Sponsored by:

Thinking of buy 105k 2005 Turbo Good Idea or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
mcdonagh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buy 105k 2005 Turbo Good Idea or Bad

I just did a pre purchase inspection on a 2005 Cayenne Turbo. It came up clean. What should I be concerned about? And is it a good idea to buy a higher mileage Cayenne?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

Cars with higher mileage can be had for a very good price, and that makes them attractive. If you have the maintenance records and the car has been properly serviced and had the problem areas addressed, then it could be a very good buy.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be fine with it if the price is fair.

These have proven to be pretty solid, reliable, and the best bargain in the automotive world right now!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Exactly. If the known problems have been addressed, that's a good start.

Things like hood shocks, parking brake strut, hatch shocks, and other minor items would be things to check yourself.

Other things that might not show up on the pre-purchase inspection are suspension component wear. Control arms, shocks, etc, can also be worn, but not come up on a dealer prepared inspection. This can add up quickly if they need replacement (and exponentially if you have a shop do the work).

It also depends on how much you want the car to be 100%. I think we're all a little OCD when it comes to these toys so to make it right, it may mean more time and $$$ than you may have expected, or not.

I'm coming up on 1 year with the CS and so far, knock on wood, it's been great after addressing all the warts and wobbles.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:43 PM
AdMan21
Racer

I'd sell you mine, all records from day 1, everything up to date, an 04 with 94k miles, 19.5k
Its a great deal IMO
Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Whiplash_89
Advanced

Originally Posted by AdMan21
I'd sell you mine, all records from day 1, everything up to date, an 04 with 94k miles, 19.5k
Its a great deal IMO
Are you on xceed?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 PM
AdMan21
Racer

yes sir, making my rounds
Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Whiplash_89
Advanced

Ah good stuff. I commented in your thread in there lol, gl.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdMan21
Its a great deal IMO
I actually think that is a very fair price for a CTT, considering the pedigree and documented work.

Whoever said these vehicles are one of the best automotive values in the marketplace is right. You can pick one up 80% depreciated, but with 100k miles or more of useable life left on a vehicle that's 95% as nimble as off the showroom floor. These CTTs were damn fast sports cars when released, masquerading as soccer hauler SUVs that could tow your boat or real sports car to the track. The build quality is very good, all things considered, and along with regular maintenance consumables there are a handful of usual suspects that require attntion; spin the wheel on maybe one of those as your membership fee each year.

My experience is there's a sweet spot in terms of mileage on buying a used Cayenne: super low miles may seems like a great deal at first, but some of the larger items can remain lurking - i.e., added (hidden) expense. I probably wouldn't buy a used one under 50K unless I knew everything was "broken in".

100K miles on these things is middle age. I'm aiming to hit 250k - truly - and the only real hindrance might be stumbling upon a newer model CTT for a crazy deal. Even then, the newer models are very much road-focused cars (a la BMW X5). Or if Porsche comes out with a 3-row vehicle...

As you cross over 100k, you will need to plan to do some or all of these:

drive shaft (cardan) every 40k-ish
hatch shocks front and rear
coolant tees again every 50k-ish
coolant reservoir
control arms maybe every 50k
engine mounts/torque arm
occassional vent or other lines breaking
serpentine belt might be due
water pump
maybe transmission and/or differential fluids
maybe air bags?

Along with a steady diet of:

premium gas
oil
brake rotors and pads

And the regular scheduled maintenance items like plugs, filters, etc. Almost all of thse have DIYs in here.

Do it and if you hate it, ship it to Russia or China and make money.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buy 105k 2005 Turbo Good Idea or Bad