Sponsored by:

Coil mounting screws part 94810514502 will not thread back on

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
david_alford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil mounting screws part 94810514502 will not thread back on

Replaced spark plugs and coils, and started putting everything back on. Three mounting screws that hold down coil packs will not thread back on. It appears that a meat-headed Porsche dealer service dept may have over tightened them in the past, as the leading thread is damaged on all three screws.

Anybody run into this? Guess I'm ordering new screws?

David
Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Chase the screw and holes with rethreading die / tap. Don't use a thread cutting die or tap, use the type specifically for chasing.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM
david_alford
Racer

Thank you. My CS had all services at dealer up until 100k (now) look where that got me...three over torqued bolts and stripped threads.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I just did my plugs this weekend as well. I got all my bolts back in ... however I broke the one that is under the torque rod. I was taking out the bolt and it just snapped ... must have been over torqued at the dealer. SO now I have a broken bolt in there. I am going to have to drill it out and retap most likely. So annoying. My car is drivable without the bolt in ...as the coil is in there pretty well ... but I am going to try to fix it.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 PM
david_alford
Racer

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
I just did my plugs this weekend as well. I got all my bolts back in ... however I broke the one that is under the torque rod. I was taking out the bolt and it just snapped ... must have been over torqued at the dealer. SO now I have a broken bolt in there. I am going to have to drill it out and retap most likely. So annoying. My car is drivable without the bolt in ...as the coil is in there pretty well ... but I am going to try to fix it.
Oh man! That same bolt broke for me too. As I was removing it, I thought "wow, sure is alot of resistance"...and...snap! I wasn't even turning very hard. Definitely over-torqued. Three other bolts came out with some difficulty but will not thread back in again.

Just ordered 8 new hexobular screws from my local dealer (NOT the one that over tightened them to begin with) and am going to have my local Pcar shop remove the broken bolt and re-thread 4 holes.

Not that it would help too much, but I wish I knew for sure which of two possible shops caused this mess but I'm just going by service records, didn't own the car when over-tightening occurred.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah it is pretty annoying. I just ordered some new bolts. Car drives nice with the new plugs .. and gave me a chance to look at the coils as well. The plugs where completely shot .. surprised the car even drove
Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
david_alford
Racer

My old plugs had only 30k miles on them but most of 'em looked terrible...gaps were all over the place and discolored.

Quick Reply: Coil mounting screws part 94810514502 will not thread back on