Sponsored by:

Replacement battery info

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacement battery info

The '10 GTS' battery was starting to go so I started searching for a replacement. For the '06 S I had replaced it with a Interstate MTP-H8 battery but it was just a little bit shorter than the battery I took out. Worked fine and I was able to secure it with the stock battery clamp but I wanted to get the full size battery if I could. Doing a search here found folks had used a Duralast H8-DLG so I picked one up at AutoZone. Unfortunately it too is a little bit short but like the Interstate the stock clamp has a secure hold on the battery, it's not moving.

If someone knows of the exact replacement battery please post here, thanks.

Stock battery: 15.5"(L) x 7"(W) x 7.5"(H) (apx measurements)

Duralast H8-DLG: 13 15/16"(L) x 6 15/16"(W) x 7.5"(H)
CCA = 900, CA = 1000, Res = 185
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 09 turbo has the option code J0Z (Battery 520 A (110 Ah)). I was recommended the Bosch S5 015 as a direct replacement for the OEM; it has the same specs and apart from the colour and the name on the box it looks identical to the original L = 393 mm (15.5") W = 175 mm (6.89") H = 190 mm (7.5")

See link Bosch PDF Last Page
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe the Bosch is available in USA/Canada as i tried to get it for my 04.

Ended up just replacing with original Porsche (moll) battery for about $237.

Originally Posted by mcbit
My 09 turbo has the option code J0Z (Battery 520 A (110 Ah)). I was recommended the Bosch S5 015 as a direct replacement for the OEM; it has the same specs and apart from the colour and the name on the box it looks identical to the original L = 393 mm (15.5") W = 175 mm (6.89") H = 190 mm (7.5")

See link Bosch PDF Last Page
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Borsch battery last week (Montreal, Canada) to replace the OE (moll). I recall its about 3/4" shorter.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brit6
Don't believe the Bosch is available in USA/Canada as i tried to get it for my 04.

Ended up just replacing with original Porsche (moll) battery for about $237.
They have a US website here which advertises S5 batteries

Mine was about $130

Originally Posted by mr2sc
I just bought the Borsch battery last week (Montreal, Canada) to replace the OE (moll). I recall its about 3/4" shorter.
Mine was identical in size to the original.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
theprezzz77
Track Day

Hey Bill (and fellow Rennlisters),

What made you think that your batteries were getting old? I have an 09 GTS that I seldomly drive, and as I was taking her out for a spirited drive yesterday, I got a "load management error" code that stayed for only a couple seconds. Also, and potentially completely non-related, I had my in dash freeze on me approximately at the same time.
Would we assume it needs a new battery? Can I just use a voltmeter to test it from under the bonnet?
Thanks!

Dino (Hope I didn't hijack your thread!)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by theprezzz77

What made you think that your batteries were getting old? I have an 09 GTS that I seldomly drive, and as I was taking her out for a spirited drive yesterday, I got a "load management error" code that stayed for only a couple seconds. Also, and potentially completely non-related, I had my in dash freeze on me approximately at the same time.
Would we assume it needs a new battery? Can I just use a voltmeter to test it from under the bonnet?
Thanks!

On my 05 CTT I would get the occasional 4WD failure warning at start up: eventually before changing the battery the same warning would appear every time I started the car. Cured this by changing the battery, however not once did the old battery ever have the slightest issue with starting the motor.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:23 PM
pclewis
Cruisin'

Anybody know the replacement for the 2013 Cayenne Diesel? I think it is S4 BCI 92
Old 12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theprezzz77

Thanks!

No hijack at all...
Well, about 4 weeks ago I did a really dumb thing, after installing the V1 I left the key in the ignition...... for about 3 days. Got in the car and immediately realized what I had done. Battery was stone flat dead (NOT good for a battery). Not even enough juice for the ignition lock to release the key.

Had to disconnect the battery neg term and charge the battery up directly just to get the key out. Charged it up over a couple of days but had noticed the charge meter on the dash would be very close to the "16" reading and stay that way for much longer than it should. Then Sun. AM started the car in the garage and it didn't turn over near as fast as it should have so I replaced it Sun.

It always been my policy to treat batteries as a consumable maint. item, I don't wait for them to leave me stranded somewhere before I replace them. On cars from Volvos to Chevys to BMW's I've had flaky electrical problems pop up, sometimes the batteries "tested" ok but always failed again so I don't wait, any signs of battery issues I replace it. One of the Volvo's was really weird, started having radio problems about 2 months before, took it to the shop for the radio issue but they never found anything. After replacing the battery no more radio problems.

Consider the Production date of your car when you look at how old the battery is, if it's over 4 yrs. old I would consider that a good life. On one old BMW motorcycle I had I got over 10 yrs. out of the original battery, but that was the exception.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

In the past I have had a few batteries test good only to totally fail a short time later, so now any indication of battery problems and I replace, especially before winter or a out of town drive.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

Exactly why I replaced it in my 09S.
These cars have a lot of gizmos that can be tough on batteries.
It seemed that on the coldest days mine was turning over a bit slower than usual, so I figured why try to milk that last electron out of it.

Chances are, that it would have failed at the most in opportune moment, when it's coldest out. So, after 4yrs, to me it's cheap insurance.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using an Odyssey PC1350 for the main battery. I really don't think you can do better.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bill, it looks like you may have jinxed us GTS owners....

With temps hovering around 8-10°F yesterday, I had the seat warmers on along with the rear window defroster and heater on full. Battery malfunction light came on shortly thereafter and instantly turned off all my accessories with the exception of the radio. Needle hovered just under 12V in place of the usual 14.5-8V. At least I got to listen to The Stones while freezing my butt off...

Last winter, cold cranking was becoming slower yet I persevered and charged the battery religiously @ 2A on a weekly basis. This year, I've been neglectful in repeating this exercise and realized that the old gal needed some new life.

Last nite, I looked at the interstate battery and compared it to the stock Moll unit. One concern I had was that the positive lead may have had to be stretched to reach the +-post due to the smaller width. This morning I bit the bullet and had the dealer replace it with an original Moll unit. The original battery set me back $330 + installation.

Oddly enough, since the repair this morning, I've been having some pain when sitting on my backside....
Old 12-14-2013, 06:33 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Eastpenn and the Deka line for NA oem AGM replacment. My TDI uses a G95.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

I have the original battery in my '06 w/ 63k miles and even though I left the keys in the ignition in the summer and killed the battery, the battery charged back to capacity and my battery turns over and starts my car just like when new. I must be living on borrowed time, so I will start pricing batteries today.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery info