Sponsored by:

I used my Cayenne collapsible spare

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I was surprised at how well ours in the 993 worked. We had an issue of inflation at a track day and we needed to get both fronts up considerably. The pump was perfectly up to the task. Not fast, but it did the deed.
Yeah when I took the P!g to an AutoX I needed an extra 15lbs in the front and 10 in the back. Indeed slow, but it did the job and the beastie handled much better for the afternoon when it wasn't rolling on it's sidewalls so much
Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used mine in the C4S to prop the car up while i took the wheel to the tyre man, worked fine; where on earth do you put the wheel with the punctured tyre if your going to drive on?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:18 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcbit
This was my GTS, the offset difference is fairly clear. It is specced with FR 2x 10J x 21 ET50 and RR 2x 10J x 21 ET45. Seems like there were some other options.

The manual however does specifically mention not disabling PSM when using the collapsible spare wheel, presumably due to the vast difference in grip between it and the standard wheels.
That is very interesting? If you go to Victor or tire rack, their fitment section shows same offset on all 4 corners. Our trucks are even the same year. With Porsche Ilearned, specially if you are ordering something online, to check and recheck fitment. Otherwise you are eating a lot of freight. Thanks for the info. You probably already know this, but all Porsche wheels have the width and offset stamped in the rim, right next to the valve stem.
I was told that Porsche will alway tell you NOT to turn off the PSM for liability reasons.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I used mine in the C4S to prop the car up while i took the wheel to the tyre man, worked fine; where on earth do you put the wheel with the punctured tyre if your going to drive on?

I've always wondered that for the 996...
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spare kit comes with a cover for the flat tire, and you put it in the back seat on the passenger side. We have a Cab so that should be a little easier. I'm counting on Murphy's law. That if I have the spare, I will never need it.
That has worked for 16 years with our 964. I also carry Goop and a can of the new flat fix. It is approved for TPM's. I am also going t,o carry my Portable Craftsman 12v compressor on road trips. It's definitely stronger then the OEM one.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:25 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah when I took the P!g to an AutoX I needed an extra 15lbs in the front and 10 in the back. Indeed slow, but it did the job and the beastie handled much better for the afternoon when it wasn't rolling on it's sidewalls so much
When we checked ours, it was about 5 psi low for what we wanted to run. So I left the track to go to a fuel station we'd passed earlier to use its pumps.

I ended up 20 psi low after the 'inflation'! I asked the guy at the candy booth what was wrong and he said something like, "Yeah, it'll do that".

I gotta wonder how many blowouts that 'inflator' cost folks who trusted it.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:29 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usmm1234
The spare kit comes with a cover for the flat tire, and you put it in the back seat on the passenger side. We have a Cab so that should be a little easier. I'm counting on Murphy's law. That if I have the spare, I will never need it.
That has worked for 16 years with our 964. I also carry Goop and a can of the new flat fix. It is approved for TPM's. I am also going t,o carry my Portable Craftsman 12v compressor on road trips. It's definitely stronger then the OEM one.
I'll guarantee it would never happen to me with an empty car.

Quick Reply: I used my Cayenne collapsible spare