Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Cayenne Turbo Thanksgiving road trip report.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM
BOOSTD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Cayenne Turbo Thanksgiving road trip report.

I did a 5 day road trip that concluded last night. Dallas to Vegas and back. We started our adventure Wednesday morning, getting into Albuquerque in the evening. Along the way, I had to put in a quart of oil and got a random air suspension fault that never came back on after restarting the car.

We then started early on Thanksgiving day and got into Vegas in the early afternoon. Smooth sailing on this leg, but I did lose a wheel cap somewhere on I40.

In Vegas, we picked up a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer to move some stuff back. I didn't have the wiring connector so had to get that from the Porsche dealer in LV so that I could have working tail lights.

We left Vegas Saturday afternoon and got into Albuquerque at about 1am. Start our last leg Sunday morning at 7am, finally arriving back in Dallas at around 7pm.

The Cayenne ran strong both with and without the trailer. In fact, driving back, I was averaging 90+ with the trailer until I got a speeding ticket in Hedley, TX. The Cayenne felt so smooth even with all the additional weight.

Final cost report (not counting lodging/food/most shopping):
$600 for tires right before the trip
$250 for a 1-way trailer
~$700 for gas over 2650 miles
$58 for the wiring connector for the hitch
$7 for 1 quart of Mobile1
$215 for 91 in a 75 while pulling a trailer
$744 for a Vizio 60" BF doorbuster at a random Walmart on the way home

All in all, great fun!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 PM
something clever
2nd Gear

Good to hear! Have my own 3000 mile trip in two weeks, Seattle to Yuma via SF on the way down and Salt Lake on the way back. The '05 turbo is still in the garage on jacks waiting for the triple square drivers from the internets to remove the rear brakes/rotors. Fronts are done with the new winter wheels and blizzaks installed. changed the drive shaft last month, the coils and plugs the month before. Looking for the rear hatch cylinders and hope to have them changed before we leave. By your gas bill it looks like 15 mpg and $4 gas? That's about my guess for my trip. At what speed does mileage start really dropping? I don't mind backing off a bit but I can not travel 3K mi. at 60mph or less.

I want to add a trailer hitch but not necessary for this trip. Bought this thing last spring with 90K on it. Been spendy but really enjoy it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always found 75-80 mph to be a pretty economical speed.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:54 AM
ZoomingBy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BOOSTD
I did a 5 day road trip that concluded last night. Dallas to Vegas and back. We started our adventure Wednesday morning, getting into Albuquerque in the evening. Along the way, I had to put in a quart of oil and got a random air suspension fault that never came back on after restarting the car.

We then started early on Thanksgiving day and got into Vegas in the early afternoon. Smooth sailing on this leg, but I did lose a wheel cap somewhere on I40.

In Vegas, we picked up a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer to move some stuff back. I didn't have the wiring connector so had to get that from the Porsche dealer in LV so that I could have working tail lights.

We left Vegas Saturday afternoon and got into Albuquerque at about 1am. Start our last leg Sunday morning at 7am, finally arriving back in Dallas at around 7pm.

The Cayenne ran strong both with and without the trailer. In fact, driving back, I was averaging 90+ with the trailer until I got a speeding ticket in Hedley, TX. The Cayenne felt so smooth even with all the additional weight.

Final cost report (not counting lodging/food/most shopping):
$600 for tires right before the trip
$250 for a 1-way trailer
~$700 for gas over 2650 miles
$58 for the wiring connector for the hitch
$7 for 1 quart of Mobile1
$215 for 91 in a 75 while pulling a trailer
$744 for a Vizio 60" BF doorbuster at a random Walmart on the way home

All in all, great fun!
I had to add a quart of oil after 2800 Miles (bought new) - looks to be the norm for Cayenne engines from what I have seen so far, but I am still trying to get used to it!

Thanks for sharing - glad you had a safe trip and a lot of fun ...

Quick Reply: 05 Cayenne Turbo Thanksgiving road trip report.