replace.
+1 on checking the wiring harness. Changing mine cured left turn and right parking light problems.

This is one of the ones I pulled out:

Quick Reply: "Check Direction Indicators"