Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and thinking of a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

There is a White/Black 06 CTT newly listed in Chicagoland with 56k miles for $29k , that looks very nice. And it seems like 2011 CS's are dropping a bit with several nice ones on eBay for around $50k So many temptations out there! With regard to the piston scoring in cold climates, 0W-40 is the only way to go. 5W-30, 5W-40 and 10W-40 might be approved, but even those life extending piston squirters won't squirt at -30 or -40 with these more viscous oils. And oil circulation is impeded during those very cold starts. In Miami, 10W-40 or even 15W-50 would be fine. But snowbelt owners need to be mindful of viscosity ratings.

A Wal-Mart clerk told me recently that when the 0W-40 comes in, folks magically show up right away and fill carts with it till it is gone, at $5 per qt in the big jugs. It does not stay on the shelf long. That makes me suspicious of what shops actually put in your Porsche when nobody is looking. The more viscous Mobil 1's are always available. Shops are always trying to make an extra buck and no doubt it is tempting to buy the cheap and more readily available viscous Mobil 1.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been out of town for a few days with work but have just caught up on the replies (thanks for the contributions)

I`m off on a road trip this weekend and plan to look at some cars that are relatively local to me (2005 CTT with around 60,000 miles and a couple of 2008s with slightly lower miles that some dealers are trying to talk me into as well as a 2009 GTS with just over 100K)

The 05 is on for just under $30K and the 08s are between $40K and $50K (which is more than I want to spend although they are nice cars), the GTS is just over the $30K mark

All the cars appear to be in good condition so how do those prices sound? Bear in mind I`m talking Canadian $……..

Can anyone clarify what the service intervals are on these vehicles? No one has mentioned the timing belt/chain/gear/whatever on these cars so am I to assume that the timing mechanism is trouble free? Is there a schedule for changing it or not?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
There is a White/Black 06 CTT newly listed in Chicagoland with 56k miles for $29k , that looks very nice. And it seems like 2011 CS's are dropping a bit with several nice ones on eBay for around $50k So many temptations out there! With regard to the piston scoring in cold climates, 0W-40 is the only way to go. 5W-30, 5W-40 and 10W-40 might be approved, but even those life extending piston squirters won't squirt at -30 or -40 with these more viscous oils. And oil circulation is impeded during those very cold starts. In Miami, 10W-40 or even 15W-50 would be fine. But snowbelt owners need to be mindful of viscosity ratings.

A Wal-Mart clerk told me recently that when the 0W-40 comes in, folks magically show up right away and fill carts with it till it is gone, at $5 per qt in the big jugs. It does not stay on the shelf long. That makes me suspicious of what shops actually put in your Porsche when nobody is looking. The more viscous Mobil 1's are always available. Shops are always trying to make an extra buck and no doubt it is tempting to buy the cheap and more readily available viscous Mobil 1.
Interesting theory about the viscosity of the oil considering the winter wonderland that I dwell in - its something I will keep in mind for sure
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Is there a time when the brittle plastic coolant pipes which must be swapped with the revised aluminium replacements was already done as standard? By that I mean the vehicle came as standard with the revised aluminium pipes?

The 2005 which I`m viewing has not had the coolant pipes replaced and is still running the original plastic parts
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

So the 955 Turbo has a 4.5 engine and the 957 has a 4.8 engine - are both wildly different from each other or similar (i.e. is the later model a "bored out" version of the original)? And do the same issues affect both (coolant pipes, ignition coils etc)?

Incidentally I priced up ignition coils and they weren't overly expensive I thought (maybe under $500 for the full set) - how hard are these to change as a DIY? Looking at them they appear to be pretty much "plug & play" like ignition coils on other engines Ive had but are they easily accessible or buried under a myriad of parts that have to be removed to gain access?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Is there a time when the brittle plastic coolant pipes which must be swapped with the revised aluminium replacements was already done as standard? By that I mean the vehicle came as standard with the revised aluminium pipes?
No. Every Cayenne has plastic coolant pipes stock. Even the 957s and the "V6"(really a VW VR6 with the plastic "crackpipe" that has the same issue eventually in many VR6 VWs)

The coolant pipe issue hasn't been nearly the same issue on the 4.8l engines but I have seen a few posts of leaks. The only ones you really need to worry about are the stock ones on a 955 4.5L.

Its a fairly simple diy.

So the 955 Turbo has a 4.5 engine and the 957 has a 4.8 engine - are both wildly different from each other or similar (i.e. is the later model a "bored out" version of the original)? And do the same issues affect both (coolant pipes, ignition coils etc)?

Incidentally I priced up ignition coils and they weren't overly expensive I thought (maybe under $500 for the full set) - how hard are these to change as a DIY? Looking at them they appear to be pretty much "plug & play" like ignition coils on other engines Ive had but are they easily accessible or buried under a myriad of parts that have to be removed to gain access?

The coils are also a fairly simple diy.

The 4.8L engine is an evolution of the 4.5l. Slightly more efficient/more powerful with direct fuel injection instead of the traditional fuel injection at the intake manifold.

As an evolution of the 4.5L the 4.8l is technically "better"! But, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor over a nice 4.5L Cayenne.

It's not like picking between a fat chick and a super model. The difference is going to be like dating an 18 year old super model vs dating a 19 year old super model.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

It's not like picking between a fat chick and a super model. The difference is going to be like dating an 18 year old super model vs dating a 19 year old super model.
^That is signature material right there.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
No. Every Cayenne has plastic coolant pipes stock. Even the 957s and the "V6"(really a VW VR6 with the plastic "crackpipe" that has the same issue eventually in many VR6 VWs)

The coolant pipe issue hasn't been nearly the same issue on the 4.8l engines but I have seen a few posts of leaks. The only ones you really need to worry about are the stock ones on a 955 4.5L.

Its a fairly simple diy.

The coils are also a fairly simple diy.

The 4.8L engine is an evolution of the 4.5l. Slightly more efficient/more powerful with direct fuel injection instead of the traditional fuel injection at the intake manifold.

As an evolution of the 4.5L the 4.8l is technically "better"! But, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor over a nice 4.5L Cayenne.

Nice analogy

Ive just read the 10 page sticky regarding ignition coils and it does seem like a reasonably straight forward DIY

Interesting that later Cayennes still have the plastic pipes and also that the V6 is essentially a VW VR6 - I had a couple of VWs before the BMW and they were incredibly reliable
Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Nice analogy

Ive just read the 10 page sticky regarding ignition coils and it does seem like a reasonably straight forward DIY

Interesting that later Cayennes still have the plastic pipes and also that the V6 is essentially a VW VR6 - I had a couple of VWs before the BMW and they were incredibly reliable
Haha....thanks

I've owned two VR6 cars (and 3 VrR6 engines.....still have 2). I think if you take a deep look at VR6 issues you will see that they are more common than Porsche v8 issues. Just few V6 Cayenne owners post here, so we don't get a good sampling of the engine.

Edit: FWIW, I've owned a dozen (currently own 6) German cars and all of them that have "coil on plug" ignition systems have needed coils eventually. It's not really a "Cayenne issue"
Old 06-19-2014, 01:33 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Plastic pipes were redesigned for the 957 and as far as coils are concerned, 3 Cayennes and 180,000 kms and never had a coil changed.

A friend now has my 2005 CTT and at 200,000 kms+ it is still on original coolant pipes and cardan shaft.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
Plastic pipes were redesigned for the 957 and as far as coils are concerned, 3 Cayennes and 180,000 kms and never had a coil changed.

A friend now has my 2005 CTT and at 200,000 kms+ it is still on original coolant pipes and cardan shaft.
I wonder if your location has a bearing on the pipes lasting better (no sub zero temperatures with the resultant plastic expansion/contraction)?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 AM
mcbit
Drifting

I had thought the same thing myself, but every other bit of rubber on the exterior of the car has to be changed about every 3 years due to high temperature degradation.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
I had thought the same thing myself, but every other bit of rubber on the exterior of the car has to be changed about every 3 years due to high temperature degradation.
Ouch!

Do you get any other environmental factors?
Does sand cause additional wear issues?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
mcbit
Drifting

We are classed as harsh environment; cooling systems are upgraded and our service intervals modified to using the US mile values as kilometres.

Quick Reply: New and thinking of a Cayenne