Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Pad do you prefer?
EBC Yellow
8.33%
Bosch QuietCast
5.56%
Pagid
25.00%
OEM Brembo
38.89%
Hawk
11.11%
Other
13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Cayenne Brakes, Pads, Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayenne Brakes, Pads, Rotors

I have spent the las hour or so searching all the previous posts on Brakes. mudman2, I found your post form back in 2005, Thanks! front-brake-pads-DIY-instructions

I wanted to take a moment to discuss what everyone has learned about you choice of Pads over the years. I see the differences in the previous posts, EBC Yellow, not Red, Hawk, Bosch QuietCast, Pagid, and the original Brembo OEM.

I am looking for a low dust, not racing pad. I do like to experience Great braking when necessary, but do not think I will always be able to keep them hot. I did experience some brake fade on the Cayenne, I didn't like to feel that, but I know the rotors are low and need changing.

Related to the Rotors, I wanted to know is anyone has any experience with Dimpled and Slotted rotors. I have never purchased a pair for any car, do they help, or are they a waste. They would look good...

My experience includes many different vehicles and types over the years, except for Porsche. I will be doing this soon, next month or two, and will need to change Rotors and Pads. I am going to do a 4 wheel job. I didn't make a purchase decision yet and wanted to poll everyone in a new Brake Poll

Last edited by CaptJim; 03-18-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Justinfranke78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slotted dissipate heat very well and look super cool.
I will be going to a slotted rotor and OEM Bosh pads when needed, which considering the way I drive and it's a Turbo will be very soon.
Interested to hear what others have to say too.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had great luck with EBC Yellows in my other overweight, overpowered vehicles and will give them a try in the GTS when the time comes.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I purchased OEM from Sunset porsche.
What year is your car? 2011 breaks are different than the earlier models and require triple square and a VW tool.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...1-cayenne.html
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after dealing with Bosch Quiet Cast pads making noise (pads shifting) due to tolerance differences, I'm sticking to OEM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
CaptJim
Racer

So, here is the Question. What is OEM. I thought OEM was the brakes that are stamped Brembo, not Bosch. I have a 2009 GTS with the Red Brembo brakes.

I was leaning toward using Hawk Products because they are made in USA. I see EBC and they look nice too. I sent them an e-mail, but it looks like they don't make Rotors.

Another Question. It looks like I see an upgrade to the hardware PIN that allows the brakes to slide out. What is the straight pin, with the cotter pin? Is this an upgrade for a quick release form the bolt that is removed first to slide out the pin?

Straight Pin

With Backing Bolt
Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM
stormy69
Intermediate

I prefer Performance Friction with Hawks second and EBC 3rd. that is from a towing and autocrossing background and on multiple different cars. There is little advantage to slotted or dimpled barring aesthetics as you mentioned Jim, they are slightly lighter but you lose friction surface area.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM
duh
Intermediate

I decided to give the powerstop a shot recently. The rotors are actually ebc rotors, still have all their stamping on them. The pads are ceramic, and hold a lot better than i thought they would but i havent done any emergency stops yet. Ive been happy so far.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJim
So, here is the Question. What is OEM. I thought OEM was the brakes that are stamped Brembo, not Bosch. I have a 2009 GTS with the Red Brembo brakes.

I was leaning toward using Hawk Products because they are made in USA. I see EBC and they look nice too. I sent them an e-mail, but it looks like they don't make Rotors.

Another Question. It looks like I see an upgrade to the hardware PIN that allows the brakes to slide out. What is the straight pin, with the cotter pin? Is this an upgrade for a quick release form the bolt that is removed first to slide out the pin?

Straight Pin

With Backing Bolt
Straight pin is for the rear; bolted pin is for the front.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM
JFR-
Advanced

I'll be following this thread. My first brake job (on an '06 CS) is in my somewhat near future. I have experienced massive, scary fade a few times with my OEM equipment when performance braking corner to corner in the mountains and from high speeds. I've even been considering an early brake job for the sake of an improvement.

I've already done a brake fluid flush with a high temp fluid suggested by my local indy, who specializes in Porsche. The fluid change didn't do much, if anything. To my surprise (and disappointment) he didn't have any strong recommendations for non-OEM pads or rotors. He said I can try EBC or Hawk, but his customers basically use OEM for street and track pads for the track, and that track pads would be too noisy and lack sufficient cold temp braking for the street.

I've done a lot of reading and without going to a track pad, the EDC yellows are at the top of my list.

As far as Hawk goes, the LTS appear a better choice than HPS. Although I do see they have a "Performance Super Duty" pad that I don't recall discussed in anything I've read.

http://www.ajusa.com/Hawk-Performanc...ads-c288d.html

As far as rotors, it sounds like drilled and slotted are for looks and may even degrade performance. Oddly, however, it seems like all the "performance" rotors are dimpled, drilled or slotted.

Cryo treated rotors sound like a good idea, although there's not a whole lot of options. Otherwise, there's so many rotor options it's ridiculous.

Sorry this reply offers no first hand suggestions, but I'm keenly interested in the topic and I'm hoping it offers something useful, if anything just some fuel for more discussion.

My braking goal is maximum street performance, dust is not a concern.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have EBC Green 600(Truck) on my wife's RR. They are progressive, but get noisy on hard applications. Have not tried Yellows, as I was worried they would be too aggressive for the wifey. I had a pair of Reds on a WRX that burned through to the backing plate (from new) after two 20 minutes sessions at T-Hill. EBC also makes rotors. I have the Ultimax rotors on the RR. Had the EBC Sport rotors on a GX470, and they sounded like an airplane - those went back.

I had Hawk LTS pads on a RRS S\C with 14" Brembos. They took awhile to break-in, even following the StopTech performance brake bed-in procedure, but are the best pads I have ever experienced. Quiet, comfortable, light dust, but big bite - huge confidence. These are matched to Stoptech slotted rotors. I like grooves, as they scrape off dust\pebbles if you go off-road, and probably water in wet conditions. Slotted rotors can be noisy (i.e., EBC Sport rotors) if the slots are too big.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I had Hawk HPS pads on my Touareg for 30k mi and found them to be a down right scary pad choice. It took a tremendous amount of pedal pressure to effect a stop. My wife was afraid to drive the Treg as she felt it would not stop. Recently replaced pads with stock Cayenne Turbo pads from Sunset Porsche and all is well now. Wife is now happy with the stopping power as am I. Only good thing is that the HPS pads wore like iron and didn't seem to wear the rotors at all. Very clean pad. I do like using HPSs as a street pad on my 993.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any real need to replace the "hardware kit" (spring and pins) when doing a brake job on these vehicles? I would imagine just cleaning up the original parts would work just fine. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Is there any real need to replace the "hardware kit" (spring and pins) when doing a brake job on these vehicles? I would imagine just cleaning up the original parts would work just fine. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
No reason unless it is rusty and you want to replace it to make the job look nice.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The retaining spring helps keep the pad firm in its space. If it's loose, your will get noise. The cotter pin - maybe not. The pin themselves - I wouldn't think so.

Problem is they come as a kit.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Brakes, Pads, Rotors