Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 CD build advice solicited

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd don't have a diesel, I'm just chiming in to garner my opinion on the black trim. I had to have it on all my cars my M5 and the Cayenne. I just looks better than the chrome to me, since you asked. And the 14 way seats are plenty comfortable and adjustable.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you’re getting park assist you might as well get the reversing camera. I didn’t order it on mine and because of the rear visibility I had to go aftermarket.

Skip the soft touch doors and go for the keyless entry and drive for the convenience.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again for all the advice. After hearing the near-universal consensus here on the 18" wheels, we went back to the dealer today and grabbed a 2014 which has air suspension and 19" wheels. We drove it up and down the crappy roads around our neighborhood trying to find problems. It didn't feel bad with the larger wheels (but I sure wouldn't want to go any larger) so I went ahead and changed our order to 19" wheels.

We also switched to the 18 way seats after some extended back and forth experimenting with the two options on the lot. We both prefer the 18 way, my only real hesitation is taking passengers who aren't as narrow as we are, but it seems like the right call. I figure we'll program the seat memory #3 on the passenger side to completely deflate the side and hip bolsters for best chance of comfort for larger passengers.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
We also switched to the 18 way seats after some extended back and forth experimenting with the two options on the lot. We both prefer the 18 way, my only real hesitation is taking passengers who aren't as narrow as we are, but it seems like the right call. I figure we'll program the seat memory #3 on the passenger side to completely deflate the side and hip bolsters for best chance of comfort for larger passengers.
Great idea on the presets!
I do the same when I get out of our Cayenne. The nest driver isn't usually as vertically challenged as I am.

I usually drop the AS to "load" height when I stop.
Easier to get in and out.

I was surprised when we test drove the Macan - my wife preferred the 18 ways over the 14's !
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Online service is the AHA app. Terrible connection most of the time. If you have an iPhone, just use iTunes radio.
AHA streaming isn't good, it drops connections constantly. Concept is interesting, poor implementation.

What is interesting in the online services is the local search option. With the phone plugged in and aha active on the phone, when you go to NAVI and clock POI, you'll get an option for online search for POI. This allows you to search local using google search vs. the built in navi POI database. I use it all the time, works well.

You can also get online local weather... but that's more hassle than its worth.

The radio and station preset thing works fine but its just doesn't buffer streaming well. I just use iTunes radio or sirius.

This is my spec, 2013 CD that I picked up CPO. The only thing i would change is adding entry and drive & air suspension. Air isn't that big of a deal for me even with a load on the trailer, but it would help a bit. I miss the entry drive I've had on my last 4 daily drivers. Oh well, wasn't my spec! I would skip the rockers/skid plate if it were my build, i would also get the normal steering wheel, sport design wheel looks great, but it doesn't have the multi function buttons, but I'm getting used to it. That's an easy change too. Don't want roof rails, I'll never use them. Full leather would be nice, but not needed, the stock interior is fine. Bose is fine, I'd rather spend the 4k for the high end stereo on track tires.

I'd like bigger wheels and the wider fender flares, and even the sport design exterior package, but it's all bling and I bought this car as a daily / track car hauler and the 19" wheels I have ride really smooth and comfortable.

Oh and the mileage, it's insane. Highway cruising is 32+, around town average is mid 20s. Its better than my wife's mini cooper S. And the torque is so usable around town, it does not feel slow at all.

White/standard black leather
Stainless skid plate
Aluminum rockers
Bose stereo
Sport design steering wheel
Premium plus package (Power steering plus, Panoramic roof, bi xenon lights, auto dimming mirrors, comfort lighting, park assist front/rear with camera, 14 way seats with memory, Seat heating front/rear, rear sunshades, lane change assist)
Trailer hitch
Online services
19" cayenne turbo wheels
Exterior in high gloss black
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, I'd decided on the diesel before the 2015 models were announced and never really re-evaluated the decision in light of the changed lineup. You do raise an interesting question that's worth considering.

Since my needs are city commuting first and towing second the Diesel still seems the better choice. I look forward to seeing the torque curve graph of the new S, because peak numbers don't really tell the full story.

l.
If you want to see the torque curve just look at the Macan Turbo. It is the same engine as the new S they just continued the boost a little bit longer to get 20 HP more.
The Curve is flat for almost the whole range, aren't micro computers wonderful.
HP=Torque x RPM/5250.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My '14 CD is spec'd similar to yours. Stickered at around $86K. With 22k miles on it now I can say there isn't an option on it that I'm not glad I got. We use 20" wheels in the summer and 19's in winter. The ride quality is not in any way harsh with either!! Can't say how much the air suspension factors into this. We have two garages full of nice cars to drive and everyone in my family prefers the Cayenne over all the others. You will love it!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 AM
4x4
Advanced

What about 4 zone climate control? And a 100L diesel tank?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 312 Posts

I would prefer the S but can understand of you like the Diesel. I agree on the 19s, Air Suspension esp for towing, and think everyone should get the colored wheel crests because they look great and are reasonable. Forget the phone option. A Plantronics Voyager Pro Bluetooth ear piece can be had for <$50 and be comfortably worn all day, in and out of the car. Mine is so comfy I often forget I'm wearing it. I would save a few bucks and opt for the Bose. If you live in the South, the nano tech tint might be best. Up north the insulated glass makes more sense, IMO. I would not go for the 4 zone AC unless you have people in back all the time. JMO...

Last edited by PCA1983; 08-11-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I'm pretty settled on the build, I'm just dithering over small stuff now. I keep wanting to add one or more of:

- alcantara headlining
- door lever surrounds in leather
- extended interior leather (dashboard upper and side trim)

There is no universe where those options are worth what they cost, but you know how it goes... "I'm already spending this much, what's a few thousand more to make sure I have no regrets?" That's how they get ya!

Odds are I'll opt against, but right now I'm envisioning that five hour haul from Houston up to Cresson with the plastic door lever surround a foot from my face the whole way, mocking me. There's no adding it after the fact, right?

I've got a few more weeks to decide, i guess, and really no matter what I'm going to love the truck when I get it...
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM
jetfl51
4th Gear

A silly option I have on my 2014 CD is the Voice Control. I love electronic gadgetry and for the $500 or so that it costs, its nice to have.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I think I'm pretty settled on the build, I'm just dithering over small stuff now. I keep wanting to add one or more of:

- alcantara headlining
- door lever surrounds in leather
- extended interior leather (dashboard upper and side trim)

There is no universe where those options are worth what they cost, but you know how it goes... "I'm already spending this much, what's a few thousand more to make sure I have no regrets?" That's how they get ya!

Odds are I'll opt against, but right now I'm envisioning that five hour haul from Houston up to Cresson with the plastic door lever surround a foot from my face the whole way, mocking me. There's no adding it after the fact, right?

I've got a few more weeks to decide, i guess, and really no matter what I'm going to love the truck when I get it...
Don't miss out on an option you will regret not getting.

I think about the options we did get when I drive our Cayenne, and know I wouldn't have enjoyed each and every mile as much without them.
Over a few years, the cost per smile is pretty small
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi there...I just picked up my 2014 CD at the Factory.........(This is my 5th Porsche and currently own a 1989 930 cab, 2009 GTS and a 2014 Panamera S Hybrid). My CD Carrerra White with Red Full leather....I love the Pano roof...I also got white gauges and 21" Painted white wheels.....I like the look of the 21" wheels.....Porsche crest in headrest is cool......14 way seats are more comfortable than 18 way......lane change assist is nice, adaptive cruise is very nice, but can b dangerous.....heating and cooling seats very nice, I live in CA and like the cooling seats.....I love the diesel.....38 MPG and fast........Prem Pack plus is a great option....nice car you outfitted......2015 the did away with a few options that I got only 2014...but mostly exterior stuff
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM
zsrh
Rennlist Member

How about delete model designation option? It is a free option but it looks great! On the rear it will just say PORSCHE and there are no other model badges that say Cayenne Diesel. It is just a cleaner look. I never would have thought about this option, but my salesperson told me about it and showed it to me! I am glad I went for it!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zsrh
How about delete model designation option? It is a free option but it looks great! On the rear it will just say PORSCHE and there are no other model badges that say Cayenne Diesel. It is just a cleaner look.
Thanks for mentioning the option. I had considered it and decided I'd rather have the model badge there if the PORSCHE badge is there. I do often like the cleaner look, but I'd rather remove the badges myself (all that I can remove) than order without the diesel badge.

If they had a "delete all badges" option, I'd get that. But just the model? Meh, leave it on.

Quick Reply: 2015 CD build advice solicited