Sponsored by:

2006 vs 2013: Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
That is because of your air suspension and not some amazing rubber you have on the wheels.

I never said the air suspension wasn't responsible for the ride quality in this case. If you go back and actually read my post you will see that I commented on the harshness of the 955 steel spring suspensions.

Originally Posted by gnat

RFTs aside a low profile tire is always going to ride harsher than a higher profile and smaller wheel for the same application. There is simply less material and space between you and the road to absorb the imperfections.

Having low profiles made of a compound soft enough to give you a comparable ride would result in you either eating through them at an insane rate or rolling over onto your rims every time you turned a corner.
Compound(as you have simplified it as "softness") and side wall height are not the only components of a tire. It's not that simple.

Making a tire support side loads is different than its ability to address a impact from a bump. Inner construction of the tire has a lot to do with this.

There is a reason a "run flat" rides rougher than any other tire of the same size. It's because the sidewall is designed to hold up the weight of the vehicle, not just deal with handling stresses.

Often times when a manufacture makes higher profile tire for a sports vehicle or vehicle with high loads (truck tire sizes in this case) the side wall is made to be even stiffer to handle the loads and increased leverage of the larger sidewall. The stiffened up sidewall to handle loads or dynamic side loads might not deflect bumps as nicely as people think.

I've had several sets of low profile tires that ride much better than the taller tires they replaced.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
It will either be a PIG for X6 for me... The X6 feels lighter and more forgiving on rough surfaces... But I'd prefer to stick with a P-car, thus the dilemma...
Seeing anyone refer to the X6 always reminds me of this. Granted it is from '08 but it left an impression

Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

My wife got spoiled with air suspension when we had it in our 04 S so our 06 S had to have it. She had cayenne loaners wo- she did not like it- abit bumpy esp for rear passengers. A plus with air suspension if u tow it's self leveling. Mike
Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 CS with steel springs + 20" sports technos

It doesn't drive like a typical SUV but kindda like BMW with sports package.

Quick Reply: 2006 vs 2013: Ride Quality