Sponsored by:

Sick of the headlight warnings

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of the headlight warnings

Hey all. I have an 06 S, and pretty much everything has been rock solid on it for 150K, barring any wear or maintenance items. One thing that is haunting me though, is the frequent dipped beam warning, or turn indicator warning, or cornering light warning.

At one point I got all new bulbs, cleaned each socket and connector and tried again. I will say, every socket and connector looked as clean as the day it was built, nice and shiny. Worked for a day or so then the warnings came back. The block connector in the back of the assembly is also bright and shiny clean, but I hit it with an electrical cleaner and eraser anyway, as I did the mating side. The problem still persists.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this once and for all other than drive it into a &#*@ Tree?

Thanks!
bob
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been getting the Check Dipped Beam warning on the '06 for a few months. I tried most of the fix suggestions but no help. I got tired of messing with it. It's at the dealer now, they say it's one of the front leveling sensors, waiting on the part now.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Let me know how that turns out! In my case the bulbs actually go out. Left blinker one day, then cornering light, then its the other side etc... Pull out headlight assembly, put it back in (without doing a damn thing) and its fine again for a bit. Its not like I can put in the headlight any further! And Im pretty sure Im putting the lock thing in correctly
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the pig tail connections that are at the back of the headlamp mounting assembly. I have heard of them becoming frayed and burned for some reason and shorting out causing the problems you are describing. Electrical problems are a hard thing to trace down. Mine did this when I first purchased the 06S but has been fine for the last four years. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Hadnt thought to look there, I definitely will.. thank you!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Same issue but with corner bulbs only, put new ones in, same crap error. There is a post on installing all new harnesses floating around here that has been a fix for some.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As a former 928 owner, there was one thing that always came up quickly from other forum members when electrical issues were afoot, electrical grounds. Clean them if possible or at least scuff them up good (loosing the bolt and retighten a couple of times). It's amazing how electrical gremlins go away when grounds are cleaned.

I know it sounds too simplistic but anyone that's owned a 928 with electrical issues at some point found it to be that darn simple.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mxquattro
Let me know how that turns out! In my case the bulbs actually go out. Left blinker one day, then cornering light, then its the other side etc... Pull out headlight assembly, put it back in (without doing a damn thing) and its fine again for a bit. Its not like I can put in the headlight any further! And Im pretty sure Im putting the lock thing in correctly
Your issue sounds a good bit worse than mine.

Wish I could help. Best of luck resolving it.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

When I chase electrical issues, I always clean, polish, sand and Die electric grease.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
pancholi
Advanced

been having similar issues.
i read in another thread that by ever so slightly bending the male connectors on the lamp unit it should make a firmer connection.
i have tried that and also sprayed a product that dries the area and gives a better electrical connection(cannot remember the name).
touch wood this has worked well ever since.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Replace the pigtails, if that does not do it, you probably need a new headlight.

The pigtail has the female part of the connector that will spread and loosen over time.

955 631 239 00 is the part

Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Or try this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...going-out.html
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The insulation on my pigtails basically fell off when I changed mine (brittle through heat and time) so there's plenty of potential for shorting.

Quick Reply: Sick of the headlight warnings