Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer only tires suck in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Just as another data point, I was running summer Bridgestone "N" spec tires (20" stock size) a couple of weeks ago when we had the now infamous "Snowmageddon" in Atlanta that crippled traffic in the city. Interstate 75 was a sheet of snow and ice, and never once did the CTTS falter or lose traction, even with the performance summer tires on it. No doubt it would have completely dominated with snow tires on it.

Of course, growing up in the snow belt and learning how to drive in winter conditions helped too. It's a skill not everyone possesses.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Winter tires just make such a huge difference that I'd never go back to winter driving without them.

Winter tires are really something special in the cold.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Summer tires are bad in the winter. Period.

If its cold, the summer tires turn to hockey pucks, and hockey pucks don't really stop all that quickly on ice.

It really doesn't matter what your "opinion" or anecdotal experience has been, driving with summer tires in the cold is not the best plan.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am expecting another 12 inches of Snow Thursday. Guess which car I am not driving. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Cayenne. All I was trying to say is that I never had any car with this type of profile on the tire and I cannot trust it in the snow without another type of tire. Its not my only car, I will save it for rides to the beach house and the Boat.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems a shame to invest in such a wonderful vehicle then leave it sit for want of $1600 in proper tires, but it's your choice.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's 'snow'?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit6
It doesn't matter, if you have cold weather you need winter tires.

Read here:

http://www.1010tires.com/store/conte...res-guide.aspx
+100
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Does the pope **** in the woods?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

Keep in mind how daggone heavy the Cayenne is (we don't call it a P!g for nothing). Newton is a motherf*r.

Put on a set of Blizzaks, leave'em on: http://www.roadandtrack.com/winterdr...s-track-tested:
Still, the Focus was far from undriveable at speed with the winter tires fitted. When we put the stopwatch on them, we found that by giving them time to cool in the lap before we could consistently run within two and a half seconds of the summer-tire time. The best winter-tire lap was just 2.2 seconds south of the Eagles. In a race, that kind of time is the difference between worst and first. But don’t forget that the winter tires put up lap times comparable to most brands of all-season tires.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Everyone. In my local area, We have been getting more snow than normal this year. I understand how much better the Cayenne could perform, and I am sure I would be happy with it if I put Winter tires on her.

I have a Turbo Diesel F-250 that will eat snow all day long with my BFGoodrich all terrain KO's Plus, I don't like getting salt all over the Cayenne.

If I lived in a place where snow is constant, I could see using winter tires, this winter the car sits. Maybe I will get a pair of Winter tires for next year? I can locate sum when its 100F out and get a good deal. Its going to be April 1st soon, and it is rare to get snow after that date.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJim
Thanks Everyone. In my local area, We have been getting more snow than normal this year. I understand how much better the Cayenne could perform, and I am sure I would be happy with it if I put Winter tires on her.

I have a Turbo Diesel F-250 that will eat snow all day long with my BFGoodrich all terrain KO's Plus, I don't like getting salt all over the Cayenne.

If I lived in a place where snow is constant, I could see using winter tires, this winter the car sits. Maybe I will get a pair of Winter tires for next year? I can locate sum when its 100F out and get a good deal. Its going to be April 1st soon, and it is rare to get snow after that date.
I totally get what you're saying. I've got an X5 with 20" Summer-oriented "all-season" tires, and when there's more than ¼" of snow on the road, they are absolutely useless. However, snow tires are about $1,200 for that vehicle, and there are really only a handful of days where I would need them, so I divert to my Merkur with snow tires on those days. There are other things I can do with that $1,200.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

People are missing one of the main points, it's not just the snow, it's the low temp. The rubber compounds are different and designed for the lower temps.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Winter tires just make such a huge difference that I'd never go back to winter driving without them.

Winter tires are really something special in the cold.
I see some of us have fallen for the tire manufacturers' ads. Well, that's what they're meant to do.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Some of us have experienced the difference too. It really does matter.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

As I posted earlier, I run 'winter' tires on my 4 x 4 year round due to using it in deep snow and mud. I know there is a difference. My point was refuting the posts here saying that running summer tires in the winter is a death wish. Sure, a summer tire isn't as good in snow as a winter and probably less good on cold pavement too, but I have always done this and while I need to exercise some caution and driving skill, I have never had a serious problem doing this and saved gosh knows how much on tires and wheels.

Quick Reply: Summer only tires suck in the snow