Sponsored by:

2014 GTS has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:47 AM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
With the double pane glass, does it shield the radar detector?
I haven't used a radar detector for about 15 years. Speed all the time. Just pay attention. I get a ticket about every 2 to 3 years.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 AM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
Congrats, sounds great! Now let's see some pics before it's destroyed inside lol.
Thanks. And yeah right! It was raining the day I picket it up and now there is snow. I'll get a few pics when the weather turns nice and the roads are clean again. I really need to put my snow tires/ wheels on because these summer performance tires are down right dangerous. I have to drive really carefully on the icy roads. My front wheel drive Honda with cheap all season tires would do better. Big fat hard tires.

I have tape on the carpet in all the places where my feet usually touch until I get something to cover it up. The Weather tech mats are probably better than stock but actually don't cover up the areas where I have the tape. If they just covered (at least) the whole foot rest I would buy them. I might have to anyhow and make rubber additions to cover the problem areas. Foot rest. To the right of the accelerator pedal. And the rise at the back below the seat where your heels hit. Weathertech might cover the front edge that last area. But probably not the top of it.

I ordered a set of the Audeltech mats. I however am not convinced it is a real company. I cant find anything on them from searching the internet except comments that read like they probably wrote them themselves and in broken English. I received a conformation email saying the order had been placed but noting stating when they may ship out. I emailed them and asked when and if they even had them in stock and didn't get a reply back after a week. I put them on Paypal and got a notice from PP that the charge would not apply until they shipped. I might end up with the Weathertech by default.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:09 AM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackland
Nice ride!

We bought the wheel warranty based on the dealer telling us it covered any damage. My wife hits a lot of curbs, the warranty company (Zurich) denied the claim because they say it only covers rim damage if the tire is destroyed. I hope your warranty is better than the we we bought.
I was suspicious about it but I specifically asked about curb scuffs and the dealer said that was covered. I'll of course try not to do that but with low profile tires and wide rims it's hard to never do it over the years. I did it a few times in my Audi and was careful.

I guess we will see how it works out.

They cover paint chips and door dings. They cover a lost key. Never had that happen, but it's $400 if it does. They detail the car and reapply the coatings once a year for 5 years. That is probably worth at least $1000. I already have a small stain on my seat. Chocolate I think. I'll see if they get that off. I tried leather cleaner and it got 90%. But not the last 10.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
I haven't used a radar detector for about 15 years. Speed all the time. Just pay attention. I get a ticket about every 2 to 3 years.
Sadly, around Silicon Valley, if you're over about 7mph above the limit, it's not the ticket, it's the 30-45 minutes on the side of the road with trucks flying by and the cop intent on harassing you till you end up with at least $200 in add-ons, then you have to go to court to prove you have insurance or whatever, so there's another half a day, etc. There's also been some sort of "blitz" on phone use. A friend was ticketed for having a headset on (?) ... guilty with no way of proving innocence other than to spend money going to court and having the judge summarily dismiss (as has already happened in a Google Glass case.) Much better to have the various countermeasures and avoid the indirect tax revenue monster altogether.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM
modifier
Instructor

Little update. Sorry still no good photos of my GTS. I took some with my phone but they did not do the color justice. Once the weather clears up for good I'll try to get some good ones and post. Love the car and the color combination.

The Adeltech, Chinese full coverage floor mats have been installed for a while now and while they don't fit a well as they do in the sales photos, they work well. There doesn't seem to be any way to attach the mats to the side of the console area without drilling some holes for screws. There is some gaping but no too bad. 1 screw on each front mat at the upper back corner would help a lot and 2 on each would completely solve it. I may use some small stainless screws later. The mats do go all the way up to where the console plastic starts, so there is no place where you will touch the carpet with your shoes. They cover everything and even wrap around the side of the base on the outsides of the seats. I did throw in a factory carpet mat over the drivers mat so I don't wear out the vinyl and to make it easier to remove an clean when it's snowy or wet out. For $200 it is a worth while investment.

If someone wanted to get really industrious they would buy a set of these, use them as a pattern and have them remade in leather and tweak the fitment here and there and possibly have a US marketable product. I'd pay a lot more for a really great set.

I've been running my 20" series 1 Techart wheels with snow tires since the first snow and find it gets around quite well. Not as well as my 2000 S4 Audi with skinny Blizzacks and 50 50 axle bias. But that was a much lighter car with narrower tires, so I'm not complaining.

A couple weeks ago when it was dry I decided to see how the off road mode worked. I have a pretty high and steep grass slope going up to my front yard from the street. Maybe 4 or 5 feet tall. I switched into full height and full locked off road mode and crawled right up it with no slippage or rubbing. I approached it at an angle and the front leading wheel was off the ground pretty far but no worries. When I cam back down and turned onto the pavement the tires were chirping a bit showing how well the drive train was actually locked up. I have the PDCC and PTV options installed.

Commuting around town is a pleasant experience again.

Now if I just had 100 to 150 more HP. Wish someone would do a Supercharger kit.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM
JFR-
Advanced

Originally Posted by modifier
Little update...
Thanks for the update. I've been especially curious about those floor mats and appreciate the information. My camel interior really shows dirt along the sides of the foot wells where my flat rubber mats stop. It would be great if you can take some pics of your installed mats and the areas you found them lacking a little. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It didn't happen because there are no pictures. Please share your visual experience too.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM
modifier
Instructor

You can see what the mats look like by clicking on the link I provided. I'll take some photos of them in place and include problem areas tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM
modifier
Instructor

OK. Here are some shots I took before, that I wasn't satisfied with. But it is something.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM
modifier
Instructor

I just went out side in the dark and took a couple more.

The problem areas are where the wing wraps around the seat base but does not conform, this is not as bad on the passenger side, I tend to hit my heal on it every time I get out, and how the inside vertical gaps away from the console, this is worse on the passenger side. Nothing seems to be effected by seat movement.

The came with some plastic wafers with snap on buttons that I think are designed to go under the plastic above the carpet on the console. However the carpet bulges out on the Cayenne and there is no way to slip the wafer under.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

horrid
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry not feeling the mats either. I bought the OEM ones from porsche, less protection but adequate imo
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 PM
HOiYA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CGTS is beautiful, but the mats leave me speechless....
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All in favor, IIIIIII, The mats should go. The car is very nice! Invest in a wet dry vac and sweep daily.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gd those are terrible mats.

Quick Reply: 2014 GTS has arrived