Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts
Default PDCC- is it worth it?

Hello all,

I have been in a hunt for an '06 TTS or an '08 TT and have looked at a ton of vehicles. I have been leaning towards a really nice '06 TTS that is fully loaded and had an original price of $130k+...

I have also just found a fantastic '08, also fully loaded, but it also comes with PDCC. I have heard rave reviews about this option and am seriously considering going that route. Unfortunately I have also heard a lot of issues with the system: lines have blown out, pressure issues, etc... From my understanding of the PDCC system, it is fairly basic and probably not rocket science to work on, but as I have been wrenching on my own 911s (5 over the last 28 years) I would like to maintain my Cayenne myself.

Thoughts about the PDCC system, both from a performance standpoint and a reliability/maintenance standpoint?

TIA.

Cheers,
Freezing in Orlando
TomF
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PDCC makes a huge difference to the car but may inspire overconfidence. The flat cornering is awesome but comes with a slight lack of feel, keep your head straight and every thing will be fine.

No issues with mine, but as with everything internet forums will exaggerate any issues which may be present.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting to see the evolution of the PDCC. One photo is from the Offroad Package and the other, with the Chestnut leather, is the '08 PDCC incarnation in the car that I am looking at.

Cheers,
TomF
Attachment 797406Attachment 797407

Last edited by TomF; 08-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, 08 incarnation but will emulate the sway bar disconnection in the earlier off-road package.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
PDCC makes a huge difference to the car but may inspire overconfidence. The flat cornering is awesome but comes with a slight lack of feel, keep your head straight and every thing will be fine.

No issues with mine, but as with everything internet forums will exaggerate any issues which may be present.
Thanks for the comments. Coming from the 911 world, I really hate the "SUV lean" and while the Cayenne Turbo is way better than most, I have heard that the PDCC really makes it corner much flatter like a 911... albeit with a lot more weight.

The online car reviews that I have read about PDCC off road are very impressive. The writers all are amazed at the capabilities being able to disconnect the sway bars automatically for deep ruts, etc...

I have no plans to take my Cayenne into that extreme conditions, but I very regularly drive one of the most fantastic highways in Washington in all conditions, and usually have it to myself, and am tired of doing in our Rav4! The 911 Cab is great, but I can't bring my 80-lb Golden Retriever and my better half and all our gear.

I can only imagine what WA20 would be like in a Cayenne with PDCC!

Thanks,
TomF
Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
Yep, 08 incarnation but will emulate the sway bar disconnection in the earlier off-road package.
Was there also an off-road package available, or did it get folded into the newer PDCC incarnation?

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Was there also an off-road package available, or did it get folded into the newer PDCC incarnation?

Cheers,
TomF
The "advanced off-road technical package" was discontinued when the 957 came out with PDCC.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
The "advanced off-road technical package" was discontinued when the 957 came out with PDCC.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

As discussed in the other threads, I'm a huge fan of the 08 with PDCC. I'm truly impressed at how well it controls body roll. The 08 in sport mode on the lowest height setting is just remarkable. In my opinion, it's not even a fair comparison to the 955.

Don't make a decision without driving both. I was pretty set on the 2006 TTS, but I'm glad we drove an 08.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
16thgreen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent more than two years searching and test driving before I bought mine and frankly, when I first started I didn’t even know about PDCC. I just noticed on a test drive one day that one car handled "so much" differently than the rest – that’s when PDCC became an important option on my want list. Fortunately as a buyer (and now unfortunately as an owner) over my two year search, Cayenne resale depreciation allowed me to get into a ’09 CTTS where PDCC is standard equipment. In buying a used Cayenne there are certainly lots of variables to consider, but IMO, PDCC is a performance difference maker. I’m not sure I would have been as happy in another car without it.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom,

Was just in a similar boat looking for an 05-06 CTT in FL but ended up going with an 08. Very glad that we did and PDCC is one of the reasons for it. I know all the CTTs with air suspension will handle better than your typical SUV but you need to drive one with PDCC. I'd go so far as saying the way the thing handles without any roll is more impressive than the speed!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
digitaljok
Advanced

PDCC is indeed great, and I would get it again, but only with CPO coverage. In 20 months of ownership, the '09 CTTS has been at the dealer for ~30 days total on 3-4 separate visits to chase down a PDCC problem. The work would have cost $5k+ parts & labor out of pocket without coverage, not including the panamera loaner. Even if you're handy in the garage, parts won't come cheaply but you're probably used to that by now with your 911's. Goes without saying, this is not something you want to see in the morning:

Name:  h0yiFbh.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  254.9 KB
Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
16thgreen
Intermediate

[QUOTE=digitaljok;11058646]PDCC is indeed great, and I would get it again, but only with CPO coverage. In 20 months of ownership, the '09 CTTS has been at the dealer for ~30 days total on 3-4 separate visits to chase down a PDCC problem. The work would have cost $5k+ parts & labor out of pocket without coverage, not including the panamera loaner. Even if you're handy in the garage, parts won't come cheaply but you're probably used to that by now with your 911's. Goes without saying, this is not something you want to see in the morning:

I hope your PDCC problems are not the norm. In my two year search (quest) to find a turbo, I had many discussions with almost all of the SF Bay Area Porsche service managers. And I inquired about idiosyncrasies and problematic mechanical components to be aware of. Not one of these people had any precautions regarding PDCC reliability. I found most service managers (not all) were very open (and honest) to discussing shortcomings of the vehicle. Sonnen and Rector in particular are two dealers here that have really great service department personnel. As with any car there are always exceptions. Could pre-existing ownership care or maintenance be responsible in your case?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies and information. I am pretty much convinced that I want the '08 with PDCC as I just spoke to a colleague who had the privilege of attending the Porsche Experience in Las Vegas and raved about the Cayenne's offloading ability with PDCC. This is coming from a seriously hardcore Toyota Landcruiser owner. He said that the Cayenne remained completely flat in incredibly extreme situations. On the track, he indicated that he was holding on for dear life...and the vehicle didn't lean hardly at all, despite its incredible mass.

The system, as I see it, in the Porsche manuals and tech bulletins, is not very complicated. It should be interesting to wrench on it if it has issues.On the other hand, I hope not, as I would really like to focus on rebuilding my 911's engine!

Thanks for your input.

Best,
TomF
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies and information. I am pretty much convinced that I want the '08 with PDCC as I just spoke to a colleague who had the privilege of attending the Porsche Experience in Las Vegas and raved about the Cayenne's offloading ability with PDCC. This is coming from a seriously hardcore Toyota Landcruiser owner. He said that the Cayenne remained completely flat in incredibly extreme situations. On the track, he indicated that he was holding on for dear life...and the vehicle didn't lean hardly at all, despite its incredible mass.

The system, as I see it, in the Porsche manuals and tech bulletins, is not very complicated. It should be interesting to wrench on it if it has issues.On the other hand, I hope not, as I would really like to focus on rebuilding my 911's engine!

Thanks for your input.

Best,
TomF
You won't regret looking for a PDCC equipped 08!

Quick Reply: PDCC- is it worth it?