Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty's: do they cover Air Suspension? & at a reasonable cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014 | 08:43 PM
K-A
Drifting

Default Extended warranty's: do they cover Air Suspension? & at a reasonable cost?

Hello all. I'm actually in the market for a Macan, but am doing research (too much research that it's activating my most intense OCD) on options, costs, future costs, etc.

One thing I'm set on is Air Suspension, which I understand used a different system than the Cayenne uses (a brand new system in the Macan). However, since the Macan is uncharted territory, I figure the Cayenne would be the best to draw comparisons from.

One thing keeping me uncomfortable with AS is if I keep the car for a long time (which I rarely do, but "if"), potential costs I assume are massive (was quoted $1,200-2,400 per side, with labor, depending on whether "one or two things break").

However, the height and ride benefits from AS on the Macan I think is something that makes the cost to order it actually a relative bargain.

My question is; for someone who'd plan on keeping an AS car for a long time, and would want it fully warranteed well past the OEM warranty, do ALL extended warranty companies cover Air Suspension? I know the wording is tricky and when I had an S Class, some didn't and you had to get one who either specifically stated they did, or had Exclusionary Warranties, and didn't list AS as an exclusion.

Also, anyone who's gotten Extended Warranties on Air Suspension cars, please post how much it costed as that'd be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014 | 09:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Unlike my old Audi Allroad Quattro, the air suspension on my Cayenne has been a very low maintenance item. I had to have the compressor pump rebuilt, and that was only a few hundred dollars. At over 140K miles, the air suspension still works great!

Personally, I'm not a fan of extended warranties at all. I know there are other opinions. I've purchased extended warranties for three cars in the past, and in every case I've spent more on the warranty than I would have spent on repairs. I won't buy another one.
Old 08-28-2014 | 10:45 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

At 66K miles on my 955, the air suspension is in fine shape. I don't change height or ride settings very often. Very occasionally, it settles slightly and auto-levels corrects upon starting. and the compressor runs for a minute or two. With any Porsche that's beyond the original warranty, it doesn't take much of a problem to recoup the cost of an extended warranty. However, I'd consider one from the Porsche dealer.
Old 08-28-2014 | 11:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Thanks for the info's.

Yeah, one from a Porsche dealer would be definitely ideal, when the time were to come. I've heard you can negotiate on them as well.

I've seen some people say that they paid just over $3K (some even less, some more) for 911 extended warranties of like 6 years extra (maybe for that length it was closer to $5K). Without Air Suspension, I probably would skip it as well. If I had an Air Suspension car that could get an extra few years of warranty for around or under $3K, I might consider it. However, I wonder if ALL the warranty's Porsche sells cover Air Suspension?
Old 08-29-2014 | 07:39 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

What MY ? 03/04 did have some issues, on my S I lost a strut $830
Old 08-29-2014 | 09:04 AM
Eli355
Instructor

Geico has and extended warrantee available on any new car purchase at a nominal annual cost. It is a shocking too good to believe deal. I went nuts trying to find a problem or limitation to it unsuccessfully. You do have to stay with geico insurance which I have found to be very competitive and great when you have an issue. Look into it you will be shocked. From my comparison it is better and cheaper than porsche extended warrantee.
Old 08-29-2014 | 10:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eli355
Geico has and extended warrantee available on any new car purchase at a nominal annual cost. It is a shocking too good to believe deal. I went nuts trying to find a problem or limitation to it unsuccessfully. You do have to stay with geico insurance which I have found to be very competitive and great when you have an issue. Look into it you will be shocked. From my comparison it is better and cheaper than porsche extended warrantee.
I heard about that and it did seem too good to be true. I wonder if it covers Air Suspension as well? Can you purchase it at any time, or is there a specific period? Like in 4 years when your warranty is about to expire, can you just switch to Geico and roll in the warranty plan?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2014 | 01:18 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

We have a 2012 Cayenne which we have owned since new.

135,000 km on the clock and still under the extended warranty.

No problems with the AS and it is covered under the Porsche extended warranty.
Old 08-29-2014 | 08:49 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by RESP
We have a 2012 Cayenne which we have owned since new.

135,000 km on the clock and still under the extended warranty.

No problems with the AS and it is covered under the Porsche extended warranty.
Thanks. How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

I a called Warranty Direct for an idea quote. I used a 2011 and 2012 Cayenne as an example. For their highest package (only one available on Porsche's) they said 5 years and I believe 70K miles (from the date of purchase) would run over $7K, for a 2011. For a 2012 it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper (though still over $7K) and 7 years. He said that every year the rates go up and the value for the coverage gets worse (which when factored relative to warranty expiration, is kind of deceiving).

He also said that Porsche is being phased out of coverage by them, i.e in California you can't even get a Porsche warrantied. He said that in a few years (say when one would be looking to extend a Macan warranty), Porsche might not be supported by them at all, along with other luxury brands.

$7K for 5 years on a car that's about to expire warranty sounds kind of steep?
Old 08-31-2014 | 09:19 AM
Eli355
Instructor

Google the geico deal, seems to be no limit on repair after 250$ deductible Consumables not covered. Seems available on new car purchase if signed up for in the first 15 months
Old 08-31-2014 | 10:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eli355
Google the geico deal, seems to be no limit on repair after 250$ deductible Consumables not covered. Seems available on new car purchase if signed up for in the first 15 months
Yeah called on that. Very impressive deal. It problem is that it costs almost $100 more than my current insurance. So giving me a few years after the warranty expires (I think it was max 7 year coverage? Hopefully more?), but after all is said, it'd cost me.... over $7k (more than my current insurance, if I kept the car through the entire duration). Funny how that works.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty's: do they cover Air Suspension? & at a reasonable cost?