Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a bicycle fit in the back of a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With both seats down, my 56cm road bike lays down in the back without issue. If you want to stand it up, the front tire and seat have to come out, then you can fit two back there. If my gf was more into road biking I would fabricate and attach a mount in the rear that grabbed the forks with quick releases. Instead i just throw the hitch mounted bike rack on; it only takes marginally more time than folding the seats down.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:37 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have put our Cannondale supersix's and Giant propels in the back of both our 955 and 958 cars. Our preference to have them on the bike rack where four bikes fit though...
Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Two bikes wheels on, back seats folded forward and two moving blankets properly placed. Two minutes or less in or out, no scratches.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
high_rpm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I fold both rear seats, my Trek 7.4 FX hybrid fits in the back with wheels on.

Sometimes I want my bike and I need a rear seat. I installed a quick release bracket for the front wheel in the trunk. I can drop the driver side rear seat only and the bike fits, backwards, standing up.

I'm 6'1 and the seat hits the headliner.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

So much faster and simpler to use my Thule hitch rack instead. Then I can throw all my other gear into the hatch...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
high_rpm
Track Day

@docwyte,

I agree about the hitch rack. Much easier.

But many days in the summer, I take the bike to work for a lunch ride, or I make stops during the day when I have the bike with me. In these cases, it's definitely safer in the car than on a rack.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by high_rpm
But many days in the summer, I take the bike to work for a lunch ride, or I make stops during the day when I have the bike with me. In these cases, it's definitely safer in the car than on a rack.
Agreed. Definitely better to have it locked up inside vs trying to prevent it from being stolen on the back. On the back I'd only expect a cable to slow them down enough potentially invite unwanted attention. But not off in some parking garage or out where folks wouldn't pay that kind of attention. Even then, someone yanking on the bike trying to steal it would likely end up causing paint damage to the vehicle. Lots of 'losing propositions' there.

Not sure I'd drill a mount through the flooring though. But I don't know if there'd be enough clearance to rig up that same sort of axle mount and still find a way to secure it to the cargo hooks. I've got the cargo management rails and some T-bolts and a piece of 1/4" sheet steel would probably work. Keep some knurled ***** on the T-bolts to make it easy to remove/replace as needed. Not sure there'd be as easy a way to do that with the hooks.

Still, it was clever to put the axle mount there...
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
high_rpm
Track Day

@wkearney99, I was really debating whether to drill the holes or try something like you mentioned - a longer piece of steel as support.

In the end, I decided to go with the drilling. My Cayenne specifically is older and just not worth enough for me to worry about the holes.

But if you have a newer/nicer one, the nice thing about the thick carpet in the back is that when you remove the bolts for the mount, the carpeting does a nice job of hiding the holes.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by high_rpm
My Cayenne specifically is older and just not worth enough for me to worry about the holes.
Heh, at a certain point they all go from being a shrine to just another beater. Which is probably fair to say applies to a lot of things in life!

Quick Reply: Will a bicycle fit in the back of a Cayenne?