Whoops, put in the wrong oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Whoops, put in the wrong oil filter

Well, it looks like the one I just took off the motor...

Grabbed a Mann 718/5 (mercedes W210 specific for V6/V8 motors) INSTEAD of the Mann 719/5 for our trucks.

Comparing side by side, they look identical, save for the extra rubber bits for the oil filter canister.
The filter for the MBZ fit perfectly in the mount and the filter housing threaded on and sealed up just fine. No leaks.

Lesson learned, organize the supply cabinet so that I clearly see which filter is for which car!
It is interesting though that the two cars had essentially identical filter elements.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I write the vehicle they're for on the box when I get them in.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

So is the actual filter the same??
Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, as far as the filter itself goes, it was the exact same filter dimensionally. I have a bunch of each in the cabinet and compared them side by side. Seems like the engineers in Stuttgart, all liked this size of filter as it's a common one to both Marques.

Next time I change the oil on the E430, I'll stick the filter for the Cayenne in... On purpose. LOL.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
Yeah, as far as the filter itself goes, it was the exact same filter dimensionally. I have a bunch of each in the cabinet and compared them side by side. Seems like the engineers in Stuttgart, all liked this size of filter as it's a common one to both Marques.

Next time I change the oil on the E430, I'll stick the filter for the Cayenne in... On purpose. LOL.
That's good info! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mann must have the technical specifics on the two different part numbers. There must be a minor difference?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is definitely an interesting thread; so much so that I had to look up the two part numbers to see if there were any differences between the two:
http://www.mannfiltersrus.com/mann_f...kup/?search=HU 718/5 X

http://www.mannfiltersrus.com/mann_f...kup/?search=HU 719/5 X

The casings may be identical in size however the actual filter element varies in both diameter as well as height by several millimeters. I'm curious as to whether or not the larger unit (M-B) would invoke a lower overall oil pressure in the Cayenne...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would caution everyone about interchanging these filters. There were some big Lawsuits surrounding the Ford 6.0L Diesel Filter Cartridge Filters Collapsing. Ford had a patent for some specifications on the filter, but third parties began manufacturing around these Patents. The filters were inferior and caused many engines to fail. For this reason, you actually see Ford filters in places like PepBoys and NAPA now. I am concerned that while the filter may fit, it could cause an oiling failure. That is one system on the engine I don't want to F with.

I decided to use the Porsche OEM filter on my Cayenne, just in case.....

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-800-a-254110/
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree 100%, use the filter designed for the car.

I didn't intend to put the incorrect filter on and only realized after the fact. Measuring the two filters, the mbz (718/5) is 1.5mm taller, same inside diameter of 30.3mm as the one for the Cayenne (719/5)

Reading through the Ford diesel thread, it was an aftermarket filter that caused the issue with the collapsing filter.

The way the filter is installed on the Cayenne, there's little chance of the filter collapsing since it slides onto a sleeve.

Good thing both filters are made by Mann so construction quality and filter media is presumably the same too.

Quick Reply: Whoops, put in the wrong oil filter