Thermostat - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Daiberl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thermostat - DIY?

Hello,
looks like my thermostat is toast, I have a P2181 again and the engine temperature goes only up 1/4. Does someone has a DIY for changing the thermostat on a 2008 Cayenne S?
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The t-stat is located at the front top of the engine just behind the water pump. If you take a look at a coolant pipe DIY, that will get you all the way to the thermostat housing. It involves removing the intake manifold. Doing so will expose the t-stat housing. Replacement is straightforward at that point. You need a gasket and a new t-stat. Their is a special tool that is used to fit the t-stat, but it is NOT required.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replaced thermostat on a GT3, so not entirely sure, but the "special" tool that I used to remove the thermostat from the housing is called a 30mm socket. :-)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 PM
duh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The special tool is just a cylinder with two outshoots that fit into the thermostat 'arms'. It makes it real easy, and fits the rover/jag thermostats too luckily. Its a pain in the *** to fight the springs and turn it without the tool, but not impossible. A 30mm socket will work, just may slip on the socket when you try and twist it in.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Daiberl
Instructor

So all I would need are:
        Do I miss something? New seals for the intake manifold?
        Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 PM
        CaptJim
        Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the perfect, not so difficult repair to take a few Pics and share. I would like to see if you have the time to post
        Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 PM
        Daiberl
        Instructor

Originally Posted by CaptJim
        Looks like the perfect, not so difficult repair to take a few Pics and share. I would like to see if you have the time to post
        I can try to take pictures and share but no promise. First problem is that I need a good day where I can get one of the 914s out of the garage and the Cayenne in to do the work. The 911 is on the lift at the moment with the engine and the transmission out (new clutch) so I only have one spot where I can do the work and I don't want a 914 outside when it is raining. Too many cars for a small garage
        Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 AM
        JAGMAN1
        Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I would replace the intake manifold seals just to be safe. They are the reusable type, but removing the intake manifold is enough of a challenge that I wouldn't want to do it twice.

Here is a picture taken during a coolant pipe replacement on my CTT. This picture shows the manifold removed, and at the center of the picture the silver thermostat housing. It has three black pipes joining from the top of the photo, and a few larger black ones from the bottom.

Keep in mind too that you have an '08 and these pictures are from an '04. Not a hard job, just lots of things to move out of the way to get there. As for the special tool, it really isn't hard to drop in the thermostat without it. If I recall I used the packaging that the t-stat came in to slide it in. Think of a ring compressor and that's basically what the tool does on a much simpler scale.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
        Slow Guy
        Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll want a T-stat, a inner T-stat housing gasket (rubber) and a outer housing gasket (metal) in addition to the o-ring.
        If it's the first time the intake has been removed I would also get the (2) green rubber intake manifold gaskets.
        You'll want some form of vacuum to remove the coolant that will spill/collect in the V of the block and under the starter. I used a wet/dry vacuum with a vinyl hose stuck in the end to suck up the coolant.
        Top pic shows the original (plastic) large/lower coolant pipe being removed, you will not be dealing with this for just a t-stat replacement.
        2nd pic shows my vacuum arrangement (worked great).
        3rd pic shows the t-stat housing top removed, the t-stat (which is held in the housing top) sits in the cavity on the right, rubber gasket around that and metal gasket in the outer. Metal gasket is a 1-time use gasket.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:36 PM.
        Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
        seankrider
        Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other thing to remember is the 3 smaller aluminum coolant pipes are attached firmly to the thermostat housing cover. So you either (a) remove them, which is a really bad idea; or (b) leave them on, but loosen their connections in the rear via the black plastic guide so that the entire setup can "hinge" upward.

If it were me (and it was 6 mos. ago), I would get the real workshop manual for the procedure from Porsche. It's $2.80 per document - the same document used by an Indy (or dealer) that needs the start-to-finish guide. Go to Porsche.com, navigate to Service and "Technical Service Information". Fill out the registration info, and then "buy" a $10 credit toward documents with a credit card. Do a search - either graphically or by keyword, and as soon as you load it, voila, the document's on your PC.

THERE IS ONE CAVEAT: you have to have an "SVG" reader for Scalable Vector Graphics. This is a 100-year-old technology with no relevant viewers still around. But a decent google search will find you one. Install that first, or none of the graphics will load. One more caveat: if you close your browser, you have to pay again: it's a session-only rental of the document.

But for a few dollars, you get all the steps, all the torque specs, all the prerequisite work, and no guessing. I "print" them to PDF for posterity and have the laptop in the engine bay with me whenever I do anything remotely challenging.
        Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM
        Slow Guy
        Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, in the tools dept. make sure you have the e-Torx sockets.

this this
        Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
        PelicanParts.com
        Basic Sponsor
        Rennlist
        Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Hopefully you'll get a dry day this weekend to complete the replacement. Here are a few additional notes regarding each step we've put together when replacing the thermostat: Cayenne Thermostat Replacement

Keep us posted as to the install!
        Mark/Pelican Parts
        888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
        Old 02-28-2014, 08:07 PM
        Daiberl
        Instructor

Thanks for all the pointers. I have to talk to my Porsche dealer since I can't seem to find the gaskets for the housing for a 2008. All material is for Cayenne S until 2006, does someone know whether they housing is the same or not for a 2008? The Thermostat Housing Gaskets parts on PP are also for up to 2006: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...WATpmp_pg2.htm
        Old 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM
        Flatsixer
        Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daiberl
        Thanks for all the pointers. I have to talk to my Porsche dealer since I can't seem to find the gaskets for the housing for a 2008. All material is for Cayenne S until 2006, does someone know whether they housing is the same or not for a 2008? The Thermostat Housing Gaskets parts on PP are also for up to 2006: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...WATpmp_pg2.htm
        I had the themostat replaced on my 2009 GTS at my local Porsche dealer last summer.

The parts used other than the thermostat and coolant are.

948-106-101-03 Intake Soc
        948-106-533-00 Sealing. W
        948-110-144-20 Sealing throttle body gasket
        Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM
        SpawnyWhippet
        Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
        Default Definitive list of parts?

I got the Check Engine light coming on, and my dealer told me it was the thermostat needing replacement. I have reset the light several times since with Durametric but now it comes on almost every day with error code 8121.

I am about to do my 2008 Cayenne S thermostat and have read this thread a couple of times without being entirely sure what parts I need to order.

I asked Suncoast Parts to send me the kit for the thermostat replacement and they sent 3 parts, two of which are not mentioned on this page:

Thermostat 948-106-125-01
        O-ring seal 948-106-707-00
        Water pump seal 948-106-533-00

Do I also need to order these parts listed above:
        Coolant Pipe O-Ring - Pipe to Thermostat Housing (22 X 3 mm) 999-707-517-41-M100
        SEALING 948-110-144-20
        Thermostat Intake Socket with Seals 948-106-101-03

Is there a good DIY tutorial available yet?

Quick Reply: Thermostat - DIY?