Water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:34 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Water pump questions

New '04 CTT owner with 59k miles.

I noticed when I picked up the car that the temperature gauge would move up slightly in traffic from about 180 to 195 or so.

3 days later, I thought I saw a little steam coming from the front of the car. Later that day after coming home from errands, there was quite a bit of steam coming out from the front.

I'm going to assume its the water pump since the temperature gauge was moving in traffic.

My questions are:

1. What antifreeze to use?
2. What waterpump to get? Laso?
3. There's really no drain for the radiator?

Thanks.

Love the car so far, but my girlfriend is going to kill me if its down too long.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM
John Welch.
Racer

One more question, where is the best place to buy the FSM?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I believe the Pentafrost is equivalent to the Porsche OEM; local auto shops carry it;

2. I did the OEM from sunset - whatever Porsche sells them. It was cheap.

3. Your '04 CTT does have a little blue radiator drain plug on the passenger side. It's a little bit of a challenge to empty with the apron in the way, but essentially you remove the 2 under-engine plastic guards (black), then the 4 bolts for the gray apron (i.e., bottom of the bumper cover) if you didn't already. Then there's a metal support bar under the radiator with 2 bolts on either side.

I found it easiest to remove both bolts from the passenger side but only one on the driver's side (loosening the other) and slide the support toward the front of the car under the apron. Then, get a funnel with a wide enough opening that you can insert a wide flathead screwdriver up from the bottom and position in place. Then unscrew the little blue drain plug and drain into a collector of some sort. It also helps to unscrew the coolant cap on top.

BUT... if your water pump is truly going bad, I think you would see a steady stream of coolant coming down the front of the engine. And some real play in the pulley if you wobbled it around.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 PM
John Welch.
Racer

I finally had a dribble of coolant in the front of the engine, so I changed the water pump.

Thanks Sean, I ended up loosening some screws in the wheel wells that attached the front bumper and that gave me enough room to wriggle the apron to get to the support bracket.

Unfortunately, I have steam coming from somewhere in front of the engine about in the middle of the radiator, but I really can't tell where its coming from.

It doesn't look like there's anything that carries water near there except for the radiator and the water pump, and the water pump looks dry. The steam is thickest around the middle of the radiator.

I guess I need to get a telescoping mirror to see, but is there anything else it could be besides the radiator?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
John Welch.
Racer

After driving for a couple of days and letting the car idle for a few minutes, I haven't seen any more steam and the needle has been fairly steady, always touching the 180 mark, so I think the water pump fixed my rising temperature issue and the steam must have been from what I spilled during the swap.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the follow up! Keep us informed.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
1. I believe the Pentafrost is equivalent to the Porsche OEM; local auto shops carry it;

2. I did the OEM from sunset - whatever Porsche sells them. It was cheap.

3. Your '04 CTT does have a little blue radiator drain plug on the passenger side. It's a little bit of a challenge to empty with the apron in the way, but essentially you remove the 2 under-engine plastic guards (black), then the 4 bolts for the gray apron (i.e., bottom of the bumper cover) if you didn't already. Then there's a metal support bar under the radiator with 2 bolts on either side.

I found it easiest to remove both bolts from the passenger side but only one on the driver's side (loosening the other) and slide the support toward the front of the car under the apron. Then, get a funnel with a wide enough opening that you can insert a wide flathead screwdriver up from the bottom and position in place. Then unscrew the little blue drain plug and drain into a collector of some sort. It also helps to unscrew the coolant cap on top.

BUT... if your water pump is truly going bad, I think you would see a steady stream of coolant coming down the front of the engine. And some real play in the pulley if you wobbled it around.
My '06 didn't have the blue radiator plug and it was a PITA to get that lower hose fitting out of the radiator. It's not like the normal hose fitting.

Quick Reply: Water pump questions