Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY install - updated wiper arms for 955 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 PM
beran earms
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Bringing this back, I could really use some help with parts and part numbers. I'm having an inoperable passengers side wiper arm and looking through the PET there is either a misprint, or an addendum which I don't have, someone has been in there before me and scrambled things up, or I'm an idiot. Please help.

Item #14 which is a cone washer only shows one piece on the passengers side but nothing on the drivers side. I have one cone washer on each location which seems to be correct judging by the shape of both the wiper arms. And item #15 was on the drivers side which is obviously wrong. Any advise, or comments? Did I just set myself up here?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:23 PM
Esjohnson5
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to give some updated part numbers and a success story from 2021 on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

In June 2020 I had the dealer service my car (valve cover, horn, alignment, wiper blades) which resulted in very poor wiper performance because the new Bosch blades would not make contact in the middle of the passenger side leaving a 10-12" gap in the wiper pattern. Based on the original post, I ordered the updated arms used on ebay off of a 2009 Cayenne 957 for $70 (seller qualityporscheparts) which had the part numbers:
  • Passenger Arm: 7L5 955 408E
  • Driver Arm: 7L5 955 407D
  • Wiper Blades (put on at the dealer): 7L0 955 425L

I followed the DIY above to install them and noticed a major improvement. Not only did it fix the non-contact section, it eliminated the wiper chatter on the driver side which was horrible. I have original glass with a couple small chips too, still no noise and no left over debris anymore! Below are some thought I had during the installation.
  1. My original passenger arm did not have a flat spot on the most passenger sub-arm and the new arms had a flat spot. I needed to rotate the passenger most mounting post and I did so by tightening the nut all the way until the mounting post spun to the correct alignment.
  2. There is a thick washer that goes on the passenger most sub-arm in-between the arm and the nut - mine was in the incorrect place. See DIY Dan's video at 1:33 for reference of the placement.
  3. Clean out the splines on the driver arm mounting post with a pick tool! The newer driver arm fit was might tighter on the tapered portion, so eliminating all the built up grime was key.
  4. When re-installing the arms, I did the passenger arm first then the driver arm since the passenger arm is attached to the motor which ensures correct positioning of the driver arm.
  5. When tightening the driver most sub-arm on the passenger arm, it was a snug fit so I had to jiggle/tap it into place with the 16mm socket prior to tightening to 30nm. Don't need a hammer, just a few swift taps.

For $70 + tax (and an additional $23 + S&H if you need blades) this upgrade is easily worth the money if your 955 Cayenne has poor wiper performance. I should also note that I had to order arms TWICE because the original set I purchased on ebay sent me the older arms even though the photo was of the newer arms...I am still baffled that the seller thought there wasn't a big difference given the picture from the original post it is very clear they are not the same part.

Perfect fit

Passenger arm part no.

Blade Part No.

Last edited by Esjohnson5; 01-30-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:26 AM
iadr
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those complaining of price, I bought today, the drivers side updated arm from my local VW dealer for $47 CDN.
I have a trade account through my employer, & I called with a part number, and I let them know it was for my personal vehicle, but worst case they showed list as $64 to the public.
Note this is in Canadian dollars, so that works out to ~$46US list price to the public.

If you are not getting this pricing PM me with what brand dealership (P, VW, or A) and where you are at, and maybe we can figure out why you are being taken to the cleaners.

BTW, not to take away from the guy with the pretty blue masking tape, but the standard of install is to place as close as possible to be right on the edge of the black "trim-hiding" paint band on the glass.
Additionally/personally I hate having, effectively, a thicker A-pillar blind spot, in bad weather so I always mount my wipers to the high side. On most commodity cars- ie more modest daily drivers, I usually pull the arm apart and shorten it to get rid of most all of the un-wiped arc at the bottom of the windshield.
This is probably the first car I am very pleased with the wiper swept area. The complaint was the drivers having a poor wipe despite brand new Bosch blades. Though I did buy a blade set for a Maybach/S221 as they were 30mm longer (680- vs 650mm), though ideal would be about 720 on the drivers side.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Esjohnson5
8th Gear

Do you know if it is possible to purchase the plastic cover pieces that go on the end of the updated wiper arms? One of mine was chipped and fell off right away.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:27 PM
hongmihn
5th Gear

Default I did too

Mine was seriously noisy and didn’t continuously move making weird vibration. so i found this thread . Finally I did my 2006 CTT !

first I bought used new touareg wiper arm set at ebay it’s cheap. Yesterday i changed them. Result is good!
i changed a lots of wiper set that never resolve the problem

the most hardest part is the passenger nut of passenger side arms. The nut rotated with the bolt. So i had to grid the flat side to make - groove to prevent from rotating together

Last edited by hongmihn; 10-27-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY install - updated wiper arms for 955 Cayenne