Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer only tires suck in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

944 with WINTER tires great car for the winter up here in Canada.Were the cold and snow comes from. My daughter and I both drive them in winter, great practice for car control. Winter storms, once its like 11pm go out for an hr and drift the car around , just not in my backyard.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty boring this am

no drama
Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@mudman2: That Road looks familiar, Can I meet you out this afternoon and the two of us can have a fun race around the snow, you in the Cayenne, and me in the F250? LOL, JK
Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

nah you guys are nuts
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I put winter tires on my car in the winter and summer the rest of the year. Why? Because driving in winter with summers, while doable, isn't as much fun being able to push the car hard with winter tires. I prefer driving on early winter mornings as it's easy to find some empty country roads to have some fun on.

YMMV, but I buy my cars to enjoy them as much as possible.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
pretty boring this am
looks like you are the last survivor!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HOiYA
With all winter storms the US has been receiving coast to coast, are there even any winter tires to be had? I know that tire rack doesn't even list them for the 21" anymore on their site.
21" is sold out for the season. Inventory is definitely getting thin in some sizes, but we do have alternate sizes still available. Mother nature just won't let us go this season! Call me if I can help.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 AM
AlexPorsche
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, that is a given that it is not safe to have summer tires in snow at all. The patterns are totally different.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

This is what happened back in 2003 when Dealers told their customers Michelin summer tires were just fine in snow. I purchased a set of Dunlops and they were the best snow tire I have ever owned.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Another long memory Doc !

Todays problem is the total lack of stock around the North East whose apocalyptic pots holes are making a misery of a lot of folks lives

While in the dealer Saturday returning the Panamara Loaner with a bubbled tire I overheard a discussion with a GTS owner on 21's (snows) lost both front in a pothole, yes the same one. The only thing they could offer was a Winter Set of 18's for $3000 or his summers back on. He opted for the winter set since no 21 snows anywhere to be had

Side wall height is useful in winter 18's rule !
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I drove from Elizabethtown to Kennett Square, PA and back yesterday. While the expressway to Lancaster was fine, the secondary roads, including our fine state highway "system" look like the surface of the moon. And it's only going to get worse. They spent tons of money on snow removal and salt and won't have funds to fix the roads. So glad I got the 19's.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I'm with you there

Don't go anywhere near 611 as far up as the DT bypass, you need a hovercraft
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I"m not agreeing at all with the direction of this thread. I've never bought snow tires for my DD and have lived in Denver, Wyoming and New York. While NY wasn't as cold, it was pretty snowy too.

Some place earlier on someone posted that riding even on dry cold pavement with 'summer' tires was tantamount to asking to die. I have no had that experience or even close. I will agree that different vehicles wearing the same or similar tires will behave drastically differently on snow. Frex, a Honda Civic we had was adroit on the snow but a BMW 3 series was a disaster. Still, I drove it knowing it was a difficult vehicle in the snow and nothing bad ever happened.

I'm not arguing that snow tires are useless. I run mud and snows all year long on my 4 x 4 and it makes a huge difference but IMO, the typical person does not need these highly aggressive tires for general purpose use. Sure, if you have a steep driveway and a good deal of snow, you may but that's outside of general purpose use, IMO.
Summers in cold while isn't tantamount to dieing, certainly the distance from normal driving to sliding is smaller. Yor safety zone gets smaller, and in a situation where you lose it with summers, you could save it with winters. If you drive slower / less aggressively then that safety zone gets large enough again and you are fine.

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Keep in mind how daggone heavy the Cayenne is (we don't call it a P!g for nothing). Newton is a motherf*r.

Put on a set of Blizzaks, leave'em on: http://www.roadandtrack.com/winterdr...s-track-tested:
My Treg with Michelin touring tires SUCK in powder snow, but on packed snow are fantastic. If 19's weren't so stupid expensive I would get winters. I just drive less aggressively to keep my safety margin in check.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
People are missing one of the main points, it's not just the snow, it's the low temp. The rubber compounds are different and designed for the lower temps.
Yup. The 'limit' of traction on a dry road changes with the rubber compound. Drove my 928 with pilot sports at 3 deg C and had a few pucker moments to say the least.

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
As I posted earlier, I run 'winter' tires on my 4 x 4 year round due to using it in deep snow and mud. I know there is a difference. My point was refuting the posts here saying that running summer tires in the winter is a death wish. Sure, a summer tire isn't as good in snow as a winter and probably less good on cold pavement too, but I have always done this and while I need to exercise some caution and driving skill, I have never had a serious problem doing this and saved gosh knows how much on tires and wheels.
See my earlier posts. Driving skill plays a pivotal role. Not everyone has that skill, and giving an extra buffer for safety is needed by some.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Another long memory Doc !

Todays problem is the total lack of stock around the North East whose apocalyptic pots holes are making a misery of a lot of folks lives

While in the dealer Saturday returning the Panamara Loaner with a bubbled tire I overheard a discussion with a GTS owner on 21's (snows) lost both front in a pothole, yes the same one. The only thing they could offer was a Winter Set of 18's for $3000 or his summers back on. He opted for the winter set since no 21 snows anywhere to be had

Side wall height is useful in winter 18's rule !
That pic left a pretty strong impression upon me. I learned a lot about winter tires immediately after viewing that and picked up a set of Dunlop Grandtreks off ebay with wheels and caps for $2100 within 7 days. Thank you Fed-Ex.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm with you there Don't go anywhere near 611 as far up as the DT bypass, you need a hovercraft
They've started to fill 611 in the Warrington/Doylestown area.

Quick Reply: Summer only tires suck in the snow