Porsche CPO - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
well... im approaching 20 thousand dollars. (you read that right) and its about to be 27 thousand as i just took my CTT to the dealer this morning for a cracked pano sunroof. they have replaced the roof 2 previous times.
Wow, that is a lot of money to sink into any car, let alone a 7 year old one. I have heard stories that the Pano roof is subject to breakage if something drops on it, i.e. ice or a small tree branch. I would have replaced it the first time and then sent it on down the road.

There are several threads out there about how the pano roof isn't great for really cold climates, as the seals can freeze and cause air leaks and other unpleasantness.

How did your roof break twice?

Capt. Jim, yes CPO means "Certified Pre-Owned."

Best,
TomF
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJim
CPO = Certified Pre Owned? Is this what were talking about? I remember when dealers changed the term from Used cars to CPO. I think is is all BS. What I mean, is that anyone can provide a good inspection. Even if you hired a mechanic to go through all the inspection points, is it really worth it? I don't know, CPO is not for me.

CTT? What does this stand for? CTTS = Cayenne TT Sport???

I couldn't locate it in the sticky admin terms
"CPO" (Certified Pre-Owned) spoken here generally means Porsche-certified and warrantied for two years or until 100K miles. CPO cars have to meet Porsche criteria. Its nothing to sneer if at the normal price premium of $2-3K on a used Cayenne. I've had about $3K in warranty repairs and some are things I'd be likely to pass on if I had to foot the bill, eg, a new instrument cluster because the tiny speaker for the warnings didn't work; new AC blower motor because it had a ticking noise.

Last edited by DWPC; 02-05-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJim
CPO = Certified Pre Owned? Is this what were talking about? I remember when dealers changed the term from Used cars to CPO. I think is is all BS. What I mean, is that anyone can provide a good inspection. Even if you hired a mechanic to go through all the inspection points, is it really worth it? I don't know, CPO is not for me.

CTT? What does this stand for? CTTS = Cayenne TT Sport???

I couldn't locate it in the sticky admin terms
Yes, CPO = certified pre-owned. Not just an inspection...everything has to be brought up to spec and the warranty is extended for two years or up to 100,000 miles. Cars are limited by age and condition as to which ones can be "certified."

CTT = cayenne twin turbo
CTTS = cayenne twin turbo S (S designating the the sport motor...more displacement, more HP)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I would pay up to $3k more for a CPO for all the reasons stated above - it's at least been combed over and brought up to spec. You are essentially pre-paying for your maintenance for two years and the things that go wrong can be rather expensive. Read the threads about everything everyone ends up replacing one way or another. Plus you're giving yourself an out on always having to DIY everything if your time is better spent on other activities.

But anything over $3k is crazy talk. That amount pays the dealer at least his cost plus a little profit. If they claim they had to fix a lot to get it to spec, then the car was worse less to begin with. Chances are you'll take it back to then for the warranty work anyway, which is a money maker for them.

If the difference is more than $3k, go without (do a legit PPI) and take the cash you saved and buy shares in AAPL. Sell shares each time you need a big fix. Report back in two years. I'll bet you come out ahead financially.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seankrider
$20k in out-of-pocket repairs? And $7k more for the pano?

Apart from a brand new, crated engine block, there is nothing on mine worth sinking $7k, let alone $3k. Instead, I would double-down and drop $20K on another used one and take my chances on the sum of the parts before investing that much.

But maybe my logic is flawed.

Nope.... hasn'tcost me a dime. Mine was cpo'd, 2008 with 47k miles.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a CPO 2009 GTS, and I can say emphatically that the CPO coverage is worth every penny. I wouldn't say that the vehicle has had a lot of issues but things have happened and it is just taken care of by the dealership up to the 100K mile mark. I love CPO and will always by cars this way. I think the premium for CPO is more like $3-4K.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 497 Posts

I have a CPO'd '10 GTS and other than some minor niggles, my ownership experience has been uneventful. My CPO expires later this year so I will be thinking about selling with some time remaining, however the car drives so well and the new GTS' are so expensive that it might be worth to go naked on the coverage and keep it.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Yes, CPO = certified pre-owned. Not just an inspection...everything has to be brought up to spec and the warranty is extended for two years or up to 100,000 miles. Cars are limited by age and condition as to which ones can be "certified."

CTT = cayenne twin turbo
CTTS = cayenne twin turbo S (S designating the the sport motor...more displacement, more HP)
Just curious what your thoughts are between the GTS you used to own and your CTTS?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
Just curious what your thoughts are between the GTS you used to own and your CTTS?
Few years gap between ownership of the two, so I have to trust my recollection of the GTS.

The 2008 GTS had an awesome exhaust sound in sport mode, I think it felt tighter in sport than the 2009 CTTS does. At the time it felt like GTS had no body roll, but I think the PDCC on the CTTS has it beat. Something makes me want to say the CTTS is way faster in a straight line, but the GTS would have been faster in the twisty sections. Perhaps it goes back to a tighter feel in the throttle response of the GTS versus the lag inherent in the turbo chargers, making the GTS feel faster jumping out of turns. All subjective - I haven't compared the technical specs.

Quick Reply: Porsche CPO - is it worth it?