P0366 CEL code on Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0366 CEL code on Cayenne V6

Greetings!

Does anyone have any more info about or experience with a P0366 code on a Cayenne V6 (2004)? My codebook says "Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1".

A couple years ago, I struggled with a P0017 code ("Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation [Bank 1 Sensor B])" and finally made it go away by replacing the exhaust camshaft position sensor (bank 1 sensor B). So same sensor in question. Not clear to me exactly what would trigger a 0366 versus 0017.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tom Rathjen; 01-27-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance you're looking at two separate issues here? Yes, the CPS is common to all four. But from there the possible causes diverge:
P0016:- Dirty Oil
- Engine mechanical problems
- Faulty camshaft position sensor
- Faulty crankshaft position sensor
- Timing belt jumped
P0017: - Dirty Oil
- Timing belt jumped
P0366: - Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery
P0369: - Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty starter motor
- Dead (Weak) battery

Or could it be as simple as a loose CPS connector or frayed wire triggering the codes?

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 01-29-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

And things keep getting weirder.

Yesterday late morning I actually got two codes:
P0017 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'B'
P0366 Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1

Yesterday evening I got two different codes:
P0369 Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Intermittent Bank 1
P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'A'

And this morning I got:
P0366 Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1
P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'A'

Something strange is going on. Three different codes pertaining to the exhaust cam sensor (one repeated), and a code pertaining to intake cam sensor (repeated). Can't wait to see what codes pop up after this evening's drive home.

Oh, and it drives just fine with no bad sounds.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Any chance you're looking at two separate issues here? Yes, the CPS is common to all four. But from there the possible causes diverge:
P0016:- Dirty Oil
- Timing belt jumped
P0017: - Dirty Oil
- Timing belt jumped
P0366: - Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty starter motor
- Dead (Weak) battery
P0369: - Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty starter motor
- Dead (Weak) battery

Or could it be as simple as a loose CPS connector or frayed wire triggering the codes?

//greg//
Good questions. What is confusing me now is that I am getting codes for both the A and B (exhaust and intake) cam sensors. And none that pertain specifically to the crankshaft sensor. And this all started at once. So could be separate problems, but that would be a coincidence.

Last night I dug out my wiring diagrams, and (in the 15 degrees temps) verified continuity between all pins in both cam sensors and the motor control module connector. And also verified 5 volts at both connectors when "on". And wiggled the harnesses while doing all this. All checked good. Starting to wonder about the weak battery as a possible common cause, since it has not been changed for about 6 years and it has been freakish cold. But...it starts up fine, and I tried leaving a charger on it all night but still got the codes. (This morning I got 0369, 0016, and 0017.).

So, still puzzled. Next step might be to pull the battery (major PIA) and have it tested. And/or change the oil.

And oh yes, it is still running great.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cold does funny things to battery's. Put a battery tender on to see it will float to a green light? 6 years is a long time with steady use.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2. My 2013 sits for extended periods in an unheated and open ended single garage. I can tell when the battery has drained between uses, when the keyfob doesn't raise the rear door. It will unlock it, but that's all. There's also a yellow message in the MFD, something to the effect that the car has entered some kind of battery saving mode. In my case, it's just a matter of driving it long enough for the alternator to top up the battery. But in the case of a six year old battery, it's likely time to start thinking "replacement".

//greg//
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

Well, I took the battery out and had it tested, and looked up its history since I had forgotten when exactly I installed it. Turns out it is an 85 month battery, that I bought and installed in June 2007. So, it is still within its life, although not by much. I took it out anyway and had it tested, and the machine said "good battery". It specifically measured 12.53 volts and 623 CCA. I'm a little confused about the pass/fail for the CCA. The battery says "640 CCA" on it. But when I look up the specs at Interstate's website, it says CCA is 790. (It is an Interstate MTP-H7.). So is 640 a minimum, such that the 623 measured is a bit low? Or is 623 within an acceptable range? I had it tested after it sat in the car overnight and had not been started since driven the evening before.

So, still scratching my head over these codes. The same ones keep popping up (0016, 0017, 0366, and 0369) usually two and sometimes three at a time (never all four at once). I clear them at the end of each drive, and with every subsequent drive they pop up at least as pending. I hesitate to spend $200 to replace the battery based on the test, although a maybe that wouldn't be such a terrible thing since it is at least approaching the end of its 85 month life? Hmmm...

Quick Reply: P0366 CEL code on Cayenne V6