Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Zero to Cayenne Diesel in 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. No matter what the engine, its all good.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I just can't believe this beast uses less fuel than an economy car and goes as fast as it does.
Wait until you figure out it gets it's best milage when you can let it cruise in the 70-80 range
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. No matter what the engine, its all good.

Wait until you figure out it gets it's best milage when you can let it cruise in the 70-80 range
Thanks, just loving the Porsche. Although I love my 4 yr old 535i, it seems a big step up in overall quality from the BMW. I bet the MPGs are amazing at 70-80, if you can keep it that slow.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:37 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scosurf
I have one on the way from Seattle barrier Porsche. 2011 Porsche cd with cpo. Shipped yesterday and pending the Midwest weather will see it a week. Currently have a x5d. Bob
A 2011 diesel?

I heard mixed news on the x5d. Can't argue with its success though. In lower CT, its pretty popular.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

My mistake typo 2013. From barrier Porsche easy transaction with Matt. Now just wait will try to copy the build sheet.
Thanks bob
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Congrats! I wouldn't let the car run more than 500 miles on a tank unless it is thoroughly checked by the dealer. There is a recall out for recent Cayennes dealing with running out of gas. Something that happened to us. It's the only issue we've had and otherwise love our CD!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:09 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks great! Congratulations! The diesel is the way to go for sure. Ours seems to go forever before having to fill…..even being the 4.2 8. The economy around town is amazing and trips bumping @ 8.5 or less is never going to be matched by any petrol 8. The best of both worlds! Soo glad we went the oiler.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Congrats! I wouldn't let the car run more than 500 miles on a tank unless it is thoroughly checked by the dealer. There is a recall out for recent Cayennes dealing with running out of gas. Something that happened to us. It's the only issue we've had and otherwise love our CD!!!
Not that I advocate running it completely out of gas, but going low while it's Porsche's responsibility to fix it is better than finding out the hard way on your own dime that your gauge is off. If you can bring it down to about 1/16th of a tank and the subsequent fill is in the 24.5 gallon range then you can be pretty sure that your gauge is working from full to empty.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:10 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
It looks great! Congratulations! The diesel is the way to go for sure. Ours seems to go forever before having to fill…..even being the 4.2 8. The economy around town is amazing and trips bumping @ 8.5 or less is never going to be matched by any petrol 8. The best of both worlds! Soo glad we went the oiler.
I just could not envision in this day and age buying a low mpg vehicle as a daily driver. Now, for the weekend car, different story. So happy with the diesel, we hope its good for many, many miles.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks- we filled up at quarter tank, after 445 miles. Took on 20.5 gallons. I think the gauge is ok. Too bad you learned the hard way. You could empty your tank in 500 miles of city driving. I will check to see if my CD needs the recall.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Not that I advocate running it completely out of gas, but going low while it's Porsche's responsibility to fix it is better than finding out the hard way on your own dime that your gauge is off. If you can bring it down to about 1/16th of a tank and the subsequent fill is in the 24.5 gallon range then you can be pretty sure that your gauge is working from full to empty.
Amazing fuel capacity. A 747 like fuel tank!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Amazing until you have to wait 15 minutes for it to fill up and then look at the price when it's done. Then I have another few descriptive words for the gas tank
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Oh...4.2 V8 diesel. Now I'm just green with envy. I'll just have to live with my 3.0 V6.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Oh...4.2 V8 diesel. Now I'm just green with envy. I'll just have to live with my 3.0 V6.
Sorry, wasn't meaning to steal your thunder because the 3.0d is truly an awesome SUV! and I mean that. I have driven quite a few over time now so i have a great feel of the charactoristics and differences between the 2 d cars. Actually, not having driven the 3.0 in some months I only got a loaner just the other day when i had my 911turbo in for annual service and was again reminded just what an awesome all rounder 3.0d is! I personally would choose it over petrol 8 just for its punchier down low in gear torque and economy it has for mainstream round town driving.

From my experience between 4.2d and 3.0d i would say under sporty driving the 3.0 does get better economy over 8d by a liter or 2 to the 100 and same with around town but v8d's power and engine note is substantial even by GTS standards...blows GTS away to give you an idea. Anyway enjoy your 3d in good health because it is the better choice over v8p imho and, you can't beat that fuel economy!!.. not having to watch the gauge and fill up all the time, is how it should be in a car like this!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Sorry, wasn't meaning to steal your thunder because the 3.0d is truly an awesome SUV! and I mean that. I have driven quite a few over time now so i have a great feel of the charactoristics and differences between the 2 d cars. Actually, not having driven the 3.0 in some months I only got a loaner just the other day when i had my 911turbo in for annual service and was again reminded just what an awesome all rounder 3.0d is! I personally would choose it over petrol 8 just for its punchier down low in gear torque and economy it has for mainstream round town driving.

From my experience between 4.2d and 3.0d i would say under sporty driving the 3.0 does get better economy over 8d by a liter or 2 to the 100 and same with around town but v8d's power and engine note is substantial even by GTS standards...blows GTS away to give you an idea. Anyway enjoy your 3d in good health because it is the better choice over v8p imho and, you can't beat that fuel economy!!.. not having to watch the gauge and fill up all the time, is how it should be in a car like this!
No thunder stolen at all, and thanks for the info on the 3d. I test drove the S, which was amazing, but thought the diesel made more sense in the long run. Pricing on 4.2d is likely going to be much higher, and would have been priced out of my range. Now lets talk about that 911 Turbo...that is thunder!

911 is on my shopping list. I'd be sooooo happy with a pretty basic 991.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
speed21
Banned

No thunder stolen at all, and thanks for the info on the 3d. I test drove the S, which was amazing, but thought the diesel made more sense in the long run. Pricing on 4.2d is likely going to be much higher, and would have been priced out of my range. Now lets talk about that 911 Turbo...that is thunder!

911 is on my shopping list. I'd be sooooo happy with a pretty basic 991.
I found petrol S very good too, but at lower revs in traffic not having that diesel torque on tap, switching lanes the V8P usually needs revs and gear shuffling where 3.0D just stays solid more or less in the same gear and all that torque blasts the job done. On a freeway v8p would have advantages having extra revs and power up top, but I found for most round town driving 3.0D drove less fussier in general lane manouvering.

And 997tt, well I've got out of our v8ds thinking how formidable that thing can be(and is) on the road only to be very quickly reminded just how much the turbo is a scalpel in comparison. I'm truly spoilt having both so if you can swing a 991 into the stable you will be a happy man. Any 991 is an awsome car. Drove the 991 tts the other day and in a way wish i didn't lol.

Quick Reply: From Zero to Cayenne Diesel in 2 Weeks